Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird math at ChargePoint DCFC in San Jose, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RayK

Apr 5, 2016
San Jose, CA
Thanks moderator for splitting this off into it's own thread, as requested.

I took at trip today from San Jose to SFO and back. Got home with <90 miles and I had to do a few things around the house so I couldn't charge my car until later this evening. I went to my usual ChargePoint station (Santa Clara Valley Water District) at 9:15pm and hooked up my CHAdeMO adapter and started putting electrons back in the battery. Power transfer started out at 40kW (battery at 29% with hardly any preconditioning; had it on for the 1.3 miles Google tells me is the distance) so nothing out of the ordinary. It usually climbs up to 45kW before diving back down after 80% SoC. Tonight was different:

chargepoint_216miles.jpg

Charge limit here was set at 80% (243 miles); about all that I thought I could get in the hour allotted. 216 miles of range represents 71% and power is 48kW. A few minutes later:

chargepoint_223miles.jpg

223 miles is 74% and now power is 49kW. I have never seen power get above 45-46kW during the last four years I've been using the CHAdeMO adapter. I double-checked the ChargePoint app which seems to show near 50kW delivery:

chargepoint_app_81%.jpg

I manually stopped the charge by moving the SoC slider down into the green area (after an hour of charging, a $4/hr parking fee is assessed). This was at 86% SoC and 258 miles of range. But the surprises did not stop. When I went to unhook the CHAdeMO handle I looked at the ChargePoint screen and noted the cost ($8.18) and power delivered (43.0509kWh) since I keep track of this. A few minutes later I get a text from ChargePoint:

chargepoint_text_receipt.jpg

Well, the power is correct but the cost has been discounted. The text says I paid $6.09 while the screen on the ChargePoint station said $8.18. I don't have a photo of it but if you do the math (43.0509 * 0.19 = 8.179671) it works out. If you do the same to the cost and power figures from the ChargePoint app photo above ($7.49 and 39.4386kWh), you get the same $0.19/kWh this station charges. A few more minutes later and I get the usual receipt via email. I was expecting the same $6.09 and 43.051kWh numbers but I was wrong....

chargepoint_email_receipt.jpg

This statement says only 32.0727kWh was dispensed, not 43.051. The math as stated here is correct: 32.0727 * 0.19 = 6.09. Now I'm totally mystified but I guess I shouldn't be complaining. I "saved" a bit over $2.

If anybody here uses the Santa Clara Valley Water District ChargePoint stations, check your receipt(s) and see if this was a fluke or something is not adding up. The one I was using is DC2 which faces Almaden Expressway.

Last edited: