Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Mach-E and my Y. Side by Side pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it is just you.

Depending on age and depreciation, the car may be worth less than the cost of a full pack replacement. Imagine you're in the used market and considering two 10-year-old EVs with 150,000 miles. One has a pack that must be replaced as a unit, and the other has serviceable modules. Which would you pay more for?

Tesla chose to compromise serviceability in exchange for lower cost of production, lighter weight, and presumably less complexity. As the pack leaves the warranty period, serviceability becomes worth a heckuva lot more to the owner left holding the bag.

Everything has it's pros and cons, and I'm entirely comfortable with my choice. But I won't delude myself into thinking that every possible aspect of the Model Y is superior to competing models. Everything is a compromise, so that wouldn't be possible.
In your scenario all the cells have 150000 miles, but only some of them have failed. But the rest are just as old and will fail soon. Might as well replace them all.

So you normally have the 2nd row up and third row down. So it is 43.5 to 26.6 cu.ft (30.6 with frunk) Ascent vs Y. So it is 42% more space that is also a box shape vs a dome top, small side compartments, lower level storage and a small frunk (AKA not efficient space). There is more to cargo storage than just the volume

I am sure the people in the 2nd row wouldn't also appreciate more head room, more hip room, more shoulder room but let's only focus on the one single seat dimension across all 3 rows that the model Y is ahead and ignore the 11 other dimensions.

Model Y vs 7 seaters
Efficiency - Important - excellent
Speed - not really important - excellent
Comfort - Important - poor
Seating dimensions - important - poor 3rd row, not great hip/shoulder room in 2nd/3rd
Cargo - important - good all seats down, decent all seats up but poor in most use cases (behind 2nd row)

I couldn't imagine putting my two dogs in the back with the 3rd row down and them being comfortable and also carry cargo. Most seven seat SUVs this is easy to do this. That and with all seats up the total space is so broken up and odd shaped it feels less than what it stated.

Now this isn't a knock on the Y as I believe it is the best performance SUV, it just wasn't designed well as a 7 seater or better put - not designed for what most 7 seaters are for
RE: dogs... theres plenty of room for dogs behind the 2nd row and a nice size storage compt. underneath for cargo.. youre right though not all cargo is the same e.g. its nice to have separate areas to keep things like food in the front trunk away from the dogs in the back

hip and shoulder room is only important if you have 5 adults (i've never had that scenario)... with 4 adults leg room is more important
the 5 seater actually has more head room on 2nd row than the ascent and the 7 seater is almost the same head room

more important is the fact that after 200k miles u could have almost bought a whole additional model Y with the gas $$ u spent on the ascent.. granted u probably wont make it to 200k miles on the ascent anyway given their track record for burning oil

like i said its not the ideal 7 seater but it works and keeps me from driving two cars on many occasions... i dont know 7 adults that would sit in a car together anyway.. once u hit > 4 adults people tend to drive their own cars unless youre just going up the street to a restaurant or something

• Informative
Reactions: SO16 and Yelobird
Just wanted to note that your Model S was built 8 years ago before Tesla was focusing on manufacturing efficiency (for that vehicle, at least).
True. But in the 8 years, it isolated to my S, but recently 3 my family members have as well, Tesla has

- improved manufacturing efficiency
- improved in the software. They made multiple improvements to their software. There have been some stepbacks, but their continuous improvement (CI) on the software fixed some of those.
- they got worst on support to a point of lack there of. There used be an email address or form you can fill out and get some helpful responses. Now, it’s nearly impossible to get a hold of someone l. You would have to literally bring the car into their SC if you are one of those fortunate enough to live within 45 minutes of one.
- Their QC process gotten worst
- They stopped their loaner program. Went from loaner to Uber to, in some cases, nothing.

All while the same time turned into a profitable company.

At the end of the day, Tesla will no doubt sell more cars and dominate the sector for the near future. They are by far a superior software company that make cars. They were smart with their charge network and layout that as a fundamental foundation. Their SC plus software universe is key. That is what they have above everyone else.

No doubt, I for one might get another Tesla due to their stronghold in the points I made above.

not impossible according to the service manual:

I think we’re talking about different things. That shows that you can replace the pack as a unit, which is something you can do on all of them. I’m talking about disassembling the pack to repair failed modules, which you can’t do for any of the batteries installed in a 3/Y.

I think we’re talking about different things. That shows that you can replace the pack as a unit, which is something you can do on all of them. I’m talking about disassembling the pack to repair failed modules, which you can’t do for any of the batteries installed in a 3/Y.
oh muh bad youre right... imo not a big deal if youre working on 15~20 year old batter might as well replace the whole thing

Most drivers keep their cars for 4-6 years, so this discussion is very limited for those who keep their cars longer than 6-8 years.

That’s true, but what do most drivers do when they are done with the cars they buy new?

They sell them. And that serviceability matters to resale value. I suppose it also matters to high-mileage drivers who run out of factory warranty within a few years. Do we want our cars to be disposable, or designed to exceed the average lifespan within the industry? A 10-year-old Toyota is worth double what a comparable Ford or Chevy is, and that’s all about perceived cost of operation in the eyes of the buyer.

Reactions: jsight and gt2690b
Most drivers keep their cars for 4-6 years, so this discussion is very limited for those who keep their cars longer than 6-8 years.
The median ownership period for the first owner of a new car in America is over 8 years, and the average age of the automotive fleet is over 12 years.

So the idea that “most” drivers keep their cars for 4-6 years is a made-up fantasy.

Guess you can follow your path. Makes No sense to me personally. Gruber charges on average 5k to “isolate“ or clip cells from the pack. A pack which is already 200k miles worn. For me paying 10k for a NEW pack and a new battery clock makes way more sense.

Reactions: gt2690b
As I said, 4680 is different.

Sure they’re different. But he still has to cut them out of the foam filler. This is not serviceable.

1683634849427.png

Guess you can follow your path. Makes No sense to me personally. Gruber charges on average 5k to “isolate“ or clip cells from the pack. A pack which is already 200k miles worn. For me paying 10k for a NEW pack and a new battery clock makes way more sense.

It’s not my path; I’m an idiot with money and go through cars faster than any reasonable person would. I wish I was the guy who kept a car for ten years, but I always get a new, shiny object in my head and find ways to justify it.

But with every new car I‘ve owned, I always had something older in the garage to meet another purpose. When I had big pickup trucks, I had older small cars like Priuses to get better gas mileage. For the last four years I’ve had a 2004 Expedition in the garage to pull my boat with. Part of that is because I like working on cars, so the idea of serviceability is commonly on my mind. Older ”throw away” cars that are worth more to repair than replace can be had for relative pennies on the used market.

The two components to value in old cars are perceived reliability and serviceability. Ten years from now, I’d be much more willing to buy an old EV with a serviceable battery because I know that repair should cost less than one requiring a full pack replacement. I’m not alone, and that makes the serviceable design worth more, assuming reliability is perceived to be similar.

Rebutting one statistic with an unrelated one is not a sound strategy.

Both can be true at the same time. There has been a surge in demand over the past several years for lots of reasons - historically low interest rates (and the sense that they will be and are now rising), record amounts of pandemic-related stimulus increasing household cash flow and pulling purchases forward, etc etc etc etc...

"According to an IHS Markit study, the average length of new-vehicle ownership in the U.S. stands at 79.3 months, or nearly seven years."

I think the real question looming for the auto market right now is, how long are people going to hold on to this huge wave of <5 year old cars? Sky-high interest rates, economic tightening, and record inflation are going to have a profound effect for the next several years - all pressures that are going to have people keeping these vehicles they just bought significantly longer.

I don't get this nonsense with "physical" controls. I can understand reviewers griping because the cars aren't set up for them. The car is designed to set your configuration by reading your key, then most operations that need control after initial set up are automatic. I have climate control set to 70 degrees with seat and steering wheel heaters set to auto. In the spring I aim the vents up a little bit and in the fall, I aim them down a bit. Wipers and headlights are automatic with some override in the stalk. Speaker volume is a thumb wheel, etc. Voice commands are there when you need them. There isn't much you need to do on the touch screen while in motion.

As for a driver display, what do you really need other than the easily visible MPH in the corner by your right hand.