Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max miles decrease 223 miles at 80%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rear-wheel drive got a range bump. My all-wheel drive car never got that increase.
Yeah I was going to say that as well. My 2018 AWD stays at 310. I think the first 6 months or so, my 90% (the % I charged at home) was 279 so that would make my full at 310. It went down from there and the biggest drop was after one of the firmware update (forgot which version) and it dropped by a lot.

The OP's deg seems normal.

You'll be happy to know, my 5yr-old 3 has finally decided to show less than 310 miles:
1700326325959.jpeg

Yes. Actually use 332 miles or so (77.8kWh/234Wh/rmi) to be more accurate.

(76kWh corresponds to 325 miles (76kWh/234Wh/rmi), but it is well established with many SMT captures and the EPA test result that the vehicle started with more than that.)

Also the EPA rating for the vehicle was over 330 rated miles before voluntary reduction. Check the EPA data file for the exact number.

234Wh/rmi corresponds precisely with the 239Wh/mi on the energy screen. (But of course can be easily derived a couple other ways.)
To be clear, this was all for the RWD - since that was the question I was answering.

For 2018/2019:
The AWD and the RWD have the same pack size. But have to use 317.5 as the starting point (77.8kWh/245Wh/mi) for the AWD. Since it has a 245Wh/mi constant for 2018 and 2019. (2020 started at 322 miles, so has a ~242Wh/mi constant). 2018/2019 started at 310 for values above 76kWh (see Ken's recent example) - so use 317.5 rated miles for capacity loss calculations if you're comparing current rated miles to initial. Or you can just calculate the energy in the pack using the constant and divide by 77.8kWh. All the same.

If in doubt about what to use for the constant, use the energy screen line minus 5, or calculate from the consumption screen (Proj*Recent/(rated remaining)), or do it from a LARGE charge event (swap display type, divide kWh by rated miles added). They'll all give the same value.

And 77.8kWh is the value to use prior to 2021, though some complexities there with some AWD having 77.8 and others having 82.1kWh FPWN values. None of that complexity is relevant for the OP here.

Oh my god, I spoke too soon. My battery has decided it was only kidding:
The full rated value is calculated but I'm not sure how SMT does it. I think your nominal full pack is right on the cusp of the degradation threshold of 76 kWh. Do you remember the maximum NFP you have seen?
@AlanSubie4Life could verify if that is the case. If your rated constant is 245 Wh/mile, then your actual full rated range is 309.4 miles.
But if that is the case, I don't think you have any reason to panic about your degradation after 5 years.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
The full rated value is calculated but I'm not sure how SMT does it. I think your nominal full pack is right on the cusp of the degradation threshold of 76 kWh. Do you remember the maximum NFP you have seen?
@AlanSubie4Life could verify if that is the case. If your rated constant is 245 Wh/mile, then your actual full rated range is 309.4 miles.
But if that is the case, I don't think you have any reason to panic about your degradation after 5 years.
Yep, agreed. I only got the OBDII dongle and SMT, a year and a half ago, so the highest I saw was around
IMG_4725.jpeg
77.0kWh, back in June of last year, about 19k miles ago.