Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Mach-E and my Y. Side by Side pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Top of the line Mach E is not worth $60k. If it was a gas car, it shouldn’t be over $40k.

Same with tesla. If the model Y was a gas car, not worth $40k.

i dunno.. if we are talking an ICE that can go 0-60 in 4 seconds.. gets 120MPG and seats 7 people i doubt u'd find one for under 40k

a comparable subaru ascent is like 40k MSRP but goes 0-60 in 7 seconds and gets about 22 MPG... u'll be losing $$$ in gas in no time not to mention a boring drive

in CO after 7500 federal and 2500 state a new Model Y AWD LR is right at 40k... seems like a no brainer

Last edited:
I agree with all your prior posts except this crazy comment.

It was sarcasm. I was responding to the idea that the MachE isn’t built to hold up over time. The MachE has a modular battery pack that can be repaired, compared to the Model Y’s glued-together pack that must be replaced as an entire unit. If I were buying a 10-year-old EV, I know which pack type I’d prefer.

Reactions: jsight
i dunno.. if we are talking an ICE that can go 0-60 in 4 seconds.. gets 120MPG and seats 7 people i doubt u'd find one for under 40k

a comparable subaru ascent is like 40k MSRP but goes 0-60 in 7 seconds and gets about 22 MPG... u'll be losing $$$ in gas in no time not to mention a boring drive

in CO after 7500 federal and 2500 state a new Model Y AWD LR is right at 40k... seems like a no brainer
Awesome you get state tax credit. MD use to have home charger credit but ran out of funds. Performance on model y package is a difference thing from LR. You’re not getting a sub under 3 second car at that class. Beside from electric motor torque and HP, if model y was a ICE car, the exterior and interior being exact, how much would you pay? I m going to guess you would not buy a model y gas because of the look. Lol

It was sarcasm. I was responding to the idea that the MachE isn’t built to hold up over time. The MachE has a modular battery pack that can be repaired, compared to the Model Y’s glued-together pack that must be replaced as an entire unit. If I were buying a 10-year-old EV, I know which pack type I’d prefer.
You are not lying and having a non biased view. BUT, you are on a tesla forum telling tesla owners that their cars are not the greatest thing next fresh water. Lol

It’s like the whole debate on evs vs ICE vehicles. People who never owned an EV will state how terrible they are. Wonder how many have actually not driven but rode in a Mach E.

That said, again I did purchase a model y over a Mach e because it was my money. Model y is a better car. It’s like a Honda accord vs. Chevy Malibu.

I’d prefer to not replace the pack or module at all.

Also, can new mach e modules be put in with older modules? With a Tesla model S, the overall battery ends up failing at about a year if not properly matched. Wk057 has extensive experience with that.

Awesome you get state tax credit. MD use to have home charger credit but ran out of funds. Performance on model y package is a difference thing from LR. You’re not getting a sub under 3 second car at that class. Beside from electric motor torque and HP, if model y was a ICE car, the exterior and interior being exact, how much would you pay? I m going to guess you would not buy a model y gas because of the look. Lol
Didn't say 3 second car just low 4 second car.. still very fast much faster than any other 40k ice car

Show me a gas car even close to these specs and I won't even care what it looks like

I’d prefer to not replace the pack or module at all.

Also, can new mach e modules be put in with older modules? With a Tesla model S, the overall battery ends up failing at about a year if not properly matched. Wk057 has extensive experience with that.

That's a good question. I think it's too soon to know for sure, but the modularity allows for the possibility of repair. I'm not one to bet on the future, but I'd wager that it would be cheaper ten years from now to replace a failed cell or module than the entire pack slung under the Model Y.

I chose the Model Y without even test driving the Ford for many of the reasons discussed earlier. But Ford got lots of things right with the MachE, and I want to see them succeed. The more successful the MachE and others are, the more pressure Tesla will have to keep improving their product. Everyone wins.

Saying the Tesla battery pack is only held together by glue is misleading. And, it is ignorant (I do not mean this in an insulting manner) to imply that there are only negatives to using "glue" or having a "unity" battery pack. You may be ignoring cost (where long term the consumer cost is still lowest if the original purchase price is less, the replacement pack lasts 10x longer than competitor's, etc etc), performance, longevity, temperature, weight, etc etc gains.

I'm not saying this is the case, but if a modular pack fails 10x earlier (just for example), it doesn't matter if the modules are cheaper than a whole battery. It's going to cost the consumer more.

Again, as I noted earlier I like the MachE and your earlier comments. But carte blanche describing a Tesla battery as glued together - or even that a unity battery is outright always the worst option - is short cited and likely ignorant (again, not an insulting ignorant).

That is one way to interpret my comment...
ALL cars are built disposable nowadays and consumers DGAF. That's the problem.
FWIW I never said the Mach E was not built to hold up but I've seen the Mach E and it's built as cheaply as other Ford mid range products.

Tesla has quality issues, and i've stated many of them honestly if you read my posts.

One model has the sealed structural battery- the 4860 Y std range, I believe. So 99% of Teslas out there have removable packs.
The 4680 Y battery can theoretically be replaced, they just used the top of the battery case as the floor of the car.
No, it can't be opened and individual cells or compoenents repaired but that's Tesla's production plan.

The LFP model 3 is the 10 year old EV I'd buy

That’s what I mean. Take an early-build failure and brand the entire lineup with them. They fixed the contractor problem over a year ago, and the modular pack enables repair rather than scrapping the entire pack for a few bad cells.

Tesla fans get all up in arms when people label the brand based on an early failure, but some are quick to do that to others.
But they still have the poor thermal management problem. That's a pretty big deal.

That's a good question. I think it's too soon to know for sure, but the modularity allows for the possibility of repair. I'm not one to bet on the future, but I'd wager that it would be cheaper ten years from now to replace a failed cell or module than the entire pack slung under the Model Y.

I chose the Model Y without even test driving the Ford for many of the reasons discussed earlier. But Ford got lots of things right with the MachE, and I want to see them succeed. The more successful the MachE and others are, the more pressure Tesla will have to keep improving their product. Everyone wins.
I just want to help people to get a better product. The Mach-e is going to depreciate enormously.

I just want to help people to get a better product. The Mach-e is going to depreciate enormously.
I agree. Ford is one of the few legacy brands that attacked the ev market in a productive and positive way.
They are completely arm tied by the dealer network but at least with ev's, they are trying to move to direct sales models.

In 10 yrs, all current ev's will depreciate enormously. The question is, which will last and be serviceable?

Just purely hypothetical but Tesla has the best chance of this simply because of the number of vehicles on the road.
The market for producing secondary market parts and batteries will go after the largest market.

There is a S curve of value. The Prius is a good example. Highly popular, very reliable and strong secondary market values...
until the battery dies. Out of warranty high mileage Prius values w/ dying battery packs are dirt cheap.
Then the aftermarket battery availability made these dirt cheap cars more than quadruple in value.
As that grows, it breathes more life into those old cars, as people account for a battery swap into a new lease on life.

I honestly believe the same will happen with Tesla products at 500k-1M miles. I think the biggest issue is the body and coachwork holding up and not so much the internals.
Again, spare parts will grow as Teslas hit 2nd and 3rd owners - and it will happen exponentially fast since literally millions bought them new within the last several years.

EV's are too new, but aftermarket and refurb batteries will become an industry once that tipping point happens.
Shade tree wrenching EV's is actually easier than ICE and less messy. That knowledge base will grow.

Reactions: HitchHiker71