Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@lolachampcar thanks for this vital input as it seems this upgrade wont be possible to test here in Norway before th 6mnth period is up.... A way to familiar feeling for me;) And I am not paying this amount of money for the launch improvements.

@jpet yes, I also took the 20% part to be significant. More so than the 0-60 improvement. Just hope Tesla releases an OTA for the P90DL soon. Otherwise this isnt looking good.

For tonight, I'll leave you with the the video of our side-by-side launch acceleration test from a traffic light onto the on-ramp :biggrin:

Thanks, Marc and yo mama!

Though it's a bit hard to tell from the video, it certainly looks as if, as expected, the cars may have been about even to about 30 MPH, at which point the upgraded P85D started pulling away. (The first little bit of yo mama's car is visible ahead of Marc's car when Marc's speedometer is at 39 MPH.) Since the cars are traction limited to about 30 MPH, it would make sense that the Ludicrous upgrade would not provide any advantage below 30.

Assuming Marc's take on it was that the cars were about even at the very start, it's good to see confirmation of what was expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like some have already opined, I also don't need more oomph at launch, but if it's there, I'll take it.

That there appears to be a bit more passing capability is good to hear.
The hard data will speak for itself. But my nontechnical, inelegant perspective is that the passing power we all thought should be there - and stay there - from around 65+ now *is* there. It doesn't dissipate on you. It kept pulling through the higher speeds like it had some balls.

I dropped my car off in Fremont this morning to get the Ludicrous upgrade. I'm number two. Quite excited.

They wanted it with a low charge. I may have gone overboard, but gave it to them with a 6% charge. That is lower than I have ever been before. After my drive last night to run it down a bit, I had 42 range miles left. When I put it in park I got a (new to me) warning on the center console that the range would be even less when the battery was cold and I should charge the car. This morning it showed 31 range miles. EvTripPlanner said I needed 22 to get to Fremont so I only suffered from mild range anxiety.

I've borrowed Pete90D's PowerBox and bought powertools and will take measurements as soon as I get it back.

Did that include flooring it and for how long was it sustained? That's about 570hp
Yeah, I more or less floored it from a complete stop in a 0-50 setting - I achieved the 425kw at 40mph. It was a pretty short distance because, you know, city streets.

- - - Updated - - -

It's about heating. It says as much in the description and you can hear the heat pumps working when in use.

You don't need to have max battery enabled to enjoy Insane or Ludicrous mode. I'm not sure where that rumor or theory started.
Okay, here is the technical information I was able to gather on the max power thing. Max power can be used with or without ludicrous. Max power mode adjusts the HV battery to the optimal temp for the least amount of resistance, which allows for easier current flow. This is supposed to enhance acceleration but at the expense of range. However, most of the acceleration enhancements will be realized after 60+ mph.

It's about heating. It says as much in the description and you can hear the heat pumps working when in use.

You don't need to have max battery enabled to enjoy Insane or Ludicrous mode. I'm not sure where that rumor or theory started.

yo mama responded with the following, as an attempted explanation:

Okay, here is the technical information I was able to gather on the max power thing. Max power can be used with or without ludicrous. Max power mode adjusts the HV battery to the optimal temp for the least amount of resistance, which allows for easier current flow. This is supposed to enhance acceleration but at the expense of range. However, most of the acceleration enhancements will be realized after 60+ mph.

But actually, andrewket, I believe this post is probably what started the rumor (bold and underline added by me):

Okay, dropped my MS off this evening. Everyone was super cool. Picked up two little tidbits. First, sounds like they are only doing 1 upgrade per week at the moment. Second, for an upgraded P85DL the battery has to be warmed up (not hot or cold) in order for ludicrous mode to even present itself as an option. I suspect the "max power" software upgrade was intended to help with this. I'm pretty pumped though - so were the service folks.

As I posted last night, I'm both hoping and guessing the person who told yo mama that had just misinterpreted something.

We'll need to have a word with that rumor-starting asshat. :ducks:

I apologize if that caused any confusion. I was honestly just trying to share whatever I could.

Not faulting you for this at all! Not one little bit! You were relaying information as it was provided to you, which is all we can ask. I'm just hoping that in this case you were provided bad information, that's all.

Not faulting you for this at all! Not one little bit! You were relaying information as it was provided to you, which is all we can ask. I'm just hoping that in this case you were provided bad information, that's all.
My *initial* info was almost certainly an unfortunate byproduct of me (not a technical guy) trying to interpret technical information that was given to me orally (insert jokes here). My second attempt at relaying this info earlier today was based on written communication, so there's less likelihood of me screwing things up in translation this time around.