Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair Assistance: 2021 Model S Plaid (Refresh) No Power At All

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mizuki

Jul 14, 2023
Iowa
Hello, I'm trying to get some answers or help with this vehicle, as well as maybe get a few questions answered that are related. This vehicle was bought at auction as a salvage flood vehicle. The water line is very low, I'm fairly sure the water didn't actually enter the cabin of the vehicle as I'm not seeing any water damage. This car came with the little black car shaped key fob.

The vehicle in question does not power up whatsoever. I bought it this way at a bargain, and am trying to diagnose it, but I'm finding that my traditional mechanic training isn't helping out with this at all!

Now, to start my own diagnosis, I checked the voltage on the LV battery, which had less than one volt at the connection point. Easy enough, replace the battery with a new one. Installed the new battery, still no power. Checking the voltage that goes to the battery controller (as far as I can tell from the wiring diagram, the LV battery goes through the battery controller first), and the voltage is around 14.6. I backprobed a few connectors on the battery controller and was getting various voltages, but nothing above 3V.

After doing some research on these forums and the internet at large (service manual was no help), I discovered that there is a possibility that I need to jump the car. So, I attempted that with various means, from using another traditional battery, to hooking up a running ICE vehicle, to a battery charger (12V charger at 12amps). Don't worry, I unhooked the LV battery before doing any of that! I'm also aware that the car doesn't really use traditional fuses as well, but that fact has only baffled me further as I don't exactly have a good test point for circuits.

But none of this seemed to help, I get nothing from the car, no lights or anything. So any guidance on what to do next to diagnose this would be appreciated.

And now for my related questions:

Does the HV system have anything to do with powering on the LV system? Does this car only have one pyro fuse? Does this fuse (or any other fuse) have anything to do with the LV system? Would the MCU in the passenger footwell have anything to do with this issue?

Thank you in advance for your time and help. I'll answer any question I can on the car if you need further information to help me diagnose this.

Wow, I admire your bravery to buy such a car in its state. I hope it was a super-deal.

From my understanding, the biggest concern would be to diagnose the current state of the HV battery. Do you know how long ago the car was in a flood and how long it sat thereafter? If the HV battery has sat too long at a very low state-of-charge or no-charge, then the HV battery may have suffered irreversible damage and could be bricked entirely.

Good luck though, I'm sure plenty of people here will chime in with amazing expertise in what you're trying to do.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Wow, I admire your bravery to buy such a car in its state. I hope it was a super-deal.

From my understanding, the biggest concern would be to diagnose the current state of the HV battery. Do you know how long ago the car was in a flood and how long it sat thereafter? If the HV battery has sat too long at a very low state-of-charge or no-charge, then the HV battery may have suffered irreversible damage and could be bricked entirely.

Good luck though, I'm sure plenty of people here will chime in with amazing expertise in what you're trying to do.
As far as I know, the car sat on the auction lot for about a year and a half before I got it. I'm not sure if it was damaged because of the flood, or because the auction lot zip-tied the keyfob INSIDE the car and made it run the battery flat from not being able to shut down.

Also, as to the LV battery, the new/Palladium MS's (and MX's) all have the Li battery. If it's too low on charge (which yours likely is/was) it will shut down and create all sorts of issues. Details here:

More useful info for your specific situation:

And, NOT sure how accurate this one is: