Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edit: Note, I'm not really referring to Ludicrous, just the pack swap. I'm honestly not too interested in shelling out $5k on top for a minor performance update.

I want another 85 pack for an upcoming project (EV conversion), and if I can get a 90 pack for my P85D as well in the process for basically the same overall price, then I'm probably going to do that.

You may find that if you.can talk to the right people, the cost of the Ludicrous upgrade when purchased with a 90 pack should be less than $5k.

The $5k other P85D owners are paying includes a large labor component to swap the fuse and contactors in the 85 pack. But if you would be paying for a 90 pack at the same time, there would be a lot less, or possibly even no real labor involved, other than the labor to swap one pack for the other, which is presumably built into the cost of the new pack. It wouldn't surprise me if someone at Tesla could, in this case, committ to selling you the Ludicrous upgrade for something closer to $2500.

You may find that if you.can talk to the right people, the cost of the Ludicrous upgrade when purchased with a 90 pack should be less than $5k.

The $5k other P85D owners are paying includes a large labor component to swap the fuse and contactors in the 85 pack. But if you would be paying for a 90 pack at the same time, there would be a lot less, or possibly even no real labor involved, other than the labor to swap one pack for the other, which is presumably built into the cost of the new pack. It wouldn't surprise me if someone at Tesla could, in this case, committ to selling you the Ludicrous upgrade for something closer to $2500.

Well, honestly, if I'm shelling out $25k for the pack swap they should just give me the update anyway if it involves no additional labor (pretty sure this is the case, but I could be wrong). But I don't expect them to. They'll likely want to just hit me up for the $5k on top of it still to flip a slider in the configuration screen.

Well, honestly, if I'm shelling out $25k for the pack swap they should just give me the update anyway if it involves no additional labor (pretty sure this is the case, but I could be wrong). But I don't expect them to. They'll likely want to just hit me up for the $5k on top of it still to flip a slider in the configuration screen.

I asked Tanya specifically that if I just bought the new pack if it would include the software update for L and she told me it involved replacing more parts than what is in the pack. If it didn't, and if the pack was already available, I was just going to pop the $22.5K and turn my P85D into a P90DL despite the likelihood that the 90 packs are degrading faster than the 85 packs.

I asked Tanya specifically that if I just bought the new pack if it would include the software update for L and she told me it involved replacing more parts than what is in the pack. If it didn't, and if the pack was already available, I was just going to pop the $22.5K and turn my P85D into a P90DL despite the likelihood that the 90 packs are degrading faster than the 85 packs.

Interesting. I wonder what else they'd have to replace. The only thing I can think of would be the fuse for the front drive unit under the rear seat.

As for 90 packs degrading faster, not sure. I know the cells I've been testing from the 85 packs are pretty good on the degradation front. I've not yet found the drop off in capacity that signified imminent cell death/uselessness even in my most tortured set of cells. My worst cell in testing still has significant capacity.

Would be cool to get ahold of some of the 90 cells though.

Interesting. I wonder what else they'd have to replace. The only thing I can think of would be the fuse for the front drive unit under the rear seat.

As for 90 packs degrading faster, not sure. I know the cells I've been testing from the 85 packs are pretty good on the degradation front. I've not yet found the drop off in capacity that signified imminent cell death/uselessness even in my most tortured set of cells. My worst cell in testing still has significant capacity.

Would be cool to get ahold of some of the 90 cells though.

The 90 cells use silicon in the anode which is know to decrease cycle life as the tradeoff for increasing capacity. It also usually results in higher IR as well so I would have expected a larger voltage drop. Clearly that can't be the case unless they solved this issue without the usual shortcomings.

The 90 cells use silicon in the anode which is know to decrease cycle life as the tradeoff for increasing capacity. It also usually results in higher IR as well so I would have expected a larger voltage drop. Clearly that can't be the case unless they solved this issue without the usual shortcomings.

Well, 100,000 miles might be anywhere from 350 to 500 full cycle equivalent charging/discharging. That's actually not that many cycles considering the large time span with 100,000 miles on average being like 8 years.

Panasonic NCR18650B @ 500 cycles has ~70% capacity per their data sheet. I'm assuming that's 500 pretty fast cycles, though. Extrapolating out based on some of my data that tries to mimic EV usage suggests that much greater cycle life is possible.

So, even if the new cells have slightly faster degradation, I don't think it'll matter much in the 100,000 mile life cycle.

Looks like I'm probably pulling the trigger on the 85 to 90 swap for the purpose of using my 85 pack for my EV conversation project. I'll start a thread when I have more info.

Edit: is anyone willing to share their L update invoice? Curious as to what the parts and labor list is. I keep getting conflicting answers on what is done.

Last edited:
So to get back to the title of this thread - what is the status of upgrade scheduling? Are they just being done in limited places or is it rolling out across the US? And what about here in Canada - any ETA?

There have been no reports of scheduled upgrades or completed upgrades done at any other SC. My local center doesn't know anything about the planned schedule, as of last time I asked them.

Ok thanks - I couldn't find that info from the thread as it quickly got into discussions of performance.

By the way it would be nice if they would extend the six month deadline since it is seems like they will be doing very few upgrades in the six months since the announcement came. I think it was July 17 so that takes us to Jan 17.

Edit: is anyone willing to share their L update invoice? Curious as to what the parts and labor list is. I keep getting conflicting answers on what is done.
Not very interesting, but here it is.
invoice.PNG