Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook iON EVO All season tires with controlled efficiency testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO All Season tires on my 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance with T Sportline TS5 18x8.5 wheels last week.

I have done a very controlled efficiency test with the tires below. The test is a 25 mile loop around our beltway that starts and stops at the same place. I record GPS time, distance, and average speed so that the test is consistent no matter what wheels and tires I have on the car.

Wheels and tires tested:

1. 20x9.0 Uberturbine wheels with factory 235/35/20 Pirelli PZ4 Tesla specific tires.

IMG_4295.jpeg

2. 18x8.5 T Sportline TS5 wheels with non Tesla specific 235/45/18 Michelin PS4S tires.

IMG_4297.jpeg

3. 18x8.5 T Sportline TS5 wheels with non Tesla specific 245/40/18(undersized diameter) Pirelli PZ4 tires.

IMG_4302.jpeg

4. 18x8.5 T Sportline TS5 wheels with brand new(<100 mile) 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO All Season tires.

IMG_4303.jpeg

The 245/40/18 Pirelli PZ4 tires were about 1/3” undersized on the tire outer diameter so the wh/mi reading is optimistic for that tire. The car thinks it went about 3-4% further than it actually did. 220 wh/mi is a more realistic number for that tire instead of the 212 wh/mi that the trip computer said.

As you can see the Hankook tires are about 18% more efficient than the original Uberturbine wheels and PZ4 tires.

The Hankook tires were about 8%-10% more efficient than either of the 18” summer tires even though they were all on the same wheels.

I am thoroughly convinced that the efficiency claims of these new Hankook iON EVO tires are accurate. They are incredibly efficient.

These Hankook tires have a 50k mile guarantee and they have a 600 Treadwear rating on the tires.

IMG_4050.jpeg

I pumped the tires up to 42 psi as recommended and I noticed that the tire pressure didn’t change that much from that value even after extensive driving. In fact it even went down slightly in the rear tires after a drive. That is really good that it maintains a consistent pressure throughout the drive. All of the other tires would get up to as much as 46 psi after a similar drive.

IMG_4268.jpeg
IMG_4291.jpeg

I did a 220+ mile drive each way this weekend with the new Hankook tires. Going out there was a torrential rain storm for about 165 miles. This wasn’t normal rain. It was more like flooding on the interstate. I could feel the standing water causing drag on the car.

I averaged 280 wh/mi going out until I stopped to charge. However, it stopped raining and cleared up while I was charging. I averaged 226 wh/mi for the next 55 miles but that was at a slower speed going up the mountain.

Standing water on the road absolutely destroys your efficiency no matter what wheels and tires you have on the car.

Coming back home I averaged 207 wh/mi in my 2022 Model 3 Performance for 220+ miles. I had the A/C on 66 degrees F the whole time and I averaged 61.2 mph according to the GPS app.

I also was able to do 142 wh/mi for my 12 mile highway commute into work. That is at a much slower speed(~51 mph average) because of construction.

I haven’t been able to measure a difference in noise with my SPL meter. The Hankooks and the 245/40/18 Pirelli tires were measuring the same DB value. They definitely aren’t any louder but I really couldn’t tell the difference in sound. They both sound quiet to me.

I paid $1077 for the tires installed at discount tire. They price matched some random online retailer for $224 per tire.

Attachments

• IMG_4301.jpeg
    IMG_4301.jpeg
    995.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_4300.jpeg
    IMG_4300.jpeg
    571 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4299.jpeg
    IMG_4299.jpeg
    841 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I finally got down to 260 wh/mi lifetime(25k+ miles) with my 2022 Model 3 Performance and these Hankook iON EVO AS tires.

Before these tires my lifetime average barely ever changed. It was at 264 wh/mi when I got the tires last year and it has been dropping ever since.

I can comfortably maintain 237 wh/mi or less as an average with these tires in all types of driving.

I don’t know what Hankook has done but these 235/45/18 iON EVO AS tires are ridiculously efficient.

I test drove a Highland 2024 Model 3 RWD on Monday that had the 18” wheels and 235/45/18 tires. However, the US tires are the Hankook Ventus S1 AS tires. I don’t believe those are an extremely efficient tire.

I couldn’t do controlled testing with the Demo car but it had done 226 wh/mi for 319 miles. My Model 3 Performance has done 221 wh/mi for the past 436 miles. It isn’t an apples to apples comparison but I don’t believe the US Highland cars would be significantly more efficient than my Model 3 Performance if they are tested in a controlled manner.

IMG_2043.jpeg

IMG_2155.jpeg

IMG_1958.jpeg

IMG_1957.jpeg

Reactions: Dave EV
I finally got down to 260 wh/mi lifetime(25k+ miles) with my 2022 Model 3 Performance and these Hankook iON EVO AS tires.

Before these tires my lifetime average barely ever changed. It was at 264 wh/mi when I got the tires last year and it has been dropping ever since.

I can comfortably maintain 237 wh/mi or less as an average with these tires in all types of driving.

I don’t know what Hankook has done but these 235/45/18 iON EVO AS tires are ridiculously efficient.

I test drove a Highland 2024 Model 3 RWD on Monday that had the 18” wheels and 235/45/18 tires. However, the US tires are the Hankook Ventus S1 AS tires. I don’t believe those are an extremely efficient tire.

I couldn’t do controlled testing with the Demo car but it had done 226 wh/mi for 319 miles. My Model 3 Performance has done 221 wh/mi for the past 436 miles. It isn’t an apples to apples comparison but I don’t believe the US Highland cars would be significantly more efficient than my Model 3 Performance if they are tested in a controlled manner.

View attachment 1016471
View attachment 1016470
View attachment 1016472
View attachment 1016477
I’m planning to get the 20 inch ones for my next tires, I wonder if there will be a big difference between the 18 inch and 20 inch hankooks

If I could get 240wh average with the 20 inch id be fine with that

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I’m planning to get the 20 inch ones for my next tires, I wonder if there will be a big difference between the 18 inch and 20 inch hankooks

You have to also consider speed in the equation. The highest speed limit in North Carolina is 70 mph and our cops don't mess around here. My work commute is almost entirely through a construction zone so the speed limit there is 55 mph. My average speed is typically 60 mph. If you live in states that allow much higher speeds then that will affect your efficiency more than anything else.

You have to also consider speed in the equation. The highest speed limit in North Carolina is 70 mph and our cops don't mess around here. My work commute is almost entirely through a construction zone so the speed limit there is 55 mph. My average speed is typically 60 mph. If you live in states that allow much higher speeds then that will affect your efficiency more than anything else.
Have you tried 70 mph anywhere before with those hankooks? What’s your WH at 70 mph

Have you tried 70 mph anywhere before with those hankooks? What’s your WH at 70 mph
I haven’t tried averaging 70 mph because I would get a ticket if I did that on my test loop. 65.5 mph average was the most I could push it too.

However, you can see that while I had a 65.5 mph average speed I hit 74.4 mph as my top speed and I still managed a 219 wh/mi average over a 25 mile controlled loop test.

IMG_2160.png
IMG_2159.jpeg

Reactions: kpanda17
I haven’t tried averaging 70 mph because I would get a ticket if I did that on my test loop. 65.5 mph average was the most I could push it too.

However, you can see that while I had a 65.5 mph average speed I hit 74.4 mph as my top speed and I still managed a 219 wh/mi average over a 25 mile controlled loop test.

View attachment 1016524View attachment 1016525
That’s great maybe I could get around 240wh with the 20 inch ones then

That’s great maybe I could get around 240wh with the 20 inch ones then
This was my last trip computer reading before I switched to 18” wheels. 268 wh/mi was my average back then with the UberHeavies. However, when I was going to the track every weekend my average was 290 wh/mi.

Pretty crazy that I am down around 220 wh/mi typically now with the same car. That is a 25% improvement from when I first got it.

IMG_2177.jpeg

IMG_2163.jpeg

Not sure what the 20" Hankook tires would do. There are too many variables to account for. I was getting 247 wh/mi on the same test loop with the 20" UberHeavy wheels, the stock Pirelli PZ4 tires, and a 59.9 mph average speed. 6% off of that would be 232 wh/mi at 60 mph average.

View attachment 1016533View attachment 1016534
I thought the 20 inch wheels were a lot less efficient, that sounds like there isn’t a huge difference between the 18 and 20’s

If I can get 232wh with the 20 inch hankooks and your getting 220 on the 18s

• Funny
I thought the 20 inch wheels were a lot less efficient, that sounds like there isn’t a huge difference between the 18 and 20’s
I got 202 wh/mi doing the same test with these Hankook iON EVO AS tires. That is a gigantic difference. That is about 18% better than the UberHeavies at 247 wh/mi. This was controlled testing so these numbers you can use to compare.

IMG_2178.jpeg
IMG_2179.png

Reactions: DrChaos
I got 202 wh/mi doing the same test with these Hankook iON EVO AS tires. That is a gigantic difference. That is about 18% better.
Oh ok I thought you said you averaged around 220wh now then you calculated that I might be able to get 232wh with the 20 inch hankooks

So I was seeing 220wh with the 18 inch hankooks and 232wh with the 20 inch hankooks, that didnt seem like a huge difference between the 18 and 20 inch

Oh ok I thought you said you averaged around 220wh now then you calculated that I might be able to get 232wh with the 20 inch hankooks

So I was seeing 220wh with the 18 inch hankooks and 232wh with the 20 inch hankooks, that didnt seem like a huge difference between the 18 and 20 inch
I was typically seeing about 270 wh/mi in normal driving with the UberHeavies. I typically see about 220 wh/mi in the same driving with the 18” Hankook tires.

Are you planning to get them in the next few months? I'm planning to get the Ions, but undecided if I'll go down to 18s or not. Hoping someone on here getting the 20 inch can post their results before I decide.

Are you planning to get them in the next few months? I'm planning to get the Ions, but undecided if I'll go down to 18s or not. Hoping someone on here getting the 20 inch can post their results before I decide.
The car I got still has new Michelin summer tires so I’m guessing those are going to last 20k - 30k miles before I need new ones