Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lose Celluar Connection Navigation (non supported country)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has a website and store in Hungary so what makes you think it will be unsupported?

You should be able to travel to any EU country and keep connectivity.

If you cross into a non-EU country then you will likely lose service. If your phone has hotspot and non-EU roaming you can connect your car to your hotspot.

I'm planning to drive my Tesla Model S with Premium Connectivity through a non supported country. And I wonder if the Navigation will still route to a supercharger if its needed and then follow the navigation?
The trick is to view the area you want to travel to in the navigation map before you lose cell coverage.

Here in rural New Mexico, USA I routinely travel in areas where the car has no cell coverage. The map and navigation work fine although I lose satellite view, voice commands, streaming, and so on. The navigation map is rather sparse (but that could be due to the area being remote). I don't know about having the car navigate to superchargers because we don't have any of those around here.

There was a thread here maybe six months ago about a person traveling from the US to a very rural area of Canada where there was no cell coverage for the car. Unfortunately they hadn't let the car know they were interested in going there so they had no map data for part of their trip.

There are also threads about this problem in the UK forum. In some areas it seems that the Tesla servers are overloaded (or something) so even with cell coverage people can't get data for their map.

Reactions: Testing1209
Tesla has a website and store in Hungary so what makes you think it will be unsupported?

You should be able to travel to any EU country and keep connectivity.

If you cross into a non-EU country then you will likely lose service. If your phone has hotspot and non-EU roaming you can connect your car to your hotspot.
If you search up Tesla Premium Connectivity there's a list on what countries you can use their connectivity and Hungary wasn't there.

You are misinterpreting that from the list. It states at which country you have to residue for eligibility for subscription. See photo. I have a car with Premium subscription in Estonia and it is not listed either. Just to clear, I purchased the car from Belgium and it was registered before the mentioned date described there, so eligible for Premium. You expect to have the same experience travelling through different EU couturiers as in US, each time you cross the border the car will make new connection to available cellular network. You can use the same functions on the map for searching available charging stations as in States. Although I have no knowledge how good is Tesla charger network in Hungay or nearby Czech Republic. We have non here.

A43E2FED-6394-46E5-9304-6BE4C2417310.jpeg

This may not be the right thread to ask the question, but if not, perhaps the moderator will move it to the correct one.

The USPS basically employs their carriers and pays them on a mileage basis, so the carriers can earn a decent living by making a profit between the cost of their vehicles operation and the amount the USPS pays them. I know of carriers who have had Teslas for several years and are enjoying their additional profit by using electric rather than ICE vehicles.

The Tesla display shows the environment including vehicles, pedestrians, trash cans and MAIL BOXES. I am curious whether there are carriers who have bothered to program in their whole route and have it saved so their Tesla will just follow their route, stopping at each mail box. It seems doable and might work very well to improve life for carriers. Particularly because mail boxes are always on the 'right' side, since in the US we drive on the right side of the road and the carriers each figure out a system for them to drive the car from the passenger's seat so they can reach out the passenger's window to reach the mail box.

I would really like to hear from any carriers who are using Teslas and if they have programmed their route successfully. If there aren't any or for some reason Tesla navigation with FSDb isn't up to the task, it certainly shouldn't take much for Tesla to make it work.

Thanks.