Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reversing issues in new MYP = accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, in a real bummer, our two-week old MYP has had an unfortunately meeting with a concrete car parking pole during a reverse park into a perpendicular parking spot. The post-accident analysis has brought up a number of issues that contributed to this:

(1) Reversing camera guidelines are off by about 30-50cm. I'd appreciate if others could test this to see if this is "normal" for this vehicle or if mine is just off. Park the car on flat ground, turn the wheel full lock to the left or right. Place an object on the floor just outside of the guidelines a few metres back on the inside corner, in a location where the guidelines say you shouldn't crash into that object. Then reverse without rotating the steering wheel. In my vehicle, the car runs over the object. This was what led to the reversing accident. My previous vehicles (Lexus x 3) were all spot on; you could trust those lines, and I expected the same again. However, the Tesla told me I'd miss the pole, but it was wrong.

(2) Side mirror not recalling correct position on selecting reverse gear. I had set up my left side mirror position to tilt down & inwards to see the side of the car while in reverse, and saved them to my profile. However, on placing the vehicle into reverse, it doesn't recall that position. Instead, it just tilt down, still pointing outwards, so I can't see the left side of the car.

(3) Side cameras are hard to use in an indoor carpark with poor lighting. There's no depth perception as to how far away objects are. Perhaps this becomes easier with time, but right now they are very hard to understand.

(4) Using the accelerator at parking speeds is still not second nature. Previous decades of driving automatic vehicles means I'm used to my foot feathering the brake while parking. In an emergency stop, just push down hard. Now, my foot is on the accelerator during parking manoeuvres. This is fine when everything is calm, but when people in the car suddenly start yelling "stop!" & there's a moment of panic, the reaction was to push down hard momentarily before realising "oops, I'm not on the brake like I'm used to", and then moving to the other pedal, by which time it was too late. I'm sure this will eventually become second nature, but it's not there yet.

Items (1) & (2) are software problems. Especially item (1). That's really bad to be off so far. If you're going to put guidelines, they'd better be accurate. Otherwise, don't put them at all. It's better not to have any at all, than to have wrong ones. Ultimately, it's driver's responsibility, I'm happy to own up to it as a learning experience, & I'm thankful it was a pole & not a person, but trusting the poor camera guidelines alignment definitely contributed to the accident.

I've got a service appointment with Tesla next week & I"ll get them to check this out. And later, the panel beaters to replace the rear bumper & repair/replace the rear quarter panel, & respray the whole lot. In the meantime, can anyone else test (1) & (2) on their vehicles to see if this is "normal" or if mine has a fault?

Never thought about #4 too. I seem ok with it but maybe because of driving a manual. Also I only really use the camera for the distance not the lines.
With the mirrors I didn’t know they can have a reverse position. They just tilt down. But for me that seems to work

That's a real bummer to your brand new precious. I'll test out your points, when I get my own MY RWD (from repairs after someone else hit it - probably less damage than you - had to wait nearly a couple of months to get it into the repairers).

I still find the reversing camera very misleading compared to my previous car, a Forester - so far it feels 1) obstacles are much closer than they actually are; the camera suggests I'm about to hit but when I get out and look, there's still ample room and 2) there seems to be inadequate visibility of the sides/corners.

Hope your repairs aren't too much of a hassle.

Well, in a real bummer, our two-week old MYP has had an unfortunately meeting with a concrete car parking pole during a reverse park into a perpendicular parking spot. The post-accident analysis has brought up a number of issues that contributed to this:

(1) Reversing camera guidelines are off by about 30-50cm. I'd appreciate if others could test this to see if this is "normal" for this vehicle or if mine is just off. Park the car on flat ground, turn the wheel full lock to the left or right. Place an object on the floor just outside of the guidelines a few metres back on the inside corner, in a location where the guidelines say you shouldn't crash into that object. Then reverse without rotating the steering wheel. In my vehicle, the car runs over the object. This was what led to the reversing accident. My previous vehicles (Lexus x 3) were all spot on; you could trust those lines, and I expected the same again. However, the Tesla told me I'd miss the pole, but it was wrong.

(2) Side mirror not recalling correct position on selecting reverse gear. I had set up my left side mirror position to tilt down & inwards to see the side of the car while in reverse, and saved them to my profile. However, on placing the vehicle into reverse, it doesn't recall that position. Instead, it just tilt down, still pointing outwards, so I can't see the left side of the car.

(3) Side cameras are hard to use in an indoor carpark with poor lighting. There's no depth perception as to how far away objects are. Perhaps this becomes easier with time, but right now they are very hard to understand.

(4) Using the accelerator at parking speeds is still not second nature. Previous decades of driving automatic vehicles means I'm used to my foot feathering the brake while parking. In an emergency stop, just push down hard. Now, my foot is on the accelerator during parking manoeuvres. This is fine when everything is calm, but when people in the car suddenly start yelling "stop!" & there's a moment of panic, the reaction was to push down hard momentarily before realising "oops, I'm not on the brake like I'm used to", and then moving to the other pedal, by which time it was too late. I'm sure this will eventually become second nature, but it's not there yet.

Items (1) & (2) are software problems. Especially item (1). That's really bad to be off so far. If you're going to put guidelines, they'd better be accurate. Otherwise, don't put them at all. It's better not to have any at all, than to have wrong ones. Ultimately, it's driver's responsibility, I'm happy to own up to it as a learning experience, & I'm thankful it was a pole & not a person, but trusting the poor camera guidelines alignment definitely contributed to the accident.

I've got a service appointment with Tesla next week & I"ll get them to check this out. And later, the panel beaters to replace the rear bumper & repair/replace the rear quarter panel, & respray the whole lot. In the meantime, can anyone else test (1) & (2) on their vehicles to see if this is "normal" or if mine has a fault?
Sorry to hear of your accident- yes, I can easily see how (4) could happen when you are not used to the EV style of driving.Hope the fix is quick, satisfying and not TOO hard on your wallet ...

Fairly sure the tilt down on selecting reverse does not remember any settings, it's just a fixed amount of tilt down from your saved normal mirror position
Quite possibly. But then why is there an option to Save the mirror position when set in the reverse gear? I guess I’m expecting it to be saved because (1) the option is there and can be selected; and (2) I’m used to it being saved from previous (less fancy and less expensive) cars.

What happened exactly? Was there a low bollard at the rear of the parking bay that you couldn't see in the mirrors or reversing camera?

Not really getting #4. In terms of control over ultra low speed creep, I find the Tesla offers the most precise throttle control of any car I've owned.

#3 I don't use the side cameras. I use the main reverse camera in the enlarged view (this is the default I think)

Quite possibly. But then why is there an option to Save the mirror position when set in the reverse gear?

I use this option -> "Controls > Mirrors > Mirror Auto Tilt."

It tilts the mirrors down so you can see the gutter etc. It doesn't save an entirely different mirror configuration though.

What happened exactly? Was there a low bollard at the rear of the parking bay that you couldn't see in the mirrors or reversing camera?
Nah. It was a whopping hunk of a floor to ceiling concrete pillar that I couldn’t see in the mirrors or reversing camera. The mirror was pointing the wrong way because it isn’t recalling the saved position on reverse. And the camera is a struggle to use normally and worse in bad lighting.
Not really getting #4. In terms of control over ultra low speed creep, I find the Tesla offers the most precise throttle control of any car I've owned
I agree. It’s beautiful. The problem is what the muscle memory wants to do in an emergency. Decades of training now needs to be undone.

I use the main reverse camera in the enlarged view
…which is the camera I’ve since discovered seems to be miscalibrated.

I use this option -> "Controls > Mirrors > Mirror Auto Tilt."

It tilts the mirrors down so you can see the gutter etc. It doesn't save an entirely different mirror configuration though.
Thanks for confirming this. My expectation was that it would save the configuration since when you reverse, you can use the screen to move the mirror to the position you want, then press Save.

Using creep mode will solve issue #4
Yes. We’ve since switched the SO’s profile to creep mode so that moving between different vehicles isn’t such a shock. I’m sticking with hold mode since I do believe it’s a better method than creep mode.

Hope the fix is quick, satisfying and not TOO hard on your wallet ...
The panel beater showed me various Teslas in various stages of being taken apart. My small area rear quarter panel damage is actually quite hard to fix. The panel size is huge and connected to so many other things, so well integrated into the vehicle that there are many parts to remove to access it properly from the inside. And to change it would be absolutely terrible. Definitely a quick vehicle to build but a terrible car to fix.

I wonder if the issue from the OP is tied in with the removal of the Ultra Sonic Sensors (USS) and replacement with Tesla Vision?

Mine from 2021 has the USS but not sure if they are still being used.

I thought 2023 models were being shipped without USS and you had to sign some sort of waver before getting the car?

I must admit I am not up to date on this and my car seems to behave as it always did when parking in a very congested space (my garage) where I need to slide past things with only 10-22cm to spare. When doing this, I do use the brake and accelerator pedal with a foot on each (which the car beeps and messages about). That's with Hold mode and despite the beeps it behaves very precisely.

I wonder if the issue from the OP is tied in with the removal of the Ultra Sonic Sensors (USS) and replacement with Tesla Vision?
That hasn't happened in Australia yet, all cars here are still being delivered with functional ultrasonic sensors.
I thought 2023 models were being shipped without USS and you had to sign some sort of waver before getting the car?
In other parts of the world, yes.

But ultrasonics have always been terrible at picking up slim rounded objects like pillars, because the sound waves will reflect away in another direction.

I have ultrasound sensors, but the car did not beep, confirmed by the passengers. Your explanation may be correct, that the waves were just reflected in the wrong direction. In my retrospective analysis, I couldn’t work out why it did not beep, but, to be honest, the car beeps with so many things that are false positives that it is almost getting to the point of ignoring the beeps anyway.

I'm very conservative when reversing. I only trust the USS when coming up to a flat wall, after wife had a bingle with a little post sticking out from an otherwise flat wall. That said, I find the camera very good in my old S, not sure how it compares to later cars though. The 3's I've driven seem to have good cameras, so the OP may have a misadjusted one.

The guide lines seemed off to me when I first purchased but I've adjusted to it (probably just ignore them to some degree)

A whole concrete floor to ceiling pillar being not visible in the rear camera is basically impossible in my experience. Probably more to do with you not being used to the speed and taking things too quickly. Hope it's easily fixable.

I learnt the hard way when I was in my late teens reversing my old Datto.... I learnt that I didn't have eyes in the back of my head when I reversed into an object and dented my first car. My first prang and it stuck in my head, never forgot that lesson. Since, I am always very careful when reversing. Double check the mirrors and reverse the car like you are reversing a truck!

Well, here goes for my first post...

When we had our M3 delivered a couple months ago, the lack of USS was a concern. We have a tight garage shared with a Toyota Sienna, so there's not much room on the Tesla, which has to be backed into its space. To make it more complex, we have to turn and back it in.

The first couple weeks were pretty rough, and was helped out by using painter's tape on the garage floor. One strip laid out to watch on the back camera. The others parallel to the car and when backing up, line up exactly with the reverse guide lines.

I found the side repeater cameras invaluable. My concern was rubbing the rear quarter panel on the cabinets while backing in. I have an object stored in the garage that is a reasonable distance from the cabinetry, and when backing up, as long as I see it in the camera, I know the car won't rub up against the side of the garage.

And to imagine I was hoping to use summon/reverse summon to get this thing parked (I have enhanced auto pilot).

Regarding the waiver - Tesla sends a notice. It (in January, in the US) sad that cars may or may not be equipped with USS, and Teslavision was replacing them and would be available within a few weeks. Then you get an OK button to confirm. No other option. This was only disclosed after you plunk down the $250.

Reactions: Hairyman
A whole concrete floor to ceiling pillar being not visible in the rear camera is basically impossible in my experience. Probably more to do with you not being used to the speed and taking things too quickly.
Like you, I’m pretty much ignoring the lines now. As per my first post, if you draw lines there, they should be correct. It’s better to have no lines than wrong lines. Speed wasn’t an issue in this accident. It was absolutely crawling speed due to poor visibility until my point (4) in the first post, when there was a momentary short lurch. The pole was visible in the central rear mirror but the view appeared to show that the vehicle would miss it. As to why the side mirrors & cameras didn’t see the pole, see the first post.