Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mainland Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know we talked about this earlier, especially after the announcement of the model D came out. If there is enough of a demand for the 40 kwh model, considering it is a "collector's item", we may be able to get a good price. However, I think you would get more for it selling it on your own rather than selling back to Tesla. I've looked online to see what the 40's are going for and haven't found any information about this yet.

Even more of a collector's item now...Elon mentioned on the earnings call today that they are discontinuing the Green and Brown paint options!

- - - Updated - - -

Papafox..I posted on the Hawaii Owners thread.

The Blue P85 at the service center is for sale! Sell your 40 to Stoebs and buy it for your trip :)

I like where this is going :wink:

I completely forgot about the battery swap station, and didn't even think about the fact that you could possibly change the battery size at one. You would still have to supercharge enable it, but still a viable option. This adventure sounds exciting! I hope it comes to pass and you will blog the journey for us :)

Swapping a 40 for a 85 sounds great but realistically its not going to happen, even if the station did the swap would the cars firmware recognize & be able to function with a different battery? I assume new firmware would needed & thats going to require a Tesla technician, when I first learned about the Harris Ranch location I was told Tesla employees would be on site for the first couple of months ironing out the problems, so its still possible but unlikely.

I hear the concerns voiced...

Enabling Supercharging- Although I wouldn't mind the $2500 fee to enable supercharging (I'd get my money's worth over the course of a year), supercharging isn't available for 40kwh battery cars. I suspect I'd have to upgrade to 60kwh battery, which is the same battery that I currently have but only 2/3rds of the capacity is currently enabled by software. A $12,500 fee to enable supercharging and upgrade to 60kwh would be prohibitive unless I saw a need for the 60kwh battery once I returned to Hawaii. One advantage of using my present car is that if I swung into a town in southern Alaska, I could visit all 50 states on the trip. I also wouldn't worry about the miles since the plan is to keep my present car for 10 years at least.

Just buy a Model S on the mainland- This is a possibility, but if I add many thousands of miles to the car it will lose significant value should I choose to resell it. I would also have quite a bit more of my money tied up in cars. One possibility would be to buy a Model S on the east coast and work my way west with it, then sell on the west coast after the adventure is completed. If the autopilot function matures between now and road trip time, an autopilot-equipped car would be a huge plus for the trip.

Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
I hear the concerns voiced...

Enabling Supercharging- Although I wouldn't mind the $2500 fee to enable supercharging (I'd get my money's worth over the course of a year), supercharging isn't available for 40kwh battery cars. I suspect I'd have to upgrade to 60kwh battery, which is the same battery that I currently have but 2/3rds of the capacity is currently disabled by software. A $12,500 fee to enable supercharging and upgrade to 60kwh would be prohibitive unless I saw a need for the 60kwh battery once I returned to Hawaii. One advantage of using my present car is that if I swung into a town in southern Alaska, I could visit all 50 states on the trip. I also wouldn't worry about the miles since the plan is to keep my present car for 10 years at least.

Just buy a Model S on the mainland- This is a possibility, but if I add many thousands of miles to the car it will lose significant value should I choose to resell it. I would also have quite a bit more of my money tied up in cars. One possibility would be to buy a Model S on the east coast and work my way west with it, then sell on the west coast after the adventure is completed. If the autopilot function matures between now and road trip time, an autopilot-equipped car would be a huge plus for the trip.

Decisions, decisions.

I've been reading on TM lately. There's many unhappy owners because they want autopilot and/or D. Many of those folks are selling their cars in order to order a newer one. I believe over the next 6+ months, there's going to be some bargains on pre-D/autopilot cars. That's going to make the practicality of buying a SC enabled car on the mainland more affordable. And by the time you are back, we will have successfully lobbied TM to install us our own SC. (I believe.)

Update:
Here' a link to an explanation on discounted MSs on the mainland. http://www.greencarreports.com/news...oom-discounts-doubled-on-outdated-loaner-cars
Papafox, are you ready to roll across the U.S. of A? :)

Last edited:
Here is what I saw at the Tesla store on Robson in downtown Vancouver, BC.
image.jpg

did anyone else see this? If you did. shame on you for not sharing with everyone else.
50 states in a Model S
Lita Elbertson had never seen a lake before she decided join her friend Michael Fritts on an epic cross-country tour of the United States. In fact, the Hawaii resident hadn’t even seen a duck. Or a Model S
the article was written Nov 24, 2014, do we know if the car is already in HI. Should we find out when it is coming in and have a welcoming committee?

did anyone else see this? If you did. shame on you for not sharing with everyone else.
50 states in a Model S

the article was written Nov 24, 2014, do we know if the car is already in HI. Should we find out when it is coming in and have a welcoming committee?

I saw this while I was on vacation...actually posted a comment to him about a meetup. Just checked and he posted back that he'll be on the Big Island right before Christmas.

Any big island owners reading this, post a message on the article page on The TM forum if you're interested in meeting up with him.

I saw this while I was on vacation...actually posted a comment to him about a meetup. Just checked and he posted back that he'll be on the Big Island right before Christmas.

Any big island owners reading this, post a message on the article page on The TM forum if you're interested in meeting up with him.

For those Big Island owners, it may be cool to have a group photo next to their MS so that it can be posted along with the blog.

OK, I have a new strategy to try. If I get summer free, maybe I will buy a used 85kwh Tesla on the mainland, drive it all summer and then put it up for sale.

If I added a supercharger option, bumped my 40kwh battery up to 60 kwh and shipped the car to the mainland and back, I'd be looking at about $16,000. Gulp.

I could buy a used 8kwh Tesla on the mainland for about $70,000, put on about 8,000 miles and sell it for maybe $65,000, which would be a whole lot more affordable than trying to turn my Hawaii car into a mainland touring vehicle. Plus, 85kwh would be MUCH better for long-distance cruising. I could get a good price because I am not geographically constrained. Anywhere in the country is fine! I want to cover all the lower 48 states, anyhow.

Your thoughts?

OK, I have a new strategy to try. If I get summer free, maybe I will buy a used 85kw Tesla on the mainland, drive it all summer and then put it up for sale.

If I added a supercharger option, bumped my 40kw battery up to 60 kw and shipped the car to the mainland and back, I'd be looking at about $16,000. Gulp.

I could buy a used 85kw Tesla on the mainland for about $70,000, put on about 8,000 miles and sell it for maybe $65,000, which would be a whole lot more affordable than trying to turn my Hawaii car into a mainland touring vehicle. Plus, 85kw would be MUCH better for long-distance cruising. I could get a good price because I am not geographically constrained. Anywhere in the country is fine! I want to cover all the lower 48 states, anyhow.

Your thoughts?

I am certain you were asking me my thoughts.

That's a really good idea. You would have the choices of picking which used 85 looks best and upon on site inspection, something doesn't look right, you go back to your list and travel to the next best.

Would you consider shipping the 85 back to Hawaii and using it here versus selling it on the mainland?

That would give you options such as selling your 40 before and after your mainland trip.

The mainland trip sounds like a terrific adventure.

OK, I have a new strategy to try. If I get summer free, maybe I will buy a used 85kwh Tesla on the mainland, drive it all summer and then put it up for sale.

If I added a supercharger option, bumped my 40kwh battery up to 60 kwh and shipped the car to the mainland and back, I'd be looking at about $16,000. Gulp.

I could buy a used 8kwh Tesla on the mainland for about $70,000, put on about 8,000 miles and sell it for maybe $65,000, which would be a whole lot more affordable than trying to turn my Hawaii car into a mainland touring vehicle. Plus, 85kwh would be MUCH better for long-distance cruising. I could get a good price because I am not geographically constrained. Anywhere in the country is fine! I want to cover all the lower 48 states, anyhow.

Your thoughts?
make the quick trip up to the southern tip of Alaska to make it 49 states. ship the car to Hawaii and call it 50.

Akikiki and dsmith2189- Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, I've already been planning my route to Alaska! It's part of the big plan. Rather than heading towards Fairbanks, though, I would opt for the shorter trip to Hyder, which nonetheless passes through some wild country.

It'd take quite a nice Model S on the mainland to displace my current blue beauty. I'm quite fond of it! The 40kwh battery works fine for me on Oahu. Looking at used Model S cars on teslamotorsclub.com, I see lots of performance and signature models. No doubt these are owned by people who recently traded up for P85Ds. The next few months would be a good time to grab a deal on a good used 85, but I need Tesla stock to rally before selling shares to buy a car makes sense.

The good news is that the supercharger system continues to grow. I suspect that Highway 80 will be populated with superchargers so that I can cross from Reno, Nevada, to Salt Lake before heading a bit south to catch Highway 70 through the Colorado rockies.

I think this is a terrible idea, because it implies that you won't be selling me your 40kwh :tongue:. A much better strategy would be to sell me your 40, buy the 85 on the mainland and ship it back at the end of your trip...

yeah...do that!

Papafox, John Glenney is the man that was the first person to drive cross country in a S85 a year ago using Superchargers. His Green S85, 24K miles, tech, new tires, is for sale and is sitting in San Rafael, CA. He's not posted a price, but I've posted the question to him.

Initially, he drove it one way and left it in CA at their simmer home. If you wish to contact him, here's the TM link,

Ivy is for sale.