Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Lucid (Atieva) reveal is December 14th. I'll be there, let you know afterwards.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They spend a lot of time in the reveal bragging about the headlights... such a shame being that there's zero chance of them making it to production. Not in North America. Keep in mind that the high end luxury cars have headlights that adapt beam pattern in Europe, but not in North America, the reason is the law doesn't actually allow it.

Additionally I took a closer look at the charge port. As mentioned earlier, it's a HORRIBLE location for it for many reasons, but the reason I'm seeing right now is that the snow and ice build-up in there will make it a ROYAL pain to charge in the winter.

Reactions: MP3Mike
As many may already know, I'm quite ready to go with ANYBODY other than Tesla if they make a compelling alternative. (I think the Model S is the best car on the market, from a company that I would never chose to do business with) What remains to be seen with Lucid is:
a) will there be enough real cargo space (I can't see it unless the rear bench folds down)
b) will there be a reasonable charging network (they haven't talked about that much at all)

If they manage those 2, without completely blowing the bank, and actually manage to execute on their promises, I'm probably there.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
Here is a video review from Alex Roy. It gives a good review on the interior. The touchscreens are functional. What about that retractable center display? Not sure if it is a good idea but cool though. It retracts to reveal more storage space.

As many may already know, I'm quite ready to go with ANYBODY other than Tesla if they make a compelling alternative. (I think the Model S is the best car on the market, from a company that I would never chose to do business with) What remains to be seen with Lucid is:
a) will there be enough real cargo space (I can't see it unless the rear bench folds down)
b) will there be a reasonable charging network (they haven't talked about that much at all)

If they manage those 2, without completely blowing the bank, and actually manage to execute on their promises, I'm probably there.
It is likely that they are relying on the CCS standard for charging.

It is likely that they are relying on the CCS standard for charging.
Good luck with that. If a widespread CCS network does gets built it is unlikely it will be centrally planned with the goal to provide useful charging locations for long distance travel. And whatever does get built is years away from being a reality.

Of course the Lucid EV is years away from being reality, I suspect.

Good luck with that. If a widespread CCS network does gets built it is unlikely it will be centrally planned with the goal to provide useful charging locations for long distance travel. And whatever does get built is years away from being a reality.

Of course the Lucid EV is years away from being reality, I suspect.
There is nothing stopping them from using a standard, and rolling out a network. Just because Tesla chose to roll out a network without using any standard doesn't mean that Lucid needs to make the same mistake. As for years away, Look at the supercharger network, it has taken a couple of years to get where it is now, but it isn't all that old either. There's no reason they couldn't catch up using the same model Tesla did. Better yet, using standard chargers they could have help from other interests which would allow for a far more rapid build-out.

Additionally I took a closer look at the charge port. As mentioned earlier, it's a HORRIBLE location for it for many reasons, but the reason I'm seeing right now is that the snow and ice build-up in there will make it a ROYAL pain to charge in the winter.
I was told the final charge port location hadn't been decided yet and that they were also looking at putting it in front somewhat like the old EV-1, LEAF and Soul EV etc. I'm not sure why the front driver-side location you probably saw on the prototype demo cars was so awful. Several cars like the Volt and the Ford Energi cars use that general location without any particular problem as far as I know.

IMG_1993.JPG

Welcome to Electrify America | Mission

• Developing a high-speed, cross-country network consisting of 200+ stations (DC Fast Chargers)

When they say "stations" they presumably mean charging plazas or the equivalent of gas "stations" and not individual charging plugs.

The locations will presumably be centrally planned by VW but with input and suggestions from the public (see the website) and local, state, and federal officials. The Feds are coordinating national EV charging highway corridor routes that suggest initial coverage areas for EV charging.

Lucid won't have cars out in any volume until VW Group's Audi has their 200+ mile SUV for sale around 2018 with other VW cars to follow shortly afterwards. VW is now seriously talking about building their own battery factory. VW says they plan to build over a million plugin cars a year by something like 2025 including several long-distance capable BEVs. They have a strong self-interest in quickly standing up a Supercharger clone network using CCS and they have $200 million a year which they are mandated to spend on zero emission infrastructure stuff anyway whether they like it or not.

This is going to happen because it is manifestly in VW's own economic self-interest at this point to spend this mandated money on facilities that will help sell VW cars. I'm not sure why people keep saying that they don't how and when the CCS network in the US is going to be built. They are going to start building it within a few months after their initial 2.5 year plan is approved around April of next year.

In addition there will be other providers like EVgo filling in some routes through separate funding paths.

Last edited:
I was told the final charge port location hadn't been decided yet and that they were also looking at putting it in front somewhat like the old EV-1, LEAF and Soul EV etc. I'm not sure why the front driver-side location you probably saw on the prototype demo cars was so awful. Several cars like the Volt and the Ford Energi cars use that general location without any particular problem as far as I know.
That's not the location I was talking about. They keep pointing out the charge port in the middle of the grill. There is no worse place possible on the car except possibly the middle of the underbody (and even that's debatable!) Keep in mind that the front of the car gets covered in ice, slush, and snow for half the year, you rarely have any reason to be anywhere near it when approaching the vehicle, and if you care at all about safety, you back in to stalls anyway so it's now really inconvenient.

I'd accept the front fender (though it's still a worse place than the rear fender)

I get it guys, like every other EV you want to point out that it doesn't have a gas filler door on the rear quarter panel. Get over yourselves and put it wherever on the car it makes sense, not where you can brag it isn't a normal gas cap door.

The perfect location from a plug in convenience perspective would be the B pillar on the driver's side (you know the driver needs to be right there every time they enter and exit the vehicle anyway) Alternatively for DC fast charging where cord length is important the rear centre (behind the license plate maybe?) would be ideal. Tesla's compromise between the two of the rear quarter is actually pretty good, close enough to the driver's door (and due to hinges, more convenient than the front quarter) while still being near the rear for public charging infrastructure. The only way Tesla could have done better would have been with multiple ports.

For vehicles capable of towing, ports mounted near the front of the vehicle are preferable. @green1's points about inclement weather are understood, though.

Apologies for my continued fixation on towing. :)
I actually disagree. For people towing, the ideal port location is on the SIDE of the vehicle (how far back is irrelevant) A stall you have to nose in to, while towing, is a recipe for disaster, likely your trailer is hanging way out in to the aisle blocking anyone from driving past, it's probably a nightmare to manoeuvre in to position in the first place with the layout of most parking lots, and backing out will be hard too.

If you're designing any charging with towing in mind, you put the port on the side of the vehicle and design pull-through chargers.

I actually disagree. For people towing, the ideal port location is on the SIDE of the vehicle (how far back is irrelevant) A stall you have to nose in to, while towing, is a recipe for disaster, likely your trailer is hanging way out in to the aisle blocking anyone from driving past, it's probably a nightmare to manoeuvre in to position in the first place with the layout of most parking lots, and backing out will be hard too.

If you're designing any charging with towing in mind, you put the port on the side of the vehicle and design pull-through chargers.
That's more of a discussion about charger design. I am considering existing charging stations, and for those a mount nearer the front make more sense. I have a thread on the trailer-friendliness of Tesla Superchargers, and the existing pull-throughs work fine in a lot of cases. Back-ins require unhitching or blocking a good number of spots.

I recognize that parking lots aren't really set up to accommodate vehicles with trailers, so it may be a silly point.

View attachment 206379 Anyone reserve their Launch Edition of the Lucid Air?
I don't know if there were any reservations at the $25,500 level, but when I was at the reveal, only half way through the evening, I heard a Lucid employee mention to another Lucid employee, something around 30 or 40 reservations that evening already! Whether these were $25.5K or $2.5K I have no idea.

There is nothing stopping them from using a standard, and rolling out a network... There's no reason they couldn't catch up... They could have help from other interests which would allow...

Yeah, it's practically already up and running!

Cubs announcer Harry Caray had a nice saying: If if's and buts were candy and nuts then every day would be Christmas.

But seriously, it would take a lot of cash to duplicate the Tesla Supercharger network. If Lucid can't sell as many cars as Tesla, that's a tough row to hoe. Hundreds or thousands of high power chargers don't simply coalesce out of the ether of the universe. Even Elon couldn't pull that off!

RT

Yeah, it's practically already up and running!

Cubs announcer Harry Caray had a nice saying: If if's and buts were candy and nuts then every day would be Christmas.

But seriously, it would take a lot of cash to duplicate the Tesla Supercharger network. If Lucid can't sell as many cars as Tesla, that's a tough row to hoe. Hundreds or thousands of high power chargers don't simply coalesce out of the ether of the universe. Even Elon couldn't pull that off!

RT
Luckily, unlike Tesla who decided to go it alone, Lucid, due to using a standard, can cooperate with many others to build out a network even quicker.

You seem to think that Tesla has an easy go of it, and that it would be impossible for Lucid to do the same. Lucid has chosen an easier path than Tesla, so I don't see why you think they'll have a much harder time than Tesla did to do the same thing.

You seem to think that Tesla has an easy go of it, and that it would be impossible for Lucid to do the same. Lucid has chosen an easier path than Tesla, so I don't see why you think they'll have a much harder time than Tesla did to do the same thing.

At the time nobody was creating a charging structure for Tesla to participate in. And even now they have the CHAdeMO adapter, and I assume a CCS adapter will be coming. But even then most of the CCS stations that are out there are too slow for what Tesla wants. So again, pretty much nobody is doing what Tesla has done. Sure now there is some talk about it, but even so it seems like the most you will get is 1-4 plugs at each station. Again, just not enough for the volume that Tesla is planning to produce.

Reactions: ohmman and jgs