Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An acceleration run from 0 to 90 MPH passing through the same two speed ranges:

50-80 = 3.47 seconds
60-85 = 3.33 seconds

That's very close, if not identical to my completely unscientific runs. From the video I posted:

Model50-80 mph60-85 mph
P85D Insane3.4 seconds3.3 seconds
P85D Ludicrous2.9 seconds2.7 seconds

OK. You guys convinced me. I'm on the wait list at Burlingame, but never put down the deposit online. I went to the online shop, and now put down the deposit, and selected Burlingame, but also wrote in the notes, that I'm open to the Fremont Factory installation if it takes too long for other centers to do the upgrade. Let's see!

FYI, my service advisor at the Burlingame service center emailed me back about my inquiry regarding Ludicrous upgrades at their SC, and had this to say:

We here at Burlingame have not started any update for Ludicrous. Currently, only Fremont has been designated for this update. It has not been determined yet if we will be performing them here. If we were, we would not be starting until sometime after the first of next year.

sorka's observations that traversing a given speed range does not change with run start point pretty much kills my surge energy theory. Tesla is completely controlling battery draw (which is good news as it means there is more there should warranty liability and reliability allow it to be used).

FYI, a friend of mine is taking delivery of her P90D next Thursday, and she also got the 19" wheels. So I'll be doing some runs and comparing the two to see if wheel size is a big factor. Now if we can only find an upgraded P85D with 19" wheels...

FYI, a friend of mine is taking delivery of her P90D next Thursday, and she also got the 19" wheels. So I'll be doing some runs and comparing the two to see if wheel size is a big factor. Now if we can only find an upgraded P85D with 19" wheels...
My P85D which is in getting the ludicrous upgrade right now has 19 inch wheels. I doubt the wheels have a significant impact.

Right, if it turns out the fuse is only allowing higher current as the SOC lowers, then then both cars would have been fairly close at 90% with the P85DL slightly edging out the non L P85D by .1 seconds instead of .5 seconds. i.e. if the inverter is a bottleneck to higher power, then uncorking the fuse would allow the same higher power at lower SOCs.

However, yo mama has already mentioned the output was only 344KW at 45% which even if the battery was cold seems really low. So honestly I don't know.

I'd really like to see if the P85DL improves a lot from 70% to 90% like the P85D does.

I really don't understand why the optimal performance is at 85 to 90 percent SOC but the max power is at 100 percent. There may something else going on like better current flow?
I think the vbox comparisons will be key at the same SOC.

I really don't understand why the optimal performance is at 85 to 90 percent SOC but the max power is at 100 percent. There may something else going on like better current flow?
I think the vbox comparisons will be key at the same SOC.

The highest power reading should be at 100% but on the P85D the maxim power doesn't appear to increase beyond 415KW above 90%. Perhaps it's software limited beyond this point to protect the inverter.

My guess is that power is managed almost entirely to protect the battery. There may be some motor protection current limits at very low rpms but it would seem that 691 combined motor hp would allow for way more power to be applied to the motors then to that which can be extracted to from the battery. This makes me think it is all about the battery.

Has anyone published a graph showing Max Power vs SOC? Seems like it would be most useful. I've looked around and other than a few partial tables, I could not find one. It would be very nice to see a graph for both P85D and P90D.

Here's a simple table and graph from Sorka's data:

Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 6.38.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 6.46.11 PM.png

no I picked up an inventory (250 miles) Model S P90DL using my referral credits...

my Model X P90DL Founders is config'd and ordered.... Deep Blue, Tan Interior, Silver 22" wheels and all the options...

ok fiks....... you beat me to it. I'm right in the middle of discussions (negotiations) with Tesla on that subject :( Did you simply throw money at the problem?
Just read your sig.... Did you get an X P90DL founders delivered????

Thanks for that :) Some of those were warm and some cold which unfortunately makes the graph uneven. A nice long multi hour drive from 95% down to 25% with a 50 to 85 run every 5% would probably produce a nice even curve.

It'd also be nice if "from Sorka's data" had something like a model number in there. :)

I know you didn't make the graph and thanks to you and the person who did. Just would like a better annotation of the type of data in the graph.

Here's my attempt to organize the data in this thread to show approximate graphing of low/high temp P85D data from Sorka and YoMa plus reference points from P85DL and P90DL. Although the data is sparse, curve fitting shows believable plots. Of course more data would give a more accurate picture. It would especially be interesting to see P90DL data since the battery technology is different.

TeslaPwr10.jpg

Here's my attempt to organize the data in this thread to show approximate graphing of low/high temp P85D data from Sorka and YoMa plus reference points from P85DL and P90DL. Although the data is sparse, curve fitting shows believable plots. Of course more data would give a more accurate picture. It would especially be interesting to see P90DL data since the battery technology is different.

Thanks for putting that together!

The highest power reading should be at 100% but on the P85D the maxim power doesn't appear to increase beyond 415KW above 90%. Perhaps it's software limited beyond this point to protect the inverter.

Somewhere around 90-93% SoC, the battery reaches its maximum Voltage. If we take the simple model that there is a maximum current, and the maximum Voltage is reached a little over 90% SoC, then maximum power (Volts * Amps) is also reached a little over 90%.

Somewhere around 90-93% SoC, the battery reaches its maximum Voltage. If we take the simple model that there is a maximum current, and the maximum Voltage is reached a little over 90% SoC, then maximum power (Volts * Amps) is also reached a little over 90%.
So what I'm hearing is that I should charge to 95% and then do some driving with Power Tools on?

ETA: I'm charged to 98% and the Mrs. just told me we "have" to go visit some folks in Fremont today for Thanksgiving. Heh. Sure, baby - I'm happy to drive to see your family today. Win win. :cool:

Last edited: