Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to be averaging around ~370 for most of my driving now that the weather is nicer in Portland, OR. I was around ~430 in the winter.

Some seems to have much lower numbers...So the average speed may have an impact too.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know how to see the lifetime stats on the energy consumption? If the trips are reset then you loose the lifetime stats...
john

It will be nice to have it somewhere... so far I didn't reset trip A and would like to be able to block the reset button for it.

I have a daily 30 mile commute in traffic on the freeway. Average speed about 40 mph. I try to keep my foot out of it, but when I give rides, oh well.

2013-05-01 10.51.57_S.jpg

Ever wondered how to use the kw/mi rating? Well here are few numbers you can commit to memory as reference.

Assuming 85kw pack.
Range is from a fully charged pack "max range" charging.

Ideal:
283kw/mi = 300 miles

Rated:
321kw/mi = 265 miles (epa rated)

Some other reference points:
250kw/mi = 340 miles
300kw/mi = 283 miles
350kw/mi = 243 miles
400kw/mi = 213 miles
450kw/mi = 189 miles
500kw/mi = 155 miles
550kw/mi = 142 miles
600kw/mi = 131 miles

here's the openly editable google doc: Welcome to Google Docs

- - - Updated - - -

i-WgLtdwk-Th.jpg

If I keep that up I'll get a good 22 miles out of a full charge :)

Awesome Jerry! I knew you'd figure this out in short order. Your record on the Prius was most impressive.

Obviously speed an temp are huge factors. I'm starting to think that the 19in wheels have a relatively large impact also. Maybe 20-30 Wh/mi average? IS this possible?

Also, what impact does the 60 vs. 85 have? Factoring out my drive home from Columbus, and numerous spirited test ride/demos I'm realistically at around 290-300 average with the P85 and the 21 inch wheels. I can't imagine 250-260 over 2300 miles.

Thoughts?

I'm starting to think that the 19in wheels have a relatively large impact also. Maybe 20-30 Wh/mi average? IS this possible? Thoughts?

Yup. Basic physics. Wider tires = more physical contact with road = more friction = lower range. There's a reason why prius' dont drive around with 19-21" wheels, lol. However for the Model S, I believe the problem with anything less than 19" wheels is that the rims simply wouldn't be able to handle the weight of the vehicle and rims would be crushed. I actually can't wait to rip through these crappy Goodyear's and put on some Michelin Primacy MXM4 Low Rolling Resistance tires and really curious how much range will be extended and Wh/mile go down. Treads will last much longer and tires will handle rainy weather better too. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4&partnum=445WR9MXM4P&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2013&autoModel=Model%20S&autoModClar=

Awesome Jerry! I knew you'd figure this out in short order. Your record on the Prius was most impressive.

Note that there is only about 100 miles of highway driving. Also it should get better once I get it aligned. Right now there is terrible toe-in on the front and one of the backs is toed-out (not as badly as the front is toed in). Why every car isn't aligned at the service centre before delivery is a mystery to me. I can understand why the factory only does "close enough that you can't see it from my house" because the alignment can get knocked out during transport. But delivering an expensive car with poor alignment from a service centre isn't even remotely good.

Obviously speed an temp are huge factors. I'm starting to think that the 19in wheels have a relatively large impact also. Maybe 20-30 Wh/mi average? IS this possible?

Maybe even more. The width of the tread (remember those belts have to bend every time they enter and leave the contact patch area) is a big part of it (along with the other 100 things that change the rolling resistance value of a tire). Temperature is important, but you can mitigate most of that by your charging methodology.

Also, what impact does the 60 vs. 85 have? Factoring out my drive home from Columbus, and numerous spirited test ride/demos I'm realistically at around 290-300 average with the P85 and the 21 inch wheels. I can't imagine 250-260 over 2300 miles.

Thoughts?

Well, I've given quite a few spirited test drives. But I doubt that 60 vs. 85 makes all that much of a difference--unless you floor it every time, then the 60 would always do better in Wh/mile :) Having a consistent commuting route where you can learn the terrain so that effective driving becomes automatic is an important factor. I've also found that the Model S wants to go way slower than the Prius, so it's pretty easy to not speed. I actually have to remind myself to speed up in the Model S.

Also road surface makes a difference, so where you live and the roads you drive on are as important as the tires and driving habits.

When it's cool out, having the charging stop just before you drive and having the cabin pre-warmed make a difference too. I've found a/c use doesn't make a great deal of difference although you need to set the fan speed higher than the automatic setting to keep cool.

Jerry's the man. On my best days, when I'm in the mood for hypermiling and am accelerating and regen-ing just right, I still haven't been able to better 270 Wh/mile or so on my commute route (that does include a bridge with a significant hump).

Overall, at just shy of 6,000 miles, I'm at 319 Wh/mile with my 60.

Ever wondered how to use the kw/mi rating? Well here are few numbers you can commit to memory as reference...

Those mirror my original assumptions, but they don't match the car's own projections for rated and ideal - because there's a reserve below "zero" that is still part of the 85kWh total. I believe the actual consumption that matches rated range is closer to 306Wh/mi, and the rest of the numbers scale accordingly. My current lifetime average of 317 therefore a little less than the EPA rated range.

Last edited:
Those mirror my original assumptions, but they don't match the car's own projections for rated and ideal - because there's a reserve below "zero" that is still part of the 85kWh total. I believe the actual consumption that matches rated range is closer to 306Wh/mi, and the rest of the numbers scale accordingly. My current lifetime average of 317 therefore a little less than the EPA rated range.
317 is impressive given your daily route 17 hill climb. I guess the speeds are low though.
I think jerry's commute is downhill both ways.