Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sequoia National Forrest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SteelClouds

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2021
CA
I just got back from a short and fast trip from Los Angeles to General Sherman Tree in the Sequoia National Forrest. The trip is about 5-6 hours there with a couple of charges on the way up. I have a Model 3 STD Plus so I have short legs :) I charged at Tejon which is pretty normal for me leaving LA county and then I did a full ( 80% plus) charge at Goshen ( a couple of sets of chargers.. the ones by the Burger King are the least used). There are new superchargers going into a parking lot across the street by the Carls at a new Gas everyone type of lot. Why did I charge there and not by the entrance at SNF? because the town of Three Rivers has virtually no charging available. When you are in 3 Rivers, the nearest DC charger is an EVgo about 25 miles back the way you came. 3 Rivers is the last own before you enter the park on 198. Why does this mater you say? Because good friends, I used an AC wall jack and got to 85% before I left for my 25 mile drive to General Sherman Tree. Thats nominally 170-180 miles of range. I left at 56 degrees. After driving 25 miles at 1-25 miles an hour and having the temps go from 56 to 28F, I arrived with 47%. There is ZERO charging in the park at that point. And one or two private J plugs further in. The next real stop is 40 miles further into the park. So remember, I have to get 25 miles out of the park plus another 35 to to the nearest supercharger ( 25 for EVgo.. why I carry a CCS adapter). I did count on and succeed at gaining 7% on the way back down out of the park. But with my STD plus M3, I went about as far as I felt was comfortable given all the circumstances. AS it was , it was snowing a fair bit when we left and we got snow, sleet, hail and hevy rain on the way back down :D. I will say that my PZero AS Plus tires were awesome. No chains but I did have them ready in the trunk. Didnt need to put them on. I wasnt romping through snow drifts but the road has quite a bit of slush and ice in the last 10 miles and they didnt slip. I already knew they do well in heavy rain so this was a nice suprise.

My pics are not posting.. huh.. I'll put them up in a bit if I stop getting a server error when they upload

So I cna put the pics up now but in a separate post.. oh well :)
IMG_2766.jpgIMG_2779.jpgIMG_2784.jpgIMG_2786.jpgIMG_2805.jpgIMG_2809.jpg

Reactions: Bixby MS