Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E and my Y. Side by Side pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Y is a better car than a comparably equipped $55,000 Audi Q5. I've had both....

Then again if it had a gas engine it wouldn't be as much fun.
Yeah, that tends to be my comp for the Model Y too. The SQ5 makes a good comparison too as it is higher performance. Each have some advantages, but the Y is significantly cheaper.

$45-55k feels about right for the Model Y's current features and performance. to me.

Reactions: gt2690b
It was sarcasm. I was responding to the idea that the MachE isn’t built to hold up over time. The MachE has a modular battery pack that can be repaired, compared to the Model Y’s glued-together pack that must be replaced as an entire unit. If I were buying a 10-year-old EV, I know which pack type I’d prefer.
Honestly, from watching wk057 and others do repair procedures, I don't think the comparison is straightforward. A lot of people push module level repairs, including Tesla at one time. In reality, I've never seen them doing this. I feel like the Mach-E pack replacements that I've seen were whole packs. It is a little different if it is the electronics instead of the cells, but then again, Tesla doesn't glue those parts down either.

And I can't help but remember that GM has quoted some people exhorbitant prices for the rare Volt battery replacements. Just because it is more modular and theoretically repairable doesn't mean that it will work out to be less costly in the real world.

These are just my opinions, of course. I'm happy to be shown to be wrong. :)

Only with all seats down where it's close?
2nd row 26.6 vs 43.5
3rd row 12.8 vs 17.8

Leg room 3rd row
26.5 Vs 31.7

Not to mention the better hip and shoulder space in all rows. It's just flat out more room and more space. Heck just look at the size difference

I'm sorry better ride vs handling is not a wash in this segment. If this was a sports segment, I'd agree. But in a 7 seater family hauler... No

I love Tesla, and short listed a model Y for my needs, daily driver plus the occasional family hauler, but it is not better than my wives 7 seat SUV for full time family stuff. The ride is just way too stiff for this segment. Can the model Y do that stuff? Sure, but it's not blindly better

It gets tiresome when Tesla fans try to pretend Tesla makes vehicles that are the best at all things, which is hilarious considering the only 2 popular models are nearly identical and drive the same, so how can the same driving dynamics, features, etc. be best for all use cases (it's not)

If the model Y was an ICE is sorta hard to evaluate, does it keep all the pros and none of the cons of an EV? Does the frunk disappear? It keeps 120mpge but then has a tiny gas tank?
According to your link the Y has more cargo volume and is wider.. also more second row leg room

You wouldn't need a larger gas tank if you got 120mpg.. does anyone need 1200 miles per tank??

Like others have said I think it's priced pretty appropriately and millions of buyers seem to agree

I'm not a Tesla lover but just haven't found any math that makes any other car cheaper per mile and practical

Last edited:
That's not really mpge though is it? Does it count shore power in that estimate?

I mean the published number is 133 mpge hard to believe you smashed it that much

Good call, I'll check it out.

Last tank of gas lasted me 3300mi. A tank of gas gets me 500mi (50mpg), so 2800mi of my tank was electric. I get 4.5mi/kWh so thats ~622kWh. At $0.11/kWh thats $68.45 + the $3.50*10gal so $103.45 (roughly speaking) to go 3300mi. or $0.032/mi. at $3.50 a gal, thats 112mpge. So its close, but not better

Honestly, from watching wk057 and others do repair procedures, I don't think the comparison is straightforward. A lot of people push module level repairs, including Tesla at one time. In reality, I've never seen them doing this. I feel like the Mach-E pack replacements that I've seen were whole packs. It is a little different if it is the electronics instead of the cells, but then again, Tesla doesn't glue those parts down either.

And I can't help but remember that GM has quoted some people exhorbitant prices for the rare Volt battery replacements. Just because it is more modular and theoretically repairable doesn't mean that it will work out to be less costly in the real world.

These are just my opinions, of course. I'm happy to be shown to be wrong. :)

I haven’t seen information specific to the MachE, but I spend a bit of time lurking on some Lightning communities. They’ve had issues with modules failing, and the fix involves dealers dropping the pack to replace the failed module. I’ve seen a few photos of disassembled packs underneath Lightnings on a lift, but I can’t find them at the moment. This kind of repair isn’t possible on a Model Y, but fortunately Tesla seems to have battery reliability sorted out.

I’d expect Ford dealers will be well-versed in this procedure in the coming years.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
According to your link the Y has more cargo volume and is wider.. also more second row leg room

You wouldn't need a larger gas tank if you got 120mpg.. does anyone need 1200 miles per tank??

Like others have said I think it's priced pretty appropriately and millions of buyers seem to agree

I'm not a Tesla lover but just haven't found any math that makes any other car cheaper per mile and practical
The link numbers are referencing space behind the Model Y 2nd row vs the ascent 3rd row. It was for you to get a sense of the size difference. The numbers I posted are correct from manufacturers and somewhat verified on review sites (motortrend shows more space for the ascent). Tesla is wide but comes in dramatically more which is why hip and shoulder room are much less on all rows vs the Ascent. The space on the ascent is also much more squared off

I never said the Model Y isn't priced appropriately for an EV, because it is, especially with the lack of options and availability.

If it was an ICE than their is way more competition, and IMO is really only ahead of the pack as a sport oriented SUV. It doesn't match up to the luxury SUVs and it doesn't match up to 7 row family haulers as an ICE

I haven’t seen information specific to the MachE, but I spend a bit of time lurking on some Lightning communities. They’ve had issues with modules failing, and the fix involves dealers dropping the pack to replace the failed module. I’ve seen a few photos of disassembled packs underneath Lightnings on a lift, but I can’t find them at the moment. This kind of repair isn’t possible on a Model Y, but fortunately Tesla seems to have battery reliability sorted out.

I’d expect Ford dealers will be well-versed in this procedure in the coming years.
The Model y pack is also in modules, so why wouldn't this be possible?

Structural 4680 is a little different.

The link numbers are referencing space behind the Model Y 2nd row vs the ascent 3rd row....
They certainly are not on the "max cargo" datapoint... the total cargo volume of the 5 seater Y is slightly more than the ascent (1% more according to your link)... the 7 seater Y has slightly less cargo volume due to the extra seats but it is still very close... it also has more 2nd row legroom 41.6" vs. 38.6" on the ascent... turns out those gas tanks and engines take up some space

Last edited:
If you choose a company with experience making a car, then Ford wins. They can make a solid car. But their tech is lagging behind Tesla. Tesla is a software company making cars. They have good tech, but lag behind Ford. They can’t get simple car functions that work well for decades right. Like the windshield wipers.
While I will agree that fit and finish and similar aspects are advantage legacy auto manufacturers - overall manufacturing efficiency and cost efficiencies are obviously advantage Tesla as is evidenced by the fact that Tesla can run much higher margins and even cut prices/margin and still make money - while most other legacy manufacturers are losing monies on their BEV sales today even at the higher price points - as is clearly evidenced by the transparency that Ford is showing as of a few months ago. Making a solid ICE car using old/existing legacy manufacturing techniques (not using gigapresses) might make a vehicle that has better fit and finish - but Tesla is closing this gap gradually while leveraging nextgen manufacturing processes that allow them to make a similarly equipped vehicle for significantly less money. This is why the legacy auto manufacturers are now taking a real long look at gigapress technologies and some have even placed gigapress orders and are now moving toward nextgen manufacturing processes. Tesla can fix their gremlins over time - and close these gaps - at a much lower cost per vehicle. The difficult part for many of the legacy auto manufacturers that already have billions invested into legacy factories is that they will have to either build all new factories or completely overhaul existing factories - which takes time and billions more in capital investments. I give Ford credit for racing to attempt this transition - along with VW and GM who aren't far behind. It will be interesting to see where all of this ends up 5-10 years down the road.

While I will agree that fit and finish and similar aspects are advantage legacy auto manufacturers - overall manufacturing efficiency and cost efficiencies are obviously advantage Tesla as is evidenced by the fact that Tesla can run much higher margins and even cut prices/margin and still make money - while most other legacy manufacturers are losing monies on their BEV sales today even at the higher price points - as is clearly evidenced by the transparency that Ford is showing as of a few months ago. Making a solid ICE car using old/existing legacy manufacturing techniques (not using gigapresses) might make a vehicle that has better fit and finish - but Tesla is closing this gap gradually while leveraging nextgen manufacturing processes that allow them to make a similarly equipped vehicle for significantly less money. This is why the legacy auto manufacturers are now taking a real long look at gigapress technologies and some have even placed gigapress orders and are now moving toward nextgen manufacturing processes. Tesla can fix their gremlins over time - and close these gaps - at a much lower cost per vehicle. The difficult part for many of the legacy auto manufacturers that already have billions invested into legacy factories is that they will have to either build all new factories or completely overhaul existing factories - which takes time and billions more in capital investments. I give Ford credit for racing to attempt this transition - along with VW and GM who aren't far behind. It will be interesting to see where all of this ends up 5-10 years down the road.
I agree with the point about their manufacturing efficiency. However, that doesn’t transpose to experience and ultimately quality. How many times have we hear from Tesla their upcoming innovation cut cost by reducing X or Y. Primary example is the Model Y. It was hailed as an innovative feat by reducing some hundreds of yards of cabling used in the vehicle. The single casting press hailed as an innovative feat, being able to build cars much more efficiently and quickly. That to me translation to more profit for the share holders and reducing workforce. But did we see a significant equal feat in quality improvement?

No doubt Tesla is an innovative and technological company. But over 13 years later, they still lack the fundamental of car manufacturing and quality control. Simple example, I picked up my model S and the first mile driving off the lot, I had to u turn to have them look into why the airbag warning was on. Took them a week to realize, there was a missing cable connecting it to the car. This is on a vehicle costing over 80k, not a Toyota Corolla.

Just like Toyota and their Kaizen approach was a disrupter back in the 80s and 90s to legacy manufacturing. Toyota pioneered the ability to reuse manufacturing line for multiple car type and can quickly reconfigure them. They was a game changer back then forcing Ford and GM to adapt and change or go under.

My point is, Tesla is an industry disrupter. They make great software and constantly refining it. But they still lack behind the car manufacturing experience and quality. Maybe another 10 years they’ll get there but currently they are not.

I agree with the point about their manufacturing efficiency. However, that doesn’t transpose to experience and ultimately quality. How many times have we hear from Tesla their upcoming innovation cut cost by reducing X or Y. Primary example is the Model Y. It was hailed as an innovative feat by reducing some hundreds of yards of cabling used in the vehicle. The single casting press hailed as an innovative feat, being able to build cars much more efficiently and quickly. That to me translation to more profit for the share holders and reducing workforce. But did we see a significant equal feat in quality improvement?

No doubt Tesla is an innovative and technological company. But over 13 years later, they still lack the fundamental of car manufacturing and quality control. Simple example, I picked up my model S and the first mile driving off the lot, I had to u turn to have them look into why the airbag warning was on. Took them a week to realize, there was a missing cable connecting it to the car. This is on a vehicle costing over 80k, not a Toyota Corolla.

Just like Toyota and their Kaizen approach was a disrupter back in the 80s and 90s to legacy manufacturing. Toyota pioneered the ability to reuse manufacturing line for multiple car type and can quickly reconfigure them. They was a game changer back then forcing Ford and GM to adapt and change or go under.

My point is, Tesla is an industry disrupter. They make great software and constantly refining it. But they still lack behind the car manufacturing experience and quality. Maybe another 10 years they’ll get there but currently they are not.
Just wanted to note that your Model S was built 8 years ago before Tesla was focusing on manufacturing efficiency (for that vehicle, at least).

They certainly are not on the "max cargo" datapoint... the total cargo volume of the 5 seater Y is slightly more than the ascent (1% more according to your link)... the 7 seater Y has slightly less cargo volume due to the extra seats but it is still very close... it also has more 2nd row legroom 41.6" vs. 38.6" on the ascent... turns out those gas tanks and engines take up some space
I didn't realize you are hauling family stuff without a family in the vehicle...

The most important cargo space is behind the 2nd row then behind the 3rd row, Ascent has more room. 43.5/17.8 vs 26.6/12.8.

Wow 3" more 2nd row legroom (the only dimension of this type the MY wins), yet over 5" less in the 3rd row... almost like it was designed to have 7 seats correctly and planned accordingly rather than an afterthought , unlike the Y

So all other seating position dimensions you left out

worse front, mid, 3rd row shoulder room 61.1/60.3/57 vs 56.4/54/41 - not remotely close

worse front, mid, 3rd row hip room 57.7/57.5/45.9 vs 53.8/50.8/36.5 - again not remotely close

worse front, mid. 3rd row head room 41.2/40/36.2 vs 41/38.7/34.6 - closer but still loses in all 3

These are not remotely the same class of 7 seaters, I have no idea why that is so hard for you to understand. One is a proper 7 seater and one is best used sparingly with only small children in the back and even then its still tighter width wise

I didn't realize you are hauling family stuff without a family in the vehicle...

The most important cargo space is behind the 2nd row then behind the 3rd row, Ascent has more room. 43.5/17.8 vs 26.6/12.8.

Wow 3" more 2nd row legroom (the only dimension of this type the MY wins), yet over 5" less in the 3rd row... almost like it was designed to have 7 seats correctly and planned accordingly rather than an afterthought , unlike the Y

So all other seating position dimensions you left out

worse front, mid, 3rd row shoulder room 61.1/60.3/57 vs 56.4/54/41 - not remotely close

worse front, mid, 3rd row hip room 57.7/57.5/45.9 vs 53.8/50.8/36.5 - again not remotely close

worse front, mid. 3rd row head room 41.2/40/36.2 vs 41/38.7/34.6 - closer but still loses in all 3

These are not remotely the same class of 7 seaters, I have no idea why that is so hard for you to understand. One is a proper 7 seater and one is best used sparingly with only small children in the back and even then its still tighter width wise

why is it hard for you to understand? they have virtually the same volume.. you can move the seats around however u wish but at the end of the day you can fit just as much "stuff" in one as you can the other... there maybe more behind the 3rd row but you still have the frunk in the Y... and yes many people do haul stuff in the car sometimes without the family in the vehicle... its called a home depot run... 2nd row leg room is more important than 3rd row hip room to me since usually kids are in a 3rd row anyway while adults are often in 2nd row

i agree the Y is not a proper 7 seater but it works in a pinch or hauling soccer kids around town and has a surprising amount of cargo space... i would not take 7 on a road trip in a Y however... i have taken 7 people on a day ski trip and it was fine

Last edited:
why is it hard for you to understand? they have virtually the same volume.. you can move the seats around however u wish but at the end of the day you can fit just as much "stuff" in one as you can the other... there maybe more behind the 3rd row but you still have the frunk in the Y... and yes many people do haul stuff in the car sometimes without the family in the vehicle... its called a home depot run... 2nd row leg room is more important than 3rd row hip room to me since usually kids are in a 3rd row anyway while adults are often in 2nd row
same volume with no one in the back two rows. Anytime else and it is not. So not the same 95% of the time, while also being more square in shape (rather than sloped), making it easier to pack and effectively more space. A dome like area with side spaces and under storage is not the same as a big square opening.

Wow, so 2nd row leg room is more important than the Ascent being better in every other seating dimension, when talking about a SEVEN seater

Last edited:
same volume with no one in the back two rows. Anytime else and it is not. So not the same 95% of the time, while also being more square in shape (rather than sloped), making it easier to pack.

Wow, so 2nd row leg room is more important than the Ascent being better in every other seating dimension, when talking about a SEVEN seater
you conveniently leave out the frunk space again... also having cargo space outside of the cabin can be a godsend sometimes...and yes 2nd row leg room is more important to ME because 95% of the time im not carrying SEVEN people.. more often it is 3 or 4 people that appreciate the leg room more than they would appreciate 3rd row hip space

i only picked the ascent b/c it was the cheapest 7 seater SUV but perhaps its not the best comparison since it gets pretty bad MPG compared to the EPA estimates and horrible reliabilty:

Last edited:
Maybe it’s just me but like when the iPhone went to non repairable/replacement battery I am fine with it. I would prefer to replace the pack in 200k miles vs having to pay for a month of rebuild on a few failed batteries over the life of the car. Some things just don’t need to be complicated.
Maybe it is just you.

Depending on age and depreciation, the car may be worth less than the cost of a full pack replacement. Imagine you're in the used market and considering two 10-year-old EVs with 150,000 miles. One has a pack that must be replaced as a unit, and the other has serviceable modules. Which would you pay more for?

Tesla chose to compromise serviceability in exchange for lower cost of production, lighter weight, and presumably less complexity. As the pack leaves the warranty period, serviceability becomes worth a heckuva lot more to the owner left holding the bag.

Everything has it's pros and cons, and I'm entirely comfortable with my choice. But I won't delude myself into thinking that every possible aspect of the Model Y is superior to competing models. Everything is a compromise, so that wouldn't be possible.

Maybe it is just you.

Depending on age and depreciation, the car may be worth less than the cost of a full pack replacement. Imagine you're in the used market and considering two 10-year-old EVs with 150,000 miles. One has a pack that must be replaced as a unit, and the other has serviceable modules. Which would you pay more for?

Tesla chose to compromise serviceability in exchange for lower cost of production, lighter weight, and presumably less complexity. As the pack leaves the warranty period, serviceability becomes worth a heckuva lot more to the owner left holding the bag.

Everything has it's pros and cons, and I'm entirely comfortable with my choice. But I won't delude myself into thinking that every possible aspect of the Model Y is superior to competing models. Everything is a compromise, so that wouldn't be possible.
is one a non-liquid cooled battery like the nissan leaf and one is the liquid cooled LFP model 3? if so i choose the latter despite serviceability

you conveniently leave out the frunk space again... also having cargo space outside of the cabin can be a godsend sometimes...and yes 2nd row leg room is more important to ME because 95% of the time im not carrying SEVEN people.. more often it is 3 or 4 people that appreciate the leg room more than they would appreciate 3rd row hip space

i only picked the ascent b/c it was the cheapest 7 seater SUV but perhaps its not the best comparison since it gets pretty bad MPG compared to the EPA estimates and horrible reliabilty:

So you normally have the 2nd row up and third row down. So it is 43.5 to 26.6 cu.ft (30.6 with frunk) Ascent vs Y. So it is 42% more space that is also a box shape vs a dome top, small side compartments, lower level storage and a small frunk (AKA not efficient space). There is more to cargo storage than just the volume

I am sure the people in the 2nd row wouldn't also appreciate more head room, more hip room, more shoulder room but let's only focus on the one single seat dimension across all 3 rows that the model Y is ahead and ignore the 11 other dimensions.

Model Y vs 7 seaters
Efficiency - Important - excellent
Speed - not really important - excellent
Comfort - Important - poor
Seating dimensions - important - poor 3rd row, not great hip/shoulder room in 2nd/3rd
Cargo - important - good all seats down, decent all seats up but poor in most use cases (behind 2nd row)

I couldn't imagine putting my two dogs in the back with the 3rd row down and them being comfortable and also carry cargo. Most seven seat SUVs this is easy to do this. That and with all seats up the total space is so broken up and odd shaped it feels less than what it stated.

Now this isn't a knock on the Y as I believe it is the best performance SUV, it just wasn't designed well as a 7 seater or better put - not designed for what most 7 seaters are for

Reactions: HitchHiker71