Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip CA to Oregon and back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla model Y performed well on a 1500 mile road trip in mostly rural areas along the California and Oregon coast.
A few things.
Supercharger prices in Oregon half California. As soon as you cross the border. Way to go Oregon!! :D
Bring the mobile connector, you might find AC outlets for overnight charging in hotel and condo parking lots if you look around. Every little bit helps.
Plugshare and chargepoint apps come in handy. Never really used them before this trip. Recommend get everything set up in the apps before leaving, or you might be somewhere without cell service when you need to plug in.
**Tesla needs to improve a couple things with the GUI. The constant auto center and zoom of the map is a pain in the ass. I understand there might be a way to hold your finger on the screen to keep it where you want, but not sure?? Would be better to have a setting to DISABLE this annoying behavior. A couple times the nav made weird decisions on the supercharging stops. For example, it plugged in for us to charge to 100% at one stop to make it to the next stop at 10%. But there was a supercharger halfway in between directly on the way!! For some reason it didn't pick it. So we changed it but took a bit to figure it out. Maybe it wants to minimize the number of stops but didn't make sense in this case. Would be nice to keep superchargers displayed on the map at all times, so you don't have to hit the hidden button to see where they are. Especially useful if you decide to take a detour for some sightseeing along your trip.
Overall was glad we took the Tesla instead of our gas car.

Some more detail.
The one it skipped is 150kW in Bandon, OR.
Going from Klamath, CA to Neskowin, OR on 101 the whole way.
The nav chose this:
Crescent City, CA charge to 100%
Newport, OR 4% remaining upon arrival!
Had momentary panic until seeing the one in Bandon (right on 101) on SC map.
Seems like a bug to skip it.

Yeah, funny because I often find the Tesla nav to want me to make too many stops - I usually remove one or two to get to 1-3% charge on the next leg (when I am in places where there are plenty of options to stop if I need to earlier). When in Texas or OK, I prefer 20% buffer, but CO or CA, I'll happily go to 1-3%.

Even ABRP wants to stop there:
1691781161868.png

Would be nice if Tesla added some of the ABRP features into their nav.
I had checked out the route in ABRP days in advance, then forgot about it. ABRP gives better choices.
On the road I rely on the Tesla nav, in this case it made a bad choice.
Have noticed Tesla nav will happily get you to your final destination with 5% remaining with no way to get to a charger from there.