Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just saying hello! New 60 on order. Late Jun 2014 delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Silicon Valley and Seattle are among the most popular areas for Tesla in the US, so doesn't surprise me. I just get a little jealous when it's mentioned.
I was pre-approved for financing with my credit union before confirming, though I may need to apply again later this month so it's locked down when I need it. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a problem to get approved with no credit score/report. I've also been checking insurance quotes, which are apparently all over the board. Looks like I'll end up with something around $300/month.

$300 a month? Wow ... I was just quoted over the weeknd at $360/6 months @ Geico and $500/6months @ Nationwide.

Do you have lots of speeding tickets? :)

Silicon Valley and Seattle are among the most popular areas for Tesla in the US, so doesn't surprise me. I just get a little jealous when it's mentioned.
I was pre-approved for financing with my credit union before confirming, though I may need to apply again later this month so it's locked down when I need it. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a problem to get approved with no credit score/report. I've also been checking insurance quotes, which are apparently all over the board. Looks like I'll end up with something around $300/month.

$300/mo?!? i hope that's a typo!

Yeah, $300/month is pretty steep for one car and one driver! It depends on your situation, though. When I was in my early twenties, I paid $562 bucks a month at one point for a Mitsubishi Galant!!!

Nowadays, we will pay $150/month for two drivers and two cars (including the Tesla) which is only $20 more a month that with a Prius & VW.

$300 a month? Wow ... I was just quoted over the weeknd at $360/6 months @ Geico and $500/6months @ Nationwide.

Do you have lots of speeding tickets? :)
None... no violations or accidents or anything. I was selecting mid-high coverage with highest deductibles, but that shouldn't make it nearly 10x the price. Maybe my expected mileage (~15,000/yr), age (27), lack of credit, never owning a vehicle before, or living in Michigan has something to do with it? Right now, I pay my dad $100/month to be insured on the family '97 Honda Odyssey with about half the coverage I'm looking at for my Model S.
So far, I've checked Allstate, State Farm, and Geico. With my selections, Geico was cheapest at about $1500 for 6 months, Allstate the highest between $3000 and $4000 depending on package (Value to Platinum). Clearly, I need to do more research.

Maximum deductibles.

I've attached a screenshot from State Farm (since it's convenient to access at the moment).

Perhaps I'm being a bit too excessive with coverage? I just want to be adequately covered and I tend to think about the worst case when planning.

Attachments

• statefarm-quote.png
    statefarm-quote.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 157
I've heard insurance is more expensive in Michigan than other states, but I think a lot of it may also be attributable to the price and expense of repairing the Model S. I currently have State Farm and drive a 2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, so I decided to compare it to your quote to see how much more the Model S really costs.

There are two areas that really stand out to me. First, the Liability insurance for the Model S is twice the MKZ Hybrid (although I only have $50,000 property damage). Even worse though is the Standard Collision. The Model S with $1000 deductible is almost $700 more than the MKZ Hybrid with $500 deductible. From reports on here we know that the Model S is incredibly expensive to repair due to the aluminum body and other specialized components, and it shows in the insurance quote. This is one thing that still gives me a bit of trepidation when it comes to planning for the Model X, as the insurance costs will likely be similarly high.

Came across this: States With The Highest (And Lowest) Auto Insurance Rates - Forbes
Michigan is (as of 2 years ago) #3 most expensive state for car insurance, at $2013. For me, State Farm is barely under that average and Geico is about $500 cheaper.
Maine is cheapest at $889.

Now I'm wondering how you get insurance for a Model S at half the cheapest average premium.

Must be the location. I don't know?
I'm in Washington, DC area. I'm a little older than you, 31. That might be a significant factor as well.

Must be the location. I don't know?
I'm in Washington, DC area. I'm a little older than you, 31. That might be a significant factor as well.
It still doesn't add up. You were quoted about a quarter the average premium for DC according to the article. There must be some kind of narrow category you fall under that gives you a massive discount, or you really skimped on the coverage with high deductibles, or by chance you mistook the monthly for the 6-month. On the other hand, the overwhelming reaction when I mentioned $300/month suggests the super low premium is rather common, which is a bit disconcerting. By not knowing, I feel like I could be missing a huge opportunity to save money and pay off my car a few months sooner. Oh well, I'll try to be positive about it knowing that I'll most likely be paying below the state average.

It still doesn't add up. You were quoted about a quarter the average premium for DC according to the article. There must be some kind of narrow category you fall under that gives you a massive discount, or you really skimped on the coverage with high deductibles, or by chance you mistook the monthly for the 6-month. On the other hand, the overwhelming reaction when I mentioned $300/month suggests the super low premium is rather common, which is a bit disconcerting. By not knowing, I feel like I could be missing a huge opportunity to save money and pay off my car a few months sooner. Oh well, I'll try to be positive about it knowing that I'll most likely be paying below the state average.

I'm happy to share anything that can help you. I don't fall under any special category I know of. I own a home, single, clean record, good credit. It says:

1. Washington, D.C.: $1,866
I'm at $360 x2 so yeah I'm about less than half that. I don't live IN the city though. About 20 miles outside.

You are actually going to be paying about double the statewide average. The quote you posted was for 6 months (the typical insurance billing period), while the article is listing annual premiums.

I'm happy to share anything that can help you. I don't fall under any special category I know of. I own a home, single, clean record, good credit. It says:

1. Washington, D.C.: $1,866
I'm at $360 x2 so yeah I'm about less than half that. I don't live IN the city though. About 20 miles outside.
I rent from parents and have no credit, so that probably doesn't help. Though, if I'm not mistaken (as I very well could be), my credit only affects the interest for monthly installments, right?

You are actually going to be paying about double the statewide average. The quote you posted was for 6 months (the typical insurance billing period), while the article is listing annual premiums.
Well I'll be... I can't read! I just looked at the averages thinking it was normal 6 month premiums and didn't think twice since it was so close to my quotes. Also just realized my family premium of about $4900 for 2 cars and 4 people with clean records is annual. This does not bode well. Hopefully whatever horrible rate I end up with will only be temporary, and I learn to read more better. Sorry for totally hijacking the thread, I'll quit making a fuss about it here and just do the research.

Last edited:
Congrats!

thanks! hey i noticed you have the all weather mats - did you get the trunk/frunk set too? wondering how you like them and how long did it take to get them from Tesla's online store? what do the factory carpet mats look like? are they cheap and flimsy?

we have the weathertech in our Benz , all three rows and they are a must have with the kids! i don't have them in our lexus though because we don't tend to take that anywhere "dirty" (e.g., beach, pumpkin patch, etc.). debating it on the MS . at least Tesla supplies the 2nd row as a one piece across the whole row rather than two tiny little foot mats.

thanks! hey i noticed you have the all weather mats - did you get the trunk/frunk set too? wondering how you like them and how long did it take to get them from Tesla's online store? what do the factory carpet mats look like? are they cheap and flimsy?

we have the weathertech in our Benz , all three rows and they are a must have with the kids! i don't have them in our lexus though because we don't tend to take that anywhere "dirty" (e.g., beach, pumpkin patch, etc.). debating it on the MS . at least Tesla supplies the 2nd row as a one piece across the whole row rather than two tiny little foot mats.

The all weather mats are awesome, I would recommend getting them for the entire car if you can afford it. As for the carpet mats they are cheap and flimsy. The service center had the all weather mats so I did not have to wait. I think you can pre-order them so you will have them when your car arrives. Good quality as well.