Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living with the 16v LV battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure about his, but my 12V cooler does have a voltage display, yeah. I tried using a 12V extension cable in my Classic X with it and had just enough voltage drop for it to cut out occasionally.

Another advantage of the newer architecture.
We have a 12V cooler as well. I need to get it down from the Attic and see how well it works. The rear cig plug in the back still says 12V on our 2023 MX. I guess they didn't have any covers to say 16V yet?

We have a 12V cooler as well. I need to get it down from the Attic and see how well it works. The rear cig plug in the back still says 12V on our 2023 MX. I guess they didn't have any covers to say 16V yet?

Haha I'm guessing that's the case - someone ordered a trailerfull of 12V covers and nobody had a magic marker to change them ;-)

Ok, very weird. 2023 model X. The plug in volt meter is showing 13.9V.
Now I'm intrigued.

1695665120172.png

I Noticed today that the cover on the plug in the trunk area is labeled “12V” in my 2023 MY. I’ll have to check that with a meter.
I just checked my 2023 Y long range voltage from the trunk socket labeled 12 V. It was 15 and a fraction volts. My Owners Manual omits the voltage rating on pg 219! It only gives the battery capacity as 33 amp hr or higher. I’m needing this voltage spec to properly order a small refrigerator for road trip.

I just checked my 2023 Y long range voltage from the trunk socket labeled 12 V. It was 15 and a fraction volts. My Owners Manual omits the voltage rating on pg 219! It only gives the battery capacity as 33 amp hr or higher. I’m needing this voltage spec to properly order a small refrigerator for road trip.
It's commonly known as a 16VDC low voltage battery at this point. But it's a range, like all things electrically in cars. Some accessories may work, some things may not.

I found that a battery powered refrigerator is not needed. I purchased a Titan cooler at Costco that fits perfectly in my Frunk.
I fill an older refrigerator plastic ice cube container with 3 inches of water and freeze it into a block of ice. I take that block of ice, put into two plastic bags and tie them closed. Along with a couple of jell freezer packs everything stays cold for 24 hours. When stopping at a hotel for the night I put the partially melted ice and freezer packs into a larger plastic bag and ask the front desk person to place my bag in their freezer over night. This has worked out well for me for my frequent drives to Florida from New Jersey.

Attachments

• Tesla Frunk Cooler IMG_0639.JPG
    Tesla Frunk Cooler IMG_0639.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 51
All of those digital volt displays built into usb sockets, cig lighters, coolers and anything else that people are reading to state their voltage are pure junk, not even close to the true actual voltage, eye candy more than anything else. Really need a proper volt meter to measure with accuracy.

The pump I mentioned is this AVID POWER Tire Inflator. Its got a battery and a 12v plug for when the battery runs out. Any recommendations for something similar that is compatible with the 16v system?
I have this...cordless and works great because it has its own battery no worries about 16v Tesla LV battery. Much easier to use because you're not dealing with a cord.

Amazon.com

All of those digital volt displays built into usb sockets, cig lighters, coolers and anything else that people are reading to state their voltage are pure junk, not even close to the true actual voltage, eye candy more than anything else. Really need a proper volt meter to measure with accuracy.
I measured the voltage on my 2022 refreshed S with a volt meter today and it read 15.5. I think this is pretty typical from what I've read here.

I have this...cordless and works great because it has its own battery no worries about 16v Tesla LV battery. Much easier to use because you're not dealing with a cord.

Amazon.com
Don't fool yourself. Pumps with their own battery are often useless, because the battery runs empty. I know, I have one of those and no longer use it.

Had to buy one with a 12 V cigarette lighter cord that is capable of filling a tire completely.

Beware also the Chinese pumps that all look slightly different, but all contain the same garbage pressure sensor and electronics. They produce a different pressure each time you pump. I guess one really has to work hard to design such nonsense.

Reactions: Chewy13
Mine is the F40C4TMP 23-quart cooler that I bought from Amazon. I bought it last summer, and it’s been great through repeated shopping trips, boating, and 8,500 miles of road trips. It’s had zero issues with 15.2v, and you can leave it running indefinitely if you enable Sentry to prevent the car from going to sleep.
So I tried out my 12V cooler and it works great on our 2023 MX. The problem is unlike our 2018, power is cut when the vehicle is closed. I even used sentry mode thinking that it will keep power on the rear plug with no luck. Options anyone?

This includes the front cig lighter too. When we make stops away from the house, the radar detector that I have plugged in the front under the cup holders powers off as well, for anytime we come back, the detector turns back on as if power has been cut. This is with sentry on too.