Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was the trick? Your explaining it is sure to help someone else.

Thanks!
First, select the blue "max battery power" hyperlink in the "driving" portion of controls - right under the "sport v. ludicrous" buttons. A window pops up to select "max battery power." (This is where I got confused). Making the selection doesn't appear to do anything within the pop up. You can toggle between selecting and "unselecting" this option and it switches between blue and grey but doesn't confirm whether you've turned it on or not. It isn't' until you exit the pop up window that you know if you've done anything. If you have, the initial "max battery power" hyperlink turns into a "count down" (mine was 45 minutes, which is longer than I recall taking - but it is 55 degrees out today, which is cold for San Jose). If you've failed to correctly select max power then the initial blue hyper link still reads "max battery power" just like it did at the beginning. I must have done this 4 or 5 times without choosing the right option in the pop up window.

Not being a numskull like me would also appear to be of some benefit in the exercise.

First, select the blue "max battery power" hyperlink in the "driving" portion of controls - right under the "sport v. ludicrous" buttons. A window pops up to select "max battery power." (This is where I got confused). Making the selection doesn't appear to do anything within the pop up. You can toggle between selecting and "unselecting" this option and it switches between blue and grey but doesn't confirm whether you've turned it on or not. It isn't' until you exit the pop up window that you know if you've done anything. If you have, the initial "max battery power" hyperlink turns into a "count down" (mine was 45 minutes, which is longer than I recall taking - but it is 55 degrees out today, which is cold for San Jose). If you've failed to correctly select max power then the initial blue hyper link still reads "max battery power" just like it did at the beginning. I must have done this 4 or 5 times without choosing the right option in the pop up window.

Not being a numskull like me would also appear to be of some benefit in the exercise.

I can pretty much guarantee you that your write-up will save other numskulls time and frustration! Thanks for sharing!

I'm just incredibly grateful that there are ginny pigs out there willing to "take one for the team". The info we have gotten so far is far superior to anything I've heard from Tesla.

I believe Tesla is being very careful about releasing performance figures because we are not talking new cars here. Every battery has a slightly different degradation at this point so there will be variation in the performance figures each and every upgraded P85D will be able to attain. Here's a small excerpt from an internal e-mail:

Tesla said:
(if customers press on for absolute times, please reiterate the relative improvement over the current performance and not the absolute time. As the vehicle ages, the performance level is dependent on how people use it, which is hard to generalize across the population. But for a brand new P85D, the ludicrous retrofit with the 0.2 second improvement over the stated 3.1 seconds 0-60 should provide for a 2.9 seconds 0-60 time).

I just provided my local service center with information about this thread. In this way, they can direct customers asking about the difference to actual customer experience without exposing the company to any liability for results achieved.

I was there for the seat belt recall. FYI, Tesla is concerned about crimp on the steel cable to lower shoulder belt attachment point and not belt stitching as I had read elsewhere. Apparently they found a few bad crimps where they could feel play between the cable and the crimp body.

90/85 * 425 is about 450 so your numbers would seem to dove tail nicely with the capacity difference. The rest could be measurement error, SoC or simply the rumored improved chemistry in the 90 pack.
If we cross multiply and divide, then yes, assuming away all other variables except battery capacity. It's a rational hypothesis. That said, I've measured less than a half dozen runs - only one of which used max power (which supposedly only improves performance after 60+mph, which I've yet to be able to test). I'm sure someone will be able to find a little higher power ceiling for a P85DL but perhaps not drastically so.

If we cross multiply and divide, then yes, assuming away all other variables except battery capacity. It's a rational hypothesis. That said, I've measured less than a half dozen runs - only one of which used max power (which supposedly only improves performance after 60+mph, which I've yet to be able to test). I'm sure someone will be able to find a little higher power ceiling for a P85DL but perhaps not drastically so.

How are you measuring power exactly? I asked sorka upthread but he's on vacation and is having to sneak away from his wife to post here :biggrin:

How are you measuring power exactly? I asked sorka upthread but he's on vacation and is having to sneak away from his wife to post here :biggrin:
I took Sorka's advice and bought the "Power Tools For Tesla" app. It reads the data my car transmits to Tesla and then imports that into Excel spreadsheets. Tech morons like me can see the maximum power and maximum speed captured in a summary screen. Smarterer individuals could probably interpret even more from the underlying spreadsheets.

I took Sorka's advice and bought the "Power Tools For Tesla" app. It reads the data my car transmits to Tesla and then imports that into Excel spreadsheets. Tech morons like me can see the maximum power and maximum speed captured in a summary screen. Smarterer individuals could probably interpret even more from the underlying spreadsheets.

Thanks, will look into it!

I would love to integrate area under the power curve for both the P85D and P85DL for runs at different speed ranges (launches, roll ons and the like) to see if there is any empirical backing to a surge energy theory.

Is this an implicit request to Yo Mama and myself to do more runs while capturing data? :biggrin: