Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living with the 16v LV battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am happy that Tesla started using Lithium-ion low voltage batteries because it will last so much longer. Living with the fact that its 16v is.... interesting. Not everything works with this 16v battery. I have a 12v tire inflator that does not work in our 2023 MY. It works just fine in our 2021 MY which has a lead-acid battery.

I like keeping a small jump starter in the frunk, in the event I get into a situation where the HV battery is completely dead and I need to power up the LV battery to open doors and get the car into tow mode. In our 2021 MY I have a NOCO Boost X GBX45 but I think its probably not the right thing considering you don't need to crank a starter. You don't need a whole lot of amps at once, just need a steady supply of watts. What do you think is a good LV backup battery to have? Maybe something like this 4 ah LifePO4 is the way to go? I am thinking it should provide the right power to the LV systems.

The pump I mentioned is this AVID POWER Tire Inflator. Its got a battery and a 12v plug for when the battery runs out. Any recommendations for something similar that is compatible with the 16v system?

PS. If you have not seen the weber tesla 16 battery video on YouTube, check it out, there is some great info there, including the notion that your 12v accessories need to be compatible with the 16v system.

I’ve never had a problem with 12v accessories working on mine. I have an electric cooler that displays voltage, and I usually see 15.1v when the compressor isn’t running. It drops to 14.7 when it’s running, and it’s always worked just fine.

I can’t find the specific product, but my direct-drive air compressor also works fine. What happens when you try to use yours?

If the battery is dead, can you get into the frunk in the first place (without another starter / battery / electrical source)?

I attached a small battery on the inside of the jump wire cover on the bumper and just leave it there permanently. If the 16v is dead, I can remove the cover, connect the battery to the cables to open the frunk.

1690192761512.png

Last edited:
I can’t find the specific product, but my direct-drive air compressor also works fine. What happens when you try to use yours?

When I connect the inflator to the "cigarette" outlet in the car, it turns on fine, but stops as soon as I try to inflate a tire. Essentially when the it tries to draw more current. This happens on the outlet in the center console and the trunk. Yet when I connect it to a 2021 MY with a lead acid LV battery, it works just fine.

I am glad your accessories work. Maybe its just a quirk with this particular inflator and I need to try another one.

Reactions: everydaychris
When I connect the inflator to the "cigarette" outlet in the car, it turns on fine, but stops as soon as I try to inflate a tire. Essentially when the it tries to draw more current. This happens on the outlet in the center console and the trunk. Yet when I connect it to a 2021 MY with a lead acid LV battery, it works just fine.

I am glad your accessories work. Maybe its just a quirk with this particular inflator and I need to try another one.
I use this one on my 2022 Y

It works fine!

Reactions: TheTinRam
Can anyone confirm that the trailer hitch wiring harness is functional on a 2023 Y? I've read conflicting reports that it is not powered properly? I have a bike rack that has LED lighting that I am hoping will work.
I dont have experience with this exact thing. But I’m guessing it won’t.
I got a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter, then a 4 pin LED tester, and none of the LEDs light up. I’m assuming because it’s looking for a 12-14VDC source.

I thought I remember reading in those posts, that some LED trailer lights would in fact work, but it was trailer brakes that may not. I could be wrong.

As a tire inflator, a manual bike pump works flawlessly.

... unlike my Slime 12V tire inflator which often blows its internal fuse or trips the car's electronic circuit breaker (2020 Model 3 LR with a lead acid LV battery).

... or get a Milwaukee tire inflator with its own rechargeable battery.

Reactions: PianoAl