Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any tire inflators compatible with new 16v Li-Ion battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just get a portable Milwaukee or Makita inflator. My Makita https://a.co/d/fgwS2Sb lives in my trunk.
Nothing against these brands of inflators, but you guys must live where there are lots of nails, glass, metals shards, etc., on the road. I've driven maybe 250,000 miles on four Teslas and can't remember getting a flat ever. I do have a plug kit in my trunk, but I've never used it, and I don't have an inflator, as the last tire puncture was a slow leak and I waited until I got home to even think about it. When I worked in construction where there were lots of nails around, I still never used an inflator. Usually, slow leaks can be repaired on the car, which can then be driven to a gas station.

Nothing against these brands of inflators, but you guys must live where there are lots of nails, glass, metals shards, etc., on the road. I've driven maybe 250,000 miles on four Teslas and can't remember getting a flat ever. I do have a plug kit in my trunk, but I've never used it, and I don't have an inflator, as the last tire puncture was a slow leak and I waited until I got home to even think about it. When I worked in construction where there were lots of nails around, I still never used an inflator. Usually, slow leaks can be repaired on the car, which can then be driven to a gas station.
Yea I get ya.. I work in construction too and have had the obligatory slow leak nail (damn roofers).. this inflator is more for the general maintenance of the tire. It’s a godsend and eliminates needing to run to the gas station (in a Tesla 🙈) and rely on their air service.

Be cautious with using fix-a-flat sealants though.. those things destroy the TMPS sensor..

Overall having the inflator in the car is a good idea. Having the ability top off a tire whenever necessary is nice - plus, this thing comes in handy whenever I need to inflate a ball for the kiddos or a raft etc…

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Just pointing the differences.
I like Makita products but when everyone stops automatically and you do not have to hold the trigger, Makita chose for you to be more interactive ;)
When it is 30 degrees outside and windy and you have to pump all 4 tires from 36 psi to 42, I would prefer not to hold Makita trigger kneeling next to MY.
Lol I get your point.. Makita requires me to hold the trigger on the blower as well.. god I wish they had a lock/automatic hold system.

My problem is that I have already been a part of the Makita ecosystem for a while.. so that means I have a dozen or so Makita batteries, which means when it’s time for a new tool, I tend to go with the brand of which I have the most batteries….

In my trade (Electrician), almost everyone has Milwaukee, so it’s nice that my gear stays safe (nobody “borrowing my batteries) and is incompatible with the rest. It’s weird.

I would like to carry a tire inflator for emergency purposes. Most portable inflators that run off the 12v outlet only specify 12v 15a. The new low voltage battery in the MY is 16v, and I would hate to blow a fuse on one of these inflators when I need it most.

Does anyone have a portable unit that they have used consistently with the new battery without issue? I’m struggling to find one.

I bought and used this with good success for the past several months with my 2022 MYP (Li-Ion battery): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C24Y1LF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

This item kept on blowing out my rear power plug and had to be returned: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0874G965F?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
It's a good thing that tesla cigarette adapter fuses reset themself after sometimes.

• Informative
Reactions: zpaul and Bikeman
  • Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
In the MY with 16V battery, aren't the circuits for the center console and trunk outlets stepped down to 12V anyway?

Really liking this DEWALT someone posted earlier. Mainly cause it has "3 power source options"

Last edited:
Reactions: cleverscreenam
In the MY with 16V battery, aren't the circuits for the center console and trunk outlets stepped down to 12V anyway?

Really liking this DEWALT someone posted earlier. Mainly cause it has "3 power source options"
No. The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual states that in the current Tesla Model Y vehicle with the 15.5V lithium starting battery module, the low voltage system and the low voltage accessory ports (formerly known as the 12V accessory ports) are rated for 16V. The voltages of the USB A, C ports are regulated separately.

No, there is no voltage regulator for the 12V ports. Instead they are parallel to the battery, so the ports can output 15V-16V. That's why the manual has the warning.

"For vehicles manufactured after approximately November 2021, power inverters plugged into the low voltage power socket must support 16V DC input to function."

Reactions: Iron
I have the Tesla tire repair kit and a cheap generic tire plug kit in the car always. As others say I'd use the compressor but avoid the slime unless it was an emergency to get going. The slime probably ruins the TPMS sensor, tire, and makes a mess of the wheel.

Sometimes I have a jack and even more rarely a spare but those are much less critical. Many punctures can be plugged without jacking the car, just move a little forward or back until it's accessible.

I sometimes have a Ryobi 18v tire inflator as it's simpler to use but it needs a charged battery so it's only in the vehicle some of the time.

I also have a EV charger, adapters, and Tesla extension as I feel it may be more likely I have an issue charging than I get a flat.

Lol. The math is still wrong. But peace since were both a little wrong. Lets both ignore the theoretical.

My empirical says that my cig lighter inflator works fine. So you can take that to the bank.
I have always checked and inflated my ICE car tyres and carried the cigar lighter type inflator with me.
Back then, to celebrate my new Model Y (06/22) I bought a new pump before realising that the Lithium low voltage was 16 volts. The pump worked for about one second.
I have been unable to find an off the shelf 16V replacement to run off the cars lighter socket.
OP, ( or anyone) have you found a solution that does not require DIY electronics?