Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E and my Y. Side by Side pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@runningdenver

TTL (ThreadTooLong)

How is the ride quality between the 2? One of my biggest gripes on the Y, I've spent a little time in the MME and the ride is better, plus I still prefer driver display and physical controls.
At the time of this writing, you will spend about $10K more for a comparably equipped MME. That seems like a lot to pay for whatever it is you like better. The Model Y is progressive and might be too much change for some people. The latest Y has had improvements to ride quality and there is a refresh called project Juniper that will be available soon.

This has been argued in many threads over many forums but it just comes down to driver preference.

Not everyone has the same needs or desires but there are arguments both ways where each side sees little value in the other's which is fine because that is life.

Me and my wife both drive our cars interchangeably so we do like that the Y detects our profile (most of the time) instead of having to choose it each time we get in and out of the car. The one positive with the choice based option is unless you have easy entry enabled (which is a bit far from the pedals from my wife to activate it), is you can set the seat "before" you get into the car.

But that just brings me my point that if you are the primary driver, many of these things can be overlooked but if you are switching back and forth between different cars, it's nice to have the commonalities of a driver display and some physical controls. If physical controls wasn't that much of an issue, why did Telsa finally update the UI so that you can customize/use the left dial for stuff? So you can't say there isn't a need.

Same thing with driver display.. there wouldn't be such an aftermarket for them if there wasn't some demand.,.. and... the S/X models still have driver display.

The ride, however, is the worst of everything. And that is probably due to we are primarily SUV/minivan drivers but even our kids hatchback and sedan have a software ride than the Y. And yes, we have a 21 model so maybe the newer ones addressed that (and if they did... there must have been a reason right?).

But it's okay, we can disagree as I'm not trying to convince anyone because opinions vary, just asking for another point of view from someone who has both cars side by side. I spent about an hour on the freeway inside a friends MME... and the interior space, ride and sitting position just seemed better to me. There are many things that the Y does better than most... but they are not enough for me to keep it as I have been looking for a replacement for about 6 months. I have even looked at the smaller C40/XC40 because they have great leases right now.

And yes, I lease, so total MSRP isn't really that much of a factor to me if I can get a different car for the same or lower payment.

Reactions: dhrivnak
This has been argued in many threads over many forums but it just comes down to driver preference.

Not everyone has the same needs or desires but there are arguments both ways where each side sees little value in the other's which is fine because that is life.

Me and my wife both drive our cars interchangeably so we do like that the Y detects our profile (most of the time) instead of having to choose it each time we get in and out of the car. The one positive with the choice based option is unless you have easy entry enabled (which is a bit far from the pedals from my wife to activate it), is you can set the seat "before" you get into the car.

But that just brings me my point that if you are the primary driver, many of these things can be overlooked but if you are switching back and forth between different cars, it's nice to have the commonalities of a driver display and some physical controls. If physical controls wasn't that much of an issue, why did Telsa finally update the UI so that you can customize/use the left dial for stuff? So you can't say there isn't a need.

Same thing with driver display.. there wouldn't be such an aftermarket for them if there wasn't some demand.,.. and... the S/X models still have driver display.

The ride, however, is the worst of everything. And that is probably due to we are primarily SUV/minivan drivers but even our kids hatchback and sedan have a software ride than the Y. And yes, we have a 21 model so maybe the newer ones addressed that (and if they did... there must have been a reason right?).

But it's okay, we can disagree as I'm not trying to convince anyone because opinions vary, just asking for another point of view from someone who has both cars side by side. I spent about an hour on the freeway inside a friends MME... and the interior space, ride and sitting position just seemed better to me. There are many things that the Y does better than most... but they are not enough for me to keep it as I have been looking for a replacement for about 6 months. I have even looked at the smaller C40/XC40 because they have great leases right now.

And yes, I lease, so total MSRP isn't really that much of a factor to me if I can get a different car for the same or lower payment.

Well said. There were at least a half-dozen things I preferred about my EV6 over my Model Y as well; physical controls and ride were biggies. I think most of us are here because we find the Model Y to be a better overall package, but people have different priorities. The MachE is a great car.

I think most EVs have their own merits, and we can thank Tesla’s influence for so many escaping the compliance car trap. I could see owning most of them if the deal was right. Except the bZ4x. Nobody should buy that one.

• Funny
Reactions: BigNerd
I don't get this nonsense with "physical" controls. I can understand reviewers griping because the cars aren't set up for them. The car is designed to set your configuration by reading your key, then most operations that need control after initial set up are automatic. I have climate control set to 70 degrees with seat and steering wheel heaters set to auto. In the spring I aim the vents up a little bit and in the fall, I aim them down a bit. Wipers and headlights are automatic with some override in the stalk. Speaker volume is a thumb wheel, etc. Voice commands are there when you need them. There isn't much you need to do on the touch screen while in motion.

As for a driver display, what do you really need other than the easily visible MPH in the corner by your right hand.
Agree. Physical controls are static and will not improve. Touch controls can and are improved with software updates. That is the beauty of it. Many who complain have not tried voice commands.

Agree. Physical controls are static and will not improve. Touch controls can and are improved with software updates. That is the beauty of it. Many who complain have not tried voice commands.

Or we prefer not having to remember where the latest update placed something when we’re going down the road at 70 MPH.

I’m totally on-board with touch controls for a lot of things. But some things like touch vent controls are convoluted answers in search of a simple problem.

Voice commands.
A lousy solution for a problem that nobody but Tesla builds into their products.

I have to speak a voice command into my watch to open my garage door because the car doesn’t speak CarPlay. I have to pause the music, stop a conversation I’m having with my boys, think of the command, and articulate it clear enough for my watch to hear me and open the door the first time.

I do this once every time I drive, so I can live with it. I don’t want to do it for everything else.

A lousy solution for a problem that nobody but Tesla builds into their products.

I have to speak a voice command into my watch to open my garage door because the car doesn’t speak CarPlay. I have to pause the music, stop a conversation I’m having with my boys, think of the command, and articulate it clear enough for my watch to hear me and open the door the first time.

I do this once every time I drive, so I can live with it. I don’t want to do it for everything else.
A garage door opener is like $5 on Amazon

And you could do the SEXY buttons for the rest but sure it's annoying

Reactions: laservet

Is homelink no longer an option?

I have it on my model S and it works with my old garage door opener.

I’m not trying to find another garage door solution; the tradeoff for HomeKit is absolutely worthwhile to me. I can see my door status from the lock screen on my iPhone, and I have a convenient toggle right on the control panel. It’s also on my watch, iPad, and HomePods throughout the house. CarPlay would be nice, but Tesla’s infotainment has gotten good enough that I only miss it when opening the door. It’s fine.

I was just using that to illustrate why I don’t want to control the car with my voice. That aspect of my garage door control is a PITA. I don’t need the same for climate temp, windshield wipers, vents, lights, and everything else. Buttons are better.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Or we prefer not having to remember where the latest update placed something when we’re going down the road at 70 MPH.

I’m totally on-board with touch controls for a lot of things. But some things like touch vent controls are convoluted answers in search of a simple problem.

What settings are you using when driving 70MPH? I have never had any issue with the minimal amount of physical buttons so I have a tough time understanding some of these complaints.

Climate Control: I have set to auto...If I am too warm or too hot I simply bump the temp up/down by a degree or 2. Easy to do on the screen or I even believe can be done via scroll wheel.

Wipers: Set to auto. If needed a simple press of the button on the scroll wheel will give the windshield a swipe. The controls pop up on the screen when that happens but I have never needed to use them, but would be easy to do if wanted.

Garage door: When I get close to my house it pops up on my screen and I simply press it to open the garage.

Vents: I have it set when my car is in park and rarely, if ever, adjust them. Definitely no need to do that while driving.

Lights: Set to auto.

Music: Scroll wheel or voice command for a specific song.

To me everything seems super easy and intuitive. When I get in my wife's Telluride it feels like the opposite. Buttons everywhere, so, so many of them, UI not intuitive at all. Even my wife who is far from a tech person and drives my Model Y less then her car, feels more comfortable with the Model Y controls then her Telluride.

I don’t have a problem with my car. I like it just fine.

I was simply trying to point out that everything is a compromise, and that other cars have their advantages. That’s it. If you’re trying to get me to believe that Tesla does everything better than other manufacturers, it’s a lost cause. Cars are a lot more complicated than that, and some of us have nuanced views that recognizes tradeoffs when we see them. Tesla has the better overall package in my view, but reasonable minds can differ on that.

Going back to the topic at hand, real buttons are an aspect I would like better on the MachE. I’d happily trade some of the Model Y’s handling for a softer ride as well. Everything is a tradeoff.

Reactions: BigNerd
real buttons are an aspect I would like better on the MachE.
For some reason, I thought the MME has more physical controls so I was surprised to see it was really just that big dial. The bigger center console does make it easier to use touch controls because the area for things like HVAC is larger and easier to manipulate via touch.

I find it funny that people say using voice commands is the solution without considering all the use cases and scenarios... if you are by yourself, it probably works for most... but when you have other passengers... you can't interrupt conversations to tell your car what to do where a simple button/dial/touch would suffice.

7lk45w.jpg

And "auto" setting doesn't always work either... again... if you have other passengers the dynamics change.

As I said... to each their own.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
My wife has had a BMW for about three years and still doesn't know some of the controls. And she doesn't care if I try to explain them either. I like the fact that the Tesla controls can always be upgraded, where physical controls are static. They may yet arrive on some settings you love. I'm hoping for car play.... lol.

Reactions: cusetownusa
For some reason, I thought the MME has more physical controls so I was surprised to see it was really just that big dial. The bigger center console does make it easier to use touch controls because the area for things like HVAC is larger and easier to manipulate via touch.

I find it funny that people say using voice commands is the solution without considering all the use cases and scenarios... if you are by yourself, it probably works for most... but when you have other passengers... you can't interrupt conversations to tell your car what to do where a simple button/dial/touch would suffice.

7lk45w.jpg

And "auto" setting doesn't always work either... again... if you have other passengers the dynamics change.

As I said... to each their own.

good luck finding a supercharger in a mach E... the rest of those can be done from the left stalk / left scroll wheel now

Last edited:
Reactions: cusetownusa
You made the right choice.
And I am not talking about the looks, I am talking about performance and more important, the CCS DCFC infrastructure. And let's not forget, the Mach-E isn't on a 800 V architecture. In 5 years from now, when the CCS BEVs will be able to charge on the SuC and the CCS DCFC infrastructure will mature, the situation will be different. Right now, IMO, buying anything else but a Tesla when doing long distance trips regularly, would be a BIG mistake.

good luck finding a supercharger in a mach E...
Missing the point... again... not saying which car is better... just what features from certain cars are preferred by certain people.

Obv everyone would want a Supercharger network... but in my 2+ years of ownership... I've only used one twice... and I only have Level 1 charging at home.
the rest of those can be done from the left stalk / left scroll wheel now
And that proves my point... if people didn't want physical controls for stuff... why did Tesla add this capability? And... why are people complaining about the stalk removal from the latest spy shots of the "Highland" Model 3 steering wheel?

Not everyone is the same.

Missing the point... again... not saying which car is better... just what features from certain cars are preferred by certain people.

Obv everyone would want a Supercharger network... but in my 2+ years of ownership... I've only used one twice... and I only have Level 1 charging at home.

And that proves my point... if people didn't want physical controls for stuff... why did Tesla add this capability? And... why are people complaining about the stalk removal from the latest spy shots of the "Highland" Model 3 steering wheel?

Not everyone is the same.
I think you're missing the point that the meme was way off base

And what? Now you're criticizing software updates for providing features that some users wanted (like physical controls)?? I guess I am missing the point

Last edited: