Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trip meter is misleading the actual Wh/mi efficiency the car drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 MX 75D, which I've owned since September 2018.
I am living in CA where the temperature never drops below freezing.

In the trip meter, the average energy efficiency for Trip A and Trip B is 361 Wh/mi and 353 Wh/mi, respectively.
Based on these numbers, the expected maximum miles calculated from Tesla's 75,000Wh battery capacity would be 75,000Wh/353 = 212 miles.

However, this is quite different from my actual driving experience.
Between August 2022 and July 2023, I drove the car 16,551 miles (from 33,840 miles to 50,391 miles) and used 8,027 kWh of charge. This translates to an average of 485Wh/mile, which equates to a maximum of 155 miles on a full charge – a number that closely matches my real-world driving experience.

The discrepancy is quite significant, as 155 miles is 27% less than the 212 miles calculated earlier, and 35% less than the 237 miles Tesla advertised.
I have signed up this class action site

IMG_4892.jpg
IMG_4893.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Erm... A class action for range has little to do with the trip meter. Further, any "75" model has long since had expected battery degredation which is comparable to the way an ICE of that age and mileage would have efficiency degradation. Finally, while you do accurately detect more power consumed in charging than drawn on trips, you aren't calculating for efficiency losses in charging or considering when the TRIP meter should consider draw. The fact of the matter is that power is drawn outside of trips, and this arguably should NOT be included in the TRIP meter. While one could argue that idling an ICE would lead to a lower average economy in those meters, they aren't trip meters, and the savings calculator may well include that considering that it is on the charging page. Meanwhile, when an ICE runs accessories without the engine running, the alternator still has to charge the battery afterwards to make up for that draw, and that energy comes from the fuel as well, which would make the savings screen accurate as well. That having been said, I'm sure Tesla will settle even if they aren't in the wrong at all, but that free money isn't free, it's more like credit card rewards. Everyone has to participate to reduce the haircut they take, but everyone is still taking a haircut vs making money.

ETA: Also, after fixing your broken link in order to see the page, there isn't a class action to join YET, and there may well not be one at all, because those complaints sound exactly like Tesla consumer drama and media hype. I mean, reading between the lines "they cancelled my range investigation service center appointment (because remote diagnostics showed my battery and motor were performing as expected)" and "my car doesn't go as many miles as Tesla said it would (when I drive 80MPH even though Tesla advertised the EPA rated range)" aren't very solid arguments for actually getting a class action suit formed.