Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirror tilt on reverse broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your last update is what version? Everyone has a potentially different ‘last update’.

Our passenger door mirror failed to fold back open for first drive on 2022.36.6 but has been fine since without any intervention. A manual reboot before first drive after installing update was performed as usual.

Just picked up a Model S Plaid built 5/18/23, running 2023.20.8 firmware. The mirrors will not restore any configured inward tilt when switching to reverse.

When I reverse, I bring up Settings and select Mirrors, then adjust downward and inward tilt to my liking. If I switch to Drive, the mirrors return to their original position. When I switch back to reverse, the mirror only tilt down, but not inward.

Same here… took delivery of a new Model S yesterday, and fiddled with the reverse tilt adjustment for way too long… and was unsuccessful in getting the tilt adjustments to save (contrary to the what the user manual says). Also noticed the passenger side adjustment was very limited. This worked perfectly in my 2012 MS. Looks like this has been a problem for a very long time (since the refresh?), so I guess I’ll need to get used to using the cameras instead.

Reactions: SucreTease
When I filed a service request on this problem, the mobile technician thought that it should work as described in the manual and as it worked on the pre-2021 models. Since he couldn't make it work, I had to take it into a service center. There, the service person argued that the manual doesn't say that the mirror settings on reverse will be saved and restored; I had to actually open the manual and prove to him that it did, indeed say that. In response, he then claimed that none of the current cars actually work that way. I pointed out that it works fine on our 2021 Model Y—just not the 2021+ model S.

I think it's appalling that after 3 years since it was introduced, the 2021+ Model S firmware has still not implemented what every other Tesla—both the previous and cheaper models—have done since the day the Model S was introduced. The Model S is supposed to be Tesla's flagship vehicle.