Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what will happend when standard internet connection expire on tesla y 2023?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i got my 2023 MYLR internet premium connection just expired and i have to renew it.

qestion was ....standard internet conection will be for next 8 years available when expire can you drive car .how to navigate to supercharger?

or we gonna use hot spot from cell phone to navigate but how battery will do preconditioning?

because not everybody willing to pay monthly for premium internet connection,wondering what gonna happend ,even if you try to sell you tesla could be small deal breaker for buyer.

what is your suggestions other than paying $200.00 per year for premium internet connectivity

what is your suggestions other than paying $200.00 per year for premium internet connectivity

Premium connectivity is $99 per year, not $200 per year ( at least in US dollars, no idea what dollars you are quoting here).

As for "what will happen", since standard connectivity is inlcuded for the life of the vehicle for every Tesla delivered before july of 2022, Tesla has until July of 2030 to figure out what they are going to charge for this. They have not said as of yet, and likely wont until not long before people have to start paying for it.

Expect not to know the answer to this question till Jan 2030 at the earliest, would be my suggestion.

=======================================

DetailsShow All
  • What vehicles will continue to receive Standard Connectivity at no cost?
    All new Tesla vehicles ordered on or before July 20, 2022, will have Standard Connectivity features at no cost for the lifetime of the vehicle
    (excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network). As additional features and services become available in the future, you will have the opportunity to upgrade your connectivity plan.

Reactions: OCR1 and E90alex
No one knows what will happen yet.

They could either
1) continue to provide free standard connectivity even after 8 years
2) provide standard connectivity for some fee amount that’s less than premium connectivity
3) shut off data completely unless people pay for premium connectivity. This would mean no more app access to use functions like preconditioning or controlling locks etc. Maps and navigation would not work unless you connect to a wifi hotspot.

Premium connection is essentially a data plan. Do you really think that Tesla gets data service free from AT&T. I don't know anywhere that data plans are free. It seems pretty cheap to avoid paying about $10 a month for unlimited data to allow full function of all features available on a 50-to-60-thousand-dollar car.

Reactions: howardnj
i got my 2023 MYLR internet premium connection just expired and i have to renew it.

qestion was ....standard internet conection will be for next 8 years available when expire can you drive car .how to navigate to supercharger?

or we gonna use hot spot from cell phone to navigate but how battery will do preconditioning?

because not everybody willing to pay monthly for premium internet connection,wondering what gonna happend ,even if you try to sell you tesla could be small deal breaker for buyer.

I don’t understand the 8 years question, but I think you bought the wrong car.

Not sure how many cars should have an internet connection, assume the list is growing.

I own a Q7 and X5. I never felt the need to add premium connectivity to those cars. However on my MY I decided to add it. For $99 a year it is really worth it. I could have used my cell phone hot spot. However carriers place a limit on the hot spot data even if you have unlimited data.

Reactions: Richh001
The premium connection provides:
- real time traffic in maps
- watch streaming while charging

should not loose navigation or charging ability. in US it is $100 per year if you pay it by the year or $10 per month if you go monthly.

I am not sure about the comments of 8 years. I have a 2021 and you only get premium connection for 1 year when it was purchased.

It's an interesting question requiring guesswork and crystal ball to answer.

I'd guess, however...

1. Even vehicles that have lifetime, that lifetime is only referring to the monthly cost! If something like LTE gets phased out (VERY UNLIKELY in 8 years), Tesla would offer a paid hardware upgrade. Probably pretty expensive, IMHO
2. For 2022+ vehicles, I expect 2 cases
2a. They require you pay for premium connectivity. No free/standard exists.
2b. If LTE is phased out (unlikely), it's the same as case 1 above -- they offer a (probably expesnive) hardware upgrade

This car is much more highly connected to the internet than others (gps routing I believe, gps sat backgrounds, pretty much everything with app like sentry mode viewing).

TL;DR, my best guess is that in 8 years you are simply REQUIRED to pay for premium.

thaank you all for your opinions and suggestions....
here what i got from tesla dealeship info

our new 2023 dec. ;model YLR comes with 8 years warranty for battery and drive unit .
on all 2023 ;models premium conectivity is complementary for 1 months only ......than after 1 month will be standard connectivitypremiumpremiu

i got some referals that i can redeem for premium llater on .

but what is interesting i was just wanted to see how this works. ....first i turned on my cell phone hot spot and tethering.
tesla accepted connection and i was able to run faster than with premium connectivity all music games youtube netflix etc etc

also did fast update because hot spot is wifi for tesla to take new firware update 2023.44.30.8 just couple hours ago
even gps map was much faster moving

now working to get google map on the3 screen with satellite viw sam like original because map will remain on screen while driving

so really you dont even need anymore premium connection just use your cell phone data

only thing you cant get is santury mode preview on you tesla app and streaming for music what tesla selected for you anyway those streaming songs you can only fast forward to next one but you cant repeat existing song or go back ......useless.

now without cell phone hot spot ...just using tesla standard connection you got navigation and radio and autopilot still works fine .
app is still connected to tesla and you can preheat car open close everything but watching cameras.

after 8 years when standard internet connection expired we can purchase new premium or use our cell phone data as hot spot to drive car listen music and update firware for tesla accordingly

i dont think that is worth to purchase premium connection at all.

but considering that mr musk gave us life time free premium connection on our model S we will consider buying it after 8 years on model y if still in driving condition..