Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Mach-E and my Y. Side by Side pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't say 3 second car just low 4 second car.. still very fast much faster than any other 40k ice car

Show me a gas car even close to these specs and I won't even care what it looks like
as I posted, besides the electric torque and HP. Well my wife’s Y does it 0-60 in 4.8 sec according to tesla, so I wouldn’t consider that low 4s.

So besides the 0-60 time, how much are would you pay for a model y non electric? Currently model Y is $47k -52k.

Wow, I did a nice job pissing everyone off. Haven’t done that in awhile! 😁

Lots of good comments, and of course it’s more nuanced than a “glued together” battery. So far, they seem to be very reliable, but there’s no way to replace individual cells without destroying the entire pack. Ford and SK are going through teething problems with their early modules, but SK is the manufacturer for Hyundai’s E-GMP cars, and they seem to be doing well. I have to believe they’ll get that figured out. Time will tell how they hold up, but I default to optimism until I see evidence otherwise.

Nissan did it wrong by introducing a compliance Leaf that nobody wanted, and then Tesla showed that EVs can be aspirational. Volkswagen and Toyota made compliance EVs, and Ford is first-to-market with options that mainstream buyers want to own. I think that’s a great thing, and I hope more people follow their and Tesla’s example.

Wow, I did a nice job pissing everyone off. Haven’t done that in awhile! 😁

Lots of good comments, and of course it’s more nuanced than a “glued together” battery. So far, they seem to be very reliable, but there’s no way to replace individual cells without destroying the entire pack. Ford and SK are going through teething problems with their early modules, but SK is the manufacturer for Hyundai’s E-GMP cars, and they seem to be doing well. I have to believe they’ll get that figured out. Time will tell how they hold up, but I default to optimism until I see evidence otherwise.

Nissan did it wrong by introducing a compliance Leaf that nobody wanted, and then Tesla showed that EVs can be aspirational. Volkswagen and Toyota made compliance EVs, and Ford is first-to-market with options that mainstream buyers want to own. I think that’s a great thing, and I hope more people follow their and Tesla’s example.
Nice EV evangelism, but I think Fords price for the Mach-e is more and the Mach-e has less in places where it matters the most.

Nice EV evangelism, but I think Fords price for the Mach-e is more and the Mach-e has less in places where it matters the most.

Right. That was the main point I was getting to on Wednesday.
None of that means the MachE is a bad car in my view. But I would never pay equal money for a MachE as I could get a Model Y for. Price that MachE at $35-40K and it may be a different story.

There’s a reason I’m here and not on the MachE forum, and I don’t regret that decision for a second. Going back to the original post, I appreciated the side-by-side comparison because they are similar in size. I was really surprised how much shorter the back of the MachE is, but I really like its front end.

Reactions: runningdenver
as I posted, besides the electric torque and HP. Well my wife’s Y does it 0-60 in 4.8 sec according to tesla, so I wouldn’t consider that low 4s.

So besides the 0-60 time, how much are would you pay for a model y non electric? Currently model Y is $47k -52k.
She can pay 2k for a software upgrade to make it a low 4 car.. something BMW owners dream about

I'll play your game though.. I already listed a comparable (albeit much slower) Subaru that goes for 40k... If you can get that Subaru to 120 mpg people would gladly pay 20k more for it.. look no further than how much more people will pay for hybrids just for a little extra efficiency... So yes at just over 40k (because most ever gets at least federal tax credit) .. the Y is a steal.. this isn't 2016 anymore

Reactions: SO16

Besides the torque and HP... Beside the 0-60 time how much would you pay for a Ferrari? it would be a Fiero lol

She can pay 2k for a software upgrade to make it a low 4 car.. something BMW owners dream about

I'll play your game though.. I already listed a comparable (albeit much slower) Subaru that goes for 40k... If you can get that Subaru to 120 mpg people would gladly pay 20k more for it.. look no further than how much more people will pay for hybrids just for a little extra efficiency... So yes at just over 40k (because most ever gets at least federal tax credit) .. the Y is a steal.. this isn't 2016 anymore
I don’t think you’re playing “my game”. I ask how much would you pay for a ICE car that looks like model y. I don’t think there are other cars where buyers who have had that much issues with paint, fit of interior or exterior panels. Wind noise, and etc

Besides the torque and HP... Beside the 0-60 time how much would you pay for a Ferrari? it would be a Fiero lol
So you’re stating a Ferrari is a Ferrari on just 0-60 speed? Are you comparing a factory built fiero to a hand built Ferrari.

So there are Ferraris that does same 0-60 as a m3, bmw m3 not a model 3, or even Porsche 716s. So you’re claiming a Ferrari should be 100k? The fit and finish is at another level. If a ferrari came out with a suv like model x without the speed and 0-60 in 7 seconds, you think people wouldn’t pay 200-300k for it?

I don’t think you’re playing “my game”. I ask how much would you pay for a ICE car that looks like model y. I don’t think there are other cars where buyers who have had that much issues with paint, fit of interior or exterior panels. Wind noise, and etc
I literally just said I'd pay 60k for a 7 seat SUV that gets 120 MPG except the Y is the only one that exists

Also bonus the Y requires much less maintenance than any ICE car

And yeah I do think horsepower means something and is definitely something people are paying for

I literally just said I'd pay 60k for a 7 seat SUV that gets 120 MPG except the Y is the only one that exists

And yeah I do think horsepower means something and is definitely something people are paying for
Kia EV9 will be on the market soon. There is that tax credit thing though.

Reactions: gt2690b and TomB985

Does this imaginery ice also have a 3 gallon tank?
Funny you talk about only 0-60 times and mpg and ignore range, something most Tesla owners use to rag on other EVs but magically when comparing it to ICE equivalent it's not brought up

The ascent you brought up has a usable third row, more cargo capacity, more range, better ride comfort, working park assist and off road capabilities. If someone actually required a 3rd row, the model Y is not on most people's list.

About maintenance, repair, insurance, the model y would likely be just as much as an ascent. Both Edmunds and CAA state its basically a wash

Does this imaginery ice also have a 3 gallon tank?
Funny you talk about only 0-60 times and mpg and ignore range, something most Tesla owners use to rag on other EVs but magically when comparing it to ICE equivalent it's not brought up

The ascent you brought up has a usable third row, more cargo capacity, more range, better ride comfort, working park assist and off road capabilities. If someone actually required a 3rd row, the model Y is not on most people's list.

About maintenance, repair, insurance, the model y would likely be just as much as an ascent. Both Edmunds and CAA state its basically a wash
The ascent has 75.6 cubic feet while the Y has 76.2 cubic feet... the 3rd row works great for my kids thats y we bought it... better ride comfort vs. better handling is a wash IMO... ascent off-road vehicle? um ok

anyway the question posed was how much would one pay for an ICE model Y.. ascent or Y... they are both worth over 50k if they got over 80mpg

Reactions: SO16
I'd argue the Rav4Prime could match the Y in MPG as an entire package. My Prius Prime has a lifetime 170mpg, so I imagine the Rav4Prime can pull off 120MPG depending on how much you actually need to use the gas engine (first 40mi are going to be EV every trip, which covers 95% of how I'd use it).

Anyway, I would have bought a Rav4Prime if not for the 20% dealer markup. Alas, I got a MY.

Reactions: Whatstreet
I'd argue the Rav4Prime could match the Y in MPG as an entire package. My Prius Prime has a lifetime 170mpg, so I imagine the Rav4Prime can pull off 120MPG depending on how much you actually need to use the gas engine (first 40mi are going to be EV every trip, which covers 95% of how I'd use it).

Anyway, I would have bought a Rav4Prime if not for the 20% dealer markup. Alas, I got a MY.
You can always try it again.

That's not really mpge though is it? Does it count shore power in that estimate?

I mean the published number is 133 mpge hard to believe you smashed it that much

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
The ascent has 75.6 cubic feet while the Y has 76.2 cubic feet... the 3rd row works great for my kids thats y we bought it... better ride comfort vs. better handling is a wash IMO... ascent off-road vehicle? um ok

anyway the question posed was how much would one pay for an ICE model Y.. ascent or Y... they are both worth over 50k if they got over 80mpg
Only with all seats down where it's close?
2nd row 26.6 vs 43.5
3rd row 12.8 vs 17.8

Leg room 3rd row
26.5 Vs 31.7

Not to mention the better hip and shoulder space in all rows. It's just flat out more room and more space. Heck just look at the size difference

I'm sorry better ride vs handling is not a wash in this segment. If this was a sports segment, I'd agree. But in a 7 seater family hauler... No

I love Tesla, and short listed a model Y for my needs, daily driver plus the occasional family hauler, but it is not better than my wives 7 seat SUV for full time family stuff. The ride is just way too stiff for this segment. Can the model Y do that stuff? Sure, but it's not blindly better

It gets tiresome when Tesla fans try to pretend Tesla makes vehicles that are the best at all things, which is hilarious considering the only 2 popular models are nearly identical and drive the same, so how can the same driving dynamics, features, etc. be best for all use cases (it's not)

If the model Y was an ICE is sorta hard to evaluate, does it keep all the pros and none of the cons of an EV? Does the frunk disappear? It keeps 120mpge but then has a tiny gas tank?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. (I'd choose the Y). What's inside makes a world of difference. I'd choose the company with 15 years of experience.
If you choose a company with experience making a car, then Ford wins. They can make a solid car. But their tech is lagging behind Tesla. Tesla is a software company making cars. They have good tech, but lag behind Ford. They can’t get simple car functions that work well for decades right. Like the windshield wipers.