Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edit: Could the 10% SoC difference have accounted for a significant portion of this? In my experience, I would be inclined to think that at most, it might account for up to 0.2 seconds of the difference perhaps...

It is a good question since we know the P85D is quite sensitive to changes in SoC (as opposed to an S85 or P85). We'll have more data points coming in the next couple of days but this is already good news. I would have to be able to test one over here in Europe so that I can take it to the autobahn and compare the results at higher speeds. This is probably difficult to test in the US but I would like to know if there is a difference in how fast the car gets power limited. If I push mine from 100 mph to max speed e.g. it almost immediately gets power limited. If the new fuse and contactors result in overheating the motor (and battery?) faster, the upgrade is not for me. If however, the upgrade allows sustaining higher power for longer, than I am very interested in getting ludicrous.

Yes, definitely more testing needed -- this video is just a first fun glimpse at the initial differences I noticed between my "Insane-only" P85D and Yo Mama's Ludicrous P85D.

I would venture to say that the wheel & tire size difference may play a bigger role than the SoC, but I'm not expert in these things.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread and others, it would be best to do a true apples-to-apples comparison by having the same exact wheel/tire configuration (and close tire wear). Then we could play around with SoC levels and see how much of a difference it really makes.

Yes, definitely more testing needed -- this video is just a first fun glimpse at the initial differences I noticed between my "Insane-only" P85D and Yo Mama's Ludicrous P85D.

I would venture to say that the wheel & tire size difference may play a bigger role than the SoC, but I'm not expert in these things.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread and others, it would be best to do a true apples-to-apples comparison by having the same exact wheel/tire configuration (and close tire wear). Then we could play around with SoC levels and see how much of a difference it really makes.

Agreed. It looks promising for sure. Hopefully the difference will continue to hold up when measured with a VBOX and we account for:

* wheel configuration
* tire pressures
* roof (pano weighs more)
* SoC
* Max battery state (both should be ready to ensure similar temps)

Does Ludicrous require special preconditioning such as "Max Power" mode, or is it simply a replacement for Insane mode on P85DL, therefore always available (and then there is the Max Power mode)? Were both cars in this test Max Power'ed?

Ludicrous does not require special preconditioning, however "Max Battery Power" is an option that has been enabled on all P90Ds with Ludicrous and now Yo Mama's P85D.

"Regular", non-Ludicrous P85Ds such as mine now also have the "Max Battery Power" option even though it "only" has Insane mode. This is new as of Firmware 7.0, which was released in the US on 10/15/2015.

Neither car in this test had the Max Battery Power engaged. Would be interesting to test again with the option enabled.

Does Ludicrous require special preconditioning such as "Max Power" mode, or is it simply a replacement for Insane mode on P85DL, therefore always available (and then there is the Max Power mode)? Were both cars in this test Max Power'ed?
No, "max power" is not a precondition for ludicrous. Yes, it supplants insane mode. To the best of my knowledge neither car was in "max power" mode (but I'm not 100% sure about how that even works with my ride now).

Yes. My layman's perspective was that the cars were similar from 50-60 but after 60 there was a big difference. I always felt that insane had a disappointing drop off in acceleration after 60 mph. Not so with ludicrous. It kept pulling strong up through the highest speed that I could handle safely. In other words, I tapped out before the car did. Someone needs to take one of these puppies out on a track and see if it pulls strong up to max speed.

Thanks for the info MarcG and yo mama. I asked because the main reason for me to get the L upgrade is to improve higher speed acceleration for everyday driving, not racing, therefore I don't have much use for the max power mode which as far as I can tell is only useful if you know minutes ahead of time when you're going to need max acceleration. Please update us if you repeat the test at the same SoC and/or with Max power.

Edit: Could the 10% SoC difference have accounted for a significant portion of this? In my experience, I would be inclined to think that at most, it might account for up to 0.2 seconds of the difference perhaps...

My dragstrip testing all those many months ago suggests that a 10% SoC would be associated with a much smaller change. The numbers show in this experiment are 17-18%. I didn't see a quarter as much difference from 90% SoC down to 40%.

If you haven't watched the video above, the table below will summarize the acceleration tests we ran:

Model50-80 mph60-85 mph
P85D Insane3.4 seconds3.3 seconds
P85D Ludicrous2.9 seconds2.7 seconds
Unless I made errors in my math, these numbers show your P85DL retrofit added an average of roughly 60 HP to accelerating your 5,000 lb MS from 50-80 mph and it added an average of 75 HP accelerating it from 60-85 mph.

Unless I made errors in my math, these numbers show your P85DL retrofit added an average of roughly 60 HP to accelerating your 5,000 lb MS from 50-80 mph and it added an average of 75 HP accelerating it from 60-85 mph.
Well, that's not too shabby. Anecdotally, if you subtract the previously advertised 691 motor power* for the P85D from the "as advertised" 762 motor power for the P85DL, that would be a 71 motor power difference, which is in line with your math. It's also in line with my (unscientific) gut feel that there was about 10%-15% more oomph, post-upgrade.

Well, that's not too shabby. Anecdotally, if you subtract the previously advertised 691 motor power* for the P85D from the "as advertised" 762 motor power for the P85DL, that would be a 71 motor power difference, which is in line with your math. It's also in line with my (unscientific) gut feel that there was about 10%-15% more oomph, post-upgrade.
Rather than the combined "Motor Power", the battery-limited power (463 HP for the P85D) would be more applicable to these comparisons. I'm waiting for some before & after retrofit drag strip time slips to be posted for a more precise comparison.

I'm tracking the retrofit performance because I have a P90DL and they haven't been performing in the wild as Tesla said they would (with 10.9 second 1/4 mile ETs).

Rather than the combined "Motor Power", the battery-limited power (463 HP for the P85D) would be more applicable to these comparisons. I'm waiting for some before & after retrofit drag strip time slips to be posted for a more precise comparison.

I'm tracking the retrofit performance because I have a P90DL and they haven't been performing in the wild as Tesla said they would (with 10.9 second 1/4 mile ETs).
Yes, I am all too familiar with being in that boat. My advice: consider being first in line to sign up for any performance-related upgrades that might be announced for the P90DL in the future. (To be clear, I am NOT aware of any such upgrades. Just sayin' that I'm really, really happy that I blindly dove in head first on Ludicrous).

but I fear this thread will shortly be taken over by the thinnicks ..... and self proclaimed experts ... so enjoy your upgrade

That's kind of harsh, don't you think?

The people that many of us consider experts in this stuff--posters like lolachampcar and fiksegts--are pretty humble, and I don't think either of them have ever come close to referring to themselves as an expert. I actually can't think of too many posters here who the "self-proclaimed expert" tag would correctly apply to.

Yes, I am all too familiar with being in that boat. My advice: consider being first in line to sign up for any performance-related upgrades that might be announced for the P90DL in the future. (To be clear, I am NOT aware of any such upgrades. Just sayin' that I'm really, really happy that I blindly dove in head first on Ludicrous).

Can you take a look at the P85D Ludicrous Easter egg and see if it's the same as the P90D Ludicrous Easter egg?