Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max miles decrease 223 miles at 80%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge to 80% and that used to get me to aprox. 255 miles of range (I do not remember exactly). Now it only goes to 223 miles. Is it because of an update or is my battery not doing as good? 2018 Telsa 70k miles

You can try to calibrate the BMS by depleting the battery to less than 5% or so, waiting for a bit, and charging back to 100%. That being said, your description doesn't sound like a terrible drop off for a six year old electric car.

It's due to battery aging - mostly calendar aging. Our 2018 with 200,000 miles was 310 miles at 100% when new and is now at 278 miles at 100% - a loss of about 11%. That would put me at about 222 miles at 80% - the same as you.

You can try the recalibration song and dance, but I doubt it'll do much good. Best practice for maintaining an accurate battery indication is to occasionally let the battery sit overnight at a lower state of charge (20% will do the trick) and also sit overnight at higher state of charge (90% will do the trick). Be sure Sentry Mode is OFF so the car can actually sleep.

It's due to battery aging - mostly calendar aging. Our 2018 with 200,000 miles was 310 miles at 100% when new and is now at 278 miles at 100% - a loss of about 11%. That would put me at about 222 miles at 80% - the same as you.

You can try the recalibration song and dance, but I doubt it'll do much good. Best practice for maintaining an accurate battery indication is to occasionally let the battery sit overnight at a lower state of charge (20% will do the trick) and also sit overnight at higher state of charge (90% will do the trick). Be sure Sentry Mode is OFF so the car can actually sleep.

For corroboration, my 2018 with 42k miles has virtually the same range numbers as yours, which points to calendar aging.

This is expected, so not any indication of "not doing good" for a 5 year old EV (to have a reported roughly 10% range loss).

Not to hijack the thread but I'm kind of disappointed with Tesla's new advice of 80% for daily driving. The performance model is noticably different at 80 vs 90 SOC.
There is nothing at all that says that you need to in any way, shape or form adhere to that advice, so if you feel you dont want to do that, you dont need to.

There is nothing at all that says that you need to in any way, shape or form adhere to that advice, so if you feel you dont want to do that, you dont need to.
Although I wonder if Tesla can see your charging habits and deny warranty for not following recommendations. There does not seem to be any precedent of that happening yet but I suspect it could be possible.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Although I wonder if Tesla can see your charging habits and deny warranty for not following recommendations. There does not seem to be any precedent of that happening yet but I suspect it could be possible.

Unless they change the sliders on the cars from "daily" and trip" and move the "trip" slider to > 80%, I dont think it would be possible for them to do anything close to that. If someone is charging their car to 100% every day that might constitute abuse (although debatable on that), but I dont see any way that any reasonable person could be penalized by charging to something on the "daily" slider.

I was thinking maybe there is more data that supports more range loss pushing to 90 more often?

Perhaps (I dont know), but that also doesnt have anything to do with listening or not to charging advice because you believe the car drives different. Not much different than when I used to drive my BMWs in sport mode all the time (and get 14-15 MPG) because I liked how it drove in sport mode vs regular comfort mode.

I just accepted the lower MPG number (and thus increased cost of gas) from doing this. This is no different, to me anyway.

For corroboration, my 2018 with 42k miles has virtually the same range numbers as yours, which points to calendar aging.

This is expected, so not any indication of "not doing good" for a 5 year old EV (to have a reported roughly 10% range loss).
My 2018 M3 AWD has the same number as well. It is also the same numbers my 3 other coworkers' 2018 M3 AWD. We all bought together within a few months between August 2018 and Nov 2018. About 10% is right. Although the actual range is even less with Tesla's range estimates. My brother in law Mach E could actually drive more than the range it shows. For my M3 or MX, it had never once in 5/6 years that the range loss in the display is less than the actual range driven. If it's like 85 degrees out and I am driving 60 mph and not going uphill too much, I could get close to it.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I was thinking maybe there is more data that supports more range loss pushing to 90 more often?
There is data (search for all the threads and posts about degradation). Generally lower is better. But 80 vs 90 is of minimal difference in degradation. The biggest reduction in degradation is staying below about 55%.

I charge to 80% and that used to get me to aprox. 255 miles of range (I do not remember exactly). Now it only goes to 223 miles. Is it because of an update or is my battery not doing as good? 2018 Telsa 70k miles
Assuming you have AWD (not specified) you’ve lost about 12% which is fine.

255@80% seems like bad data (I’d expect about 248).

All is well. Nothing you can do. Letting it rest at different SOCs is probably good to help a bit with accuracy but just a couple % here and there; not likely to make any big difference no matter what you do. Good to let the car sleep (meaning the contactors must open), in any case, at different SOC - can’t hurt.

You have about 68-69kWh instead of your original ~78kWh.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and jjrandorin

Since the 18 M3LR got a range bump to 325 shouldn't that number be used for degradation calculations? I have the 18 M3LR also and I'd like to know.

Since the 18 M3LR got a range bump to 325 shouldn't that number be used for degradation calculations? I have the 18 M3LR also and I'd like to know.
Yes. Actually use 332 miles or so (77.8kWh/234Wh/rmi) to be more accurate.

(76kWh corresponds to 325 miles (76kWh/234Wh/rmi), but it is well established with many SMT captures and the EPA test result that the vehicle started with more than that.)

Also the EPA rating for the vehicle was over 330 rated miles before voluntary reduction. Check the EPA data file for the exact number.

234Wh/rmi corresponds precisely with the 239Wh/mi on the energy screen. (But of course can be easily derived a couple other ways.)

Last edited: