Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, my layman's perspective is that the best performance comes at 90%+ SoC. Ran the same test on the way home at 69% SoC and maxed out at 432kw (which is still better that the prior 425kw from the other day, but still). FWIW, I did take the time to warm the battery up via max power before recording anything today. Who knows if that made a difference. I am also virtually certain that I'll be able to coax some higher numbers from the car once I get it back up to 90%+ SoC. The downside is that, if I'm right, our peak performance numbers won't last *too* long because I burned through the first 9% SoC pretty darned quick. That only got me like half way from San Jose to Fremont.

Okay, my layman's perspective is that the best performance comes at 90%+ SoC. Ran the same test on the way home at 69% SoC and maxed out at 432kw (which is still better that the prior 425kw from the other day, but still). FWIW, I did take the time to warm the battery up via max power before recording anything today. Who knows if that made a difference. I am also virtually certain that I'll be able to coax some higher numbers from the car once I get it back up to 90%+ SoC. The downside is that, if I'm right, our peak performance numbers won't last *too* long because I burned through the first 9% SoC pretty darned quick. That only got me like half way from San Jose to Fremont.

I'm wondering what it will do from a 100% SOC on down to that 91%.

I guess we will find out soon enough.

Very flat output with no obvious peaks. However, it's a very short run too. A longer run from say 50 to 80 would really be helpful and I could overlay my own 50 to 80 runs that I did based on the earlier video. Also, it looks like it took about 750 ms to ramp up from cruising to full power. I'm going to guess that you had family in the care and didn't stomp the pedal. If you did, it should take about 200 ms to go from cruise power to full power.

Screen Shot 2015-11-26 at 6.04.21 PM.png

446KW = 598 hp at battery = 538 hp at the wheels if we see the same 10% loss that I see from battery to wheels. Very close to P90DL.

Very flat output with no obvious peaks. However, it's a very short run too. A longer run from say 50 to 80 would really be helpful and I could overlay my own 50 to 80 runs that I did based on the earlier video. Also, it looks like it took about 750 ms to ramp up from cruising to full power. I'm going to guess that you had family in the care and didn't stomp the pedal. If you did, it should take about 200 ms to go from cruise power to full power.

View attachment 102260

446KW = 598 hp at battery = 538 hp at the wheels if we see the same 10% loss that I see from battery to wheels. Very close to P90DL.

this is good, real good. Should pull hard at high speed and is faster at lower SOC.
Problem s my center still has no info on dates.

Here's your 0-60 run at 60%.

412 KW comes at 32 MPH which is not even seen on a P85D at 90% until 36 MPH, so it appears the power band is a little bit wider as well. Would love to see a 0-60 at 90% or more with max battery in ready mode. There's an odd dip at 3 seconds down to 397KW. Wondering if you hit a bump or something. Powertools may have said 3.5 seconds, but if you extrapolate from the curve, you did it in 3.4 seconds. With a 1 ft roll out, it would be about 3.1 seconds which is good because you did that at 60%.

Screen Shot 2015-11-26 at 8.19.52 PM.png

- - - Updated - - -

Punching it from 37 to 78 at 90%. Maxed at 422KW.

Screen Shot 2015-11-26 at 8.34.37 PM.png

This shows the same sort of mild decline over the longer time period. In your 75 to 90 burst that peaked at 446KW, I suspect had you started at 58 MPH instead that you would have seen an even higher number.

If you can do a 0-60 run with max battery at ready at 90% or more, I can overlay it with a P85D with max battery ready.

Last edited:
Somewhere around 90-93% SoC, the battery reaches its maximum Voltage. If we take the simple model that there is a maximum current, and the maximum Voltage is reached a little over 90% SoC, then maximum power (Volts * Amps) is also reached a little over 90%.
That is not exactly correct.
1) The highest open circuit voltage (basically the voltage of the battery when it is at rest with no load) is always going to be at 100% SOC. There is still going to be a measurable difference in voltage between 90% SOC and 100% SOC.
2) There was a claim from Tesla that said: "It is important to note that being at 100% state of charge does not deliver the best acceleration -- lowest impedance is at ~90% SoC."

Lower impedance means that the voltage will sag less when the battery is under load (like for example at maximum power output). However, this is still relative (at 100% you still start out at a higher voltage before sagging).

However, wk057 said that he did not find a significant SOC based dependence when measuring internal resistance of the D-version 85kWh pack cells (meaning best performance should still be at 100% SOC according to his tests). Of course it may be possible there was a cell change for the P85D and other dual motor versions, as they used a different pack).

Sorka:
Can you help me (us) out?
First off much thanks for your graphs and work on the performance.

I am color blind. That said, can you perhaps distinguish the lines with something other than COLOR? One bold one thin third dotted?

Second, naming the graphs would be helpful... i.e. YO MAMA RUN 30 -> 60 SOC = xx%, max power OFF, 21" tires, 56 Deg F, firmware = x.y.z

I am not being critical but in the spirit of discovery, the categorization and labeling of test results is important and as time goes on, we can forget the details....

Keep up the great work guys, I look forward to more instrumented testing.

Last edited:
Adding only the recent highest data points collected from yomama, here's how the chart looks now:

TeslaPwr12.jpg

That slope looks a little strange. The peak performance points at the lower SoC looks a lot higher than expected. Hopefully this will become more clear as additional data is collected. I wish we had similar data for the P90D.

Seems like we have enough data now for people to make fairly informed decisions on whether to fork over the $5K. I'm impressed by the results and will go for it when it comes to this area. With any luck I figure I'll be enjoying the upgrade by around my first anniversary with the car. That would be cool. Get to enjoy it all over again.

Seems like we have enough data now for people to make fairly informed decisions on whether to fork over the $5K. I'm impressed by the results and will go for it when it comes to this area. With any luck I figure I'll be enjoying the upgrade by around my first anniversary with the car. That would be cool. Get to enjoy it all over again.

Now we just need to see more SCs rolled out.

I had decided that the Ludicrous upgrade was just more than I need, but these data are wonderful to see. I'm now reconsidering.

What do we think the last possible date is for signing up for the upgrade and committing to the $500 non-refundable deposit?