Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Tilt Mirror Won't Set

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our new (28th June 2023) Model YLR) doesn't save the position for the auto-tilt on reverse. And, it seems it has only just started doing this because I'm sure the left mirror used to drop all the way a few weeks ago.

No matter how many times I put the car in reverse, with Auto-tilt ON, and then set the desired position (then hit SAVE on the user profile drop down), it always reverts to the factory default tilt position and ignores any saved position in reverse. Normal, Drive mode mirror position saves properly.

This is extremely frustrating because without any visual confirmation when reverse parking, it's almost certain we'll damage our wheels before long.

I googled the issue and it seems it was an problem back in 2021 but that was 2 years ago, surely they would have corrected this. Is it me or is this a common issue?

Reactions: beachmiles
It does not save the tilted position and never has
That is insane! If it's been a known issue all along and hasn't been rectified, that's a disgrace. Come on Tesla, pull your finger out.

So is there a simple way to make the adjustment manually before reverse parking? I just know our beautiful 20" Induction wheels are going to be trashed without it. Maybe we should sent the repair bills to Tesla. ;)

Reactions: beachmiles
That is insane! If it's been a known issue all along and hasn't been rectified, that's a disgrace. Come on Tesla, pull your finger out.

So is there a simple way to make the adjustment manually before reverse parking? I just know our beautiful 20" Induction wheels are going to be trashed without it. Maybe we should sent the repair bills to Tesla. ;)
You will gradually uncover all of the things tesla has not dealt with or properly resolved

My 2012 Peugeot had dipping mirrors on reverse and they were independently settable to the profile. Not only could you preset the dip but also the angle.
It should be a "piece of cake" to do this on the Tesla and presumably someone just has to get around to it.
Presumably the more of us who groan about it, the more chance that someone will eventually prioritise it.

I agree the side mirror reverse tilt cannot see the rear wheels.

Hence I use the side cameras when reversing. . Much better view. Flick right stalk to R and press camera on screen. The driver looks at screen anyone when reversing, just add in the side cameras in same screen
Thanks @Quickst but are you talking about reversing or parallel parking. I mistakenly said reverse parking when what I actually meant 'parallel parking'. It's during this maneuver that we're most likely to damage rims.

I think the wheel that is the highest risk of kerb rash while parking in a Tesla is actually the Front passenger wheel.
The technique I use is to come in at a slight angle and get the rear wheel as close as I dare, then turn the steering wheel hard right (towards the road) and keep reversing until the front tyre touches the kerb.

That way it's guaranteed to hit with the tyre first, not the rim.

Keep the wheel turned, drive forwards a short distance to get a safe distance from the kerb and then straighten the steering wheel.