Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just saying hello! New 60 on order. Late Jun 2014 delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take a look at my signature below. I didn't think I'd ever possibly need supercharging, then the day before the one 135 miles from me opened, I NEEDED it, and was on the phone. Minutes, and $2500, later and I had it. Just sayin!

What changed your mind on this? This is actually one thing I am considering adding in before it goes to production (if I can). I am more likely to use local charging stations in my area (Seattle) than SuperChargers and I've been told there is alot of L2 chargers with 80AMP service around here. At home I don't think it would matter, I can easily charge overnight, but for in-town road tripping, I actually thought if the network of high capacity chargers is dense enough this would be a great option to add for only 1500 bucks.
I originally selected it for the peace of mind in case I ever needed it and because the post-delivery price is so much higher. I have a round trip commute just under 50 miles and am not a big fan of travelling, so I don't know what kind of scenario I would end up in where I would need the dual chargers, plus there is sort of a lack of AC charging stations over 40A. Worst case, I'll be stuck charging twice as long, but I won't be stuck waiting for a tow or anything. There is also a Level 3 DC charger within a mile of my work and some others scattered around some 30 miles apart, which would use the Supercharger capability rather than the built-in chargers. All that considered, the peer pressure made me change my mind on the dual chargers.

i think i may be one of the very few owners without supercharging. we just thought for $500 difference to enable it later, we will just see how it goes. what is all of your opinion on the $2000/$2500 pricing? do you think it's going to up every year?
I also decided not to enable Supercharging with my order. I want to pay off my loan ASAP and don't intend to make any trips until then, so I'm willing to take the $500 hit (or more like $300 once interest savings are factored in) to enable it later when I'm ready to use it.

I also decided not to enable Supercharging with my order. I want to pay off my loan ASAP and don't intend to make any trips until then, so I'm willing to take the $500 hit (or more like $300 once interest savings are factored in) to enable it later when I'm ready to use it.

good point w/ the interest. makes me feel better about it. i just honestly don't know if we will use it. plus people telling stories about having to wait 30-45 min just to get hooked up to one at some of the busy superchargers worries me, especially with the MX and ME coming ...

i see you got your VIN! congrats!!! we confirmed on 4/22 also but order placed 4/21. can't wait to get ours!

just to add some data. my roundtrip to work and back is 35 miles. Didn't really drive anywhere with the ICE, but I got the Supercharger enabled (at the time, it was now or never kinda deal before they later said all cars have the equipment) for resale purposes (didn't know if I was gonna keep the car). Now I've come to the realization that I drive the MS more often (currently driving 50% more than my ICE) and hit 18.5K miles in 1 year (normally just 12K). I even took a road trip to Napa (normally would just fly to SF) and used the Superchargers up the 5 and down the 101. I usually drive like a maniac, but driving the MS (though slower) was enjoyable and relaxing.

...I even took a road trip to Napa (normally would just fly to SF) and used the Superchargers up the 5 and down the 101. I usually drive like a maniac, but driving the MS (though slower) was enjoyable and relaxing.

I took a road trip the other way to Anaheim and then Palm Springs. And, a couple of trips to Lake Tahoe this winter.

I did drive like a maniac up and down I-5, I-10 and I-80 in my 60 to get to the next Supercharger with a very low state-of-charge in an effort to maximize the charge rate ;)

@wamochi, you've chosen wisely with the 60. There are folks on here who go bonkers about up-selling newbies to 85/P85/P85+; then, they pat themselves on the back for not settling for a lowly 60 :tongue: I try my bit to fight them away ;)

I've had a wonderful time with my 60; I posted this at my car's one-year anniversary back in January:

12 months, 18,000 miles, countless Tesla grins later...

I'd urge you (up-sell alert!) to get the Supercharging right off the bat. As others have noted, there are some great road trips to be had from San Diego up north and out east once SJC comes online.

Your MB will pale in comparison to the MS as a road trip vehicle. Just take one spirited drive up the Grapevine and you'll see :)

Good luck!

It is one TOUGH choice. I ordered 60 in late March, and 2 days ago AFTER confirmation, I changed it to 85. As I posted in another forum location, I have friends who lives just over 100 miles away and didn't want to have to try and charge at their place. Here in Indiana, we don't exactly have a plethora of superchargers, nor did I even get that option when I ordered the 60. Now, with the S85, it comes with it. **IF** the change is accepted, and my Rep seems to think it's doable as it's still in "Sourcing parts," I'll be out an extra $10,000, but I feared regretting it. Plus I was considering getting the super charger anyway for when Indiana got in the 21st Century, and that would have cost me $2,000 more anyway. So it was a tough choice and it's not a done deal yet, but I feel ya!
scott

i think i may be one of the very few owners without supercharging. we just thought for $500 difference to enable it later, we will just see how it goes. what is all of your opinion on the $2000/$2500 pricing? do you think it's going to up every year?

the way i see it, the "free supercharging for life" is paid for through the $2000, so if you own it 10 years and only supercharge 10x, that's a pretty penny to have paid for that feature. i can count on one hand the number of times i have driven more than 100 miles a day in the past 7-8 years, and i don't see that changing in the forseeable future. we also thought that if the MS is everything we hope it will be, we will replace the GL with an MX in a few years, and that one would certainly get the largest capacity available w/ supercharging.

i wish they would just enable supercharging on all vehicles and you either get lifetime free for $2000 or you pay-as-you-go ... that would be ideal for us!

I'm in the same boat all around and used the same logic when choosing the 60. We use my wife's Acadia Denali for long trips but I think a Model-X might be in our future as well, with supercharging enabled of course.

I never thought twice about sticking with the 60. My daily commute is 40 miles and I couldn't even recall my last road trip by car. Now, I DO find reasons to go on road trips, but even that is fun... all the planning is an adventure. So far, the extra 50 miles or so of range the 85 would have given me would not have made a bit of difference. There are no public chargers around here over 40 amps, so I skipped dual chargers. If there were higher powered chargers in FL I probably would have spent the $1500 for them.

Absolutely no regrets on my 60!

I share the same feeling regarding my choice of a 60. I really enjoy the planning involved! Makes me feel needed :p

Last edited:
I think the $500 penalty for activating it later is worth the risk because as many pointed out they may never use it or use it infrequently. If you end up rarely using it or never using it, you spent an extra $2000 on the car, which eats into the operating expenses of the Model S that are supposed to be very minimal. The first time I have a trip planned that could be done along a SuperCharger route, I will just use the $2500 bucks its most likely going to cost me to fly (2 adults + 2 kids) and rent a car to pay to activate my SuperCharger.

If anything is going to be added ahead of time to be used for longer travel, the dual chargers seems like a better gamble at the cost of $1500 vs. $3600 (after delivery).

In regards to 60 vs 85, I too am happy that I stuck with the 60 and don't regret it at all. I don't think the $10k for 50 extra round-trip miles is worth it. I find it hard to believe that an additional 50 miles round-trip range really unlocks a whole new world of travel that is not available in the 60.

I think the $500 penalty for activating it later is worth the risk because as many pointed out they may never use it or use it infrequently. If you end up rarely using it or never using it, you spent an extra $2000 on the car, which eats into the operating expenses of the Model S that are supposed to be very minimal. The first time I have a trip planned that could be done along a SuperCharger route, I will just use the $2500 bucks its most likely going to cost me to fly (2 adults + 2 kids) and rent a car to pay to activate my SuperCharger.
The chance of never needing it was another deciding factor for me, though I avoided mentioning it since I think it is very likely I'll enable it for a trip at some point in the 5+ years I expect to own it.

@Pilot - now you've got me addicted to refreshing My Tesla. still nothing, but at least i got to add a sig here! i agree there is a nice camaraderie here with the 60kw owners. i must admit i almost didn't want to post at all and continue to lurk, for fear that my choices would be bashed :scared:. everyone is in a diff stage in their lives. if i was single and the MS was my only car, i would have opted for the 85 since i drove a lot more in my 20's. conversely, if i was an empty nester in my 50's-60's i would also get the 85 since you only live once!

@Apoclyps - i wish we had more time for traveling, and i certainly loved driving a lot when i was in my 20's. at 37 with two young kids, i barely have time for anything, and we don't consider traveling in a car very fun right now. in fact i'm kind of dreading driving to Pismo Beach w/ my kids tomorrow LOL. my weekly trips for work i get about 45 minutes to myself both ways in a car and i LOVE it (when you're a parent, it's the simple things that matter)! can't wait to be doing it in the MS.

@gg_got - i am leaning more towards adding SC for $2000 vs. upgrading to an 85. still debating it. i figure that would be an easy one to add before delivery. all the other things i picked would be impossible or a major rip off if you tried to add later!

@scott - ah, the dark side! i hope you get your change in successfully.

@gavine @Jonathan @golfski - i am glad i am not alone in the lack of SC. i was starting to feel like a real black sheep. our families are on opposite coasts so we fly out to the east coast every year to visit. we have also lived all over the place in the U.S. - philadelphia, san francisco, chicago. my husband has a lot of frequent flier miles so i'm his SWA companion (fly for free) and we use miles for the kids.

thanks for all your input! i think i'm gonna make it to delivery without spending more $$$

Last edited:
Take a look at my signature below. I didn't think I'd ever possibly need supercharging, then the day before the one 135 miles from me opened, I NEEDED it, and was on the phone. Minutes, and $2500, later and I had it. Just sayin!

wow that's amazing - so literally they can just "activate" the SC enabling over the air? you'd think if it was that easy they could develop a pay-as-you-use system. Tesla, are you reading this ?!!? :biggrin:

like Sirius - some people did the lifetime subscription way back in the day, some people prepay by year, and some people are just on the regular monthly plan. i'd be happy paying $10-$20 per charge on an as-needed basis. i am 110% certain i will not be using a supercharger more than 100x-200x in my ownership.