Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2023 Tesla Model Y Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol! I miss those days of not worrying about dents/dings. Plus, they were easy to pop out and pretty cheap to fix. Broken headlight, I just replaced it myself and the unit was probably around $300. Starter goes out, fan belt needs replacing, I fixed it myself. Can’t do that anymore. Takes a freaking master tech with a PHD. 🤪 :D Noe, if Tesla could provide a front bumper camera, blind spot mirrors,360 view like on 30k cars, I’d be a happy camper. Holding off on my MX purchase until June or a hair later in hope they offer this with the HW.4 update.
HAHA! that 66' Dart had so much room under the hood you could pitch a tent on one side and set up a hammock on the other, you open a hood an new ICE car and wonder how that puzzle ever fit together so tightly with almost no room to spare, some new cars have to pull engines to change a starter, its crazy!

Reactions: GSP and GoVols!
The cars greenhouse before sensors was much more open and vehicles were more squared off allowing for better views without the need for sensors. The sight lines on newer vehicles are much more view restricted, hence the need for sensors.
I recently updated my TESLA software. It now has the TELSA Vision Park Assist (TVPA), which is a nice feature, but it is still not accurate to the inch. As I pulled into my mom’s driveway and came to a stop in front of her garage door, it showed that I was 30-in from her garage door. When I got out, I estimated that the actual distance was more like 50-in. Better to err on the safe side, I guess.

Has anyone else updated and begun using TVPA? What are your thoughts…???

HAHA! that 66' Dart had so much room under the hood you could pitch a tent on one side and set up a hammock on the other, you open a hood an new ICE car and wonder how that puzzle ever fit together so tightly with almost no room to spare, some new cars have to pull engines to change a starter, its crazy!
Well, they want it that way. They are helping their customer (the dealerships) make money on maintenance and repairs. We are consumers, not their customers.

I recently updated my TESLA software. It now has the TELSA Vision Park Assist (TVPA), which is a nice feature, but it is still not accurate to the inch. As I pulled into my mom’s driveway and came to a stop in front of her garage door, it showed that I was 30-in from her garage door. When I got out, I estimated that the actual distance was more like 50-in. Better to err on the safe side, I guess.

Yes mine has been active a few days, my biggest problem is not the distance as you said but that the thing is always loading and not just always there and available like uss is.

Reactions: THEbuz
F
Yes mine has been active a few days, my biggest problem is not the distance as you said but that the thing is always loading and not just always there and available like uss is.
Fair point. Mine is operational only half the time when I am backing out of my driveway. Sometimes, I think software can be too smart for its own good. Stupid solutions like USS are often the simplest. It’s just that they may not fit into Elon’s grander vision for FSD.

For example, I owned a SONY DVD player that I bought around 1999. Its operation was simple. You hit PLAY, it played. You hit OPEN, and the DVD tray opened. Then, I upgraded to a SAMSVNG BluRay player years later. It had way more bells and whistles, but it was sluggish and would stall in its operation. It would get hung up on commands and operations, etc.

F

Fair point. Mine is operational only half the time when I am backing out of my driveway. Sometimes, I think software can be too smart for its own good. Stupid solutions like USS are often the simplest. It’s just that they may not fit into Elon’s grander vision for FSD.

For example, I owned a SONY DVD player that I bought around 1999. Its operation was simple. You hit PLAY, it played. You hit OPEN, and the DVD tray opened. Then, I upgraded to a SAMSVNG BluRay player years later. It had way more bells and whistles, but it was sluggish and would stall in its operation. It would get hung up on commands and operations, etc.
The absolute worst is the wipers, today, sunshine 70 degrees wipers go off about 5 times, when its raining they are useless, always too fast or too slow!

Reactions: THEbuz

I installed the update. I’ve found the Tesla Vision inaccurate in most all circumstances and the “sensor lines” on the screen are squiggly. Basically, serves as a point of reference, not something to rely on, or you’ll have gacked up wheels & bodywork. Too bad. The 360 camera & other cameras on my wife’s 2021 Expedition are incredible. Can confidentially maneuver the beast in the tightest spaces w accurate views from all angles!

I installed the update. I’ve found the Tesla Vision inaccurate in most all circumstances and the “sensor lines” on the screen are squiggly. Basically, serves as a point of reference, not something to rely on, or you’ll have gacked up wheels & bodywork. Too bad. The 360 camera & other cameras on my wife’s 2021 Expedition are incredible. Can confidentially maneuver the beast in the tightest spaces w accurate views from all angles!
Agreed. Don’t know why curbs, walls, and garage doors are squiggly lines (being flat surfaces). TVPA showed on-screen that I was 32-in from my mom’s garage door when I pulled into her driveway. Getting out and eyeballing it, i was more like 50-in. Wish it was more accurate measurement and showed straight lines when viewing clearly flat surfaces. (I mean, iPhone can accurately measure objects using the phone's camera, so why can't TVPA do the same!???)

Welcome to the club!

Regarding blind spot chime, there is one that you can activate (I believe from the "Safety" menu), but it only sounds when you are about to run into a car in your blind spot. I have heard this warning sound twice since I took delivery of my MYP in 9/2021. Once in my own MYP and once in a M3P I rented. Both times I had a vehicle surprisingly move into my blind spot as I was about to change lanes and each time the warning sound came on and the car did a steering adjustment to get me out of harm's way.

As for something like the traditional blind spot warning light, Teslas don't have that, but I've gotten pretty used to the blind spot camera feed so when changing lanes I usually check the mirrors (I have them adjusted wide to cover my blind spots) then as I move into the lane I take a quick glance at the blind spot camera feed to see if anything has moved into the spot. Works well for me but I understand for some people it doesn't work.

Hopefully once you are accustomed the the car everything will work well for you. I suggest reading many posts on this site and learning as much about the Model Y as you can to prepare yourself for all situations. Enjoy!

Thinking of sticking this camera front bumper - will only help - as it’s not just 1 person driving the car. Will see how it goes

just for reference

Solar Wireless Backup Camera for Car (1080P), 3 Mins DIY Installation, Foxpark Solar 3 Back Up Camera Systems Wireless 5 inch Car Monitor, IP69K 2 Channels Reverse Camera for Car, Truck, Van, RV (S3) https://a.co/d/4gkVjZg

Dude, like every 30k car these days has these things. Just because you don't NEED them doesn't mean a car pretending to be high tech shouldn't have them.
You USS whiners need only watch videos of FSDb road testers on YouTube to see where it is headed and see that it is not necessary. There is a guy in SF with several zero-intervention videos where his Model Y drives all across SF w/o him touching the steering wheel or pedals. The car sees everything. USS is a relic, man. Get over it.

You USS whiners need only watch videos of FSDb road testers on YouTube to see where it is headed and see that it is not necessary. There is a guy in SF with several zero-intervention videos where his Model Y drives all across SF w/o him touching the steering wheel or pedals. The car sees everything. USS is a relic, man. Get over it.

So one zero intervention video is suppose to override the countless others I have seen where it hangs up and has no idea what to do. I've seen it completely miss poles and pipes when backing up. I've seen dimensions so far off it might as well be randomized numbers. Also identified a broom as a Semi truck. Yup sounds like the future indeed.

Here is an idea. Don't remove sensors and features until you have a working replacement...

What you’re leaving out, is the fact SF streets are well mapped out for Tesla as it’s a testing ground for Tesla autopilot. This is a well known fact when FSD is being used. Many more cases of FSD having issues. USS is more important for close distance parking. Even Lucid used USS, LiDAR and other tech. They took the correct approach of having more redundancy instead of taking away something without replacing it with something better. Seems like common sense to me. The Lucid USS is incredibly accurate by they way.

So one zero intervention video is suppose to override the countless others I have seen where it hangs up and has no idea what to do. I've seen it completely miss poles and pipes when backing up. I've seen dimensions so far off it might as well be randomized numbers. Also identified a broom as a Semi truck. Yup sounds like the future indeed.

Here is an idea. Don't remove sensors and features until you have a working replacement...
You whiners just don’t see the big picture.

What you’re leaving out, is the fact SF streets are well mapped out for Tesla as it’s a testing ground for Tesla autopilot. This is a well known fact when FSD is being used. Many more cases of FSD having issues. USS is more important for close distance parking. Even Lucid used USS, LiDAR and other tech. They took the correct approach of having more redundancy instead of taking away something without replacing it with something better. Seems like common sense to me. The Lucid USS is incredibly accurate by they way.
Well, Lucid’s “common sense” approach isn’t putting them on top, now is it???