Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jacksonville SuperCharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the distance is 199.2 miles between Burlington and Glen Allen Superchargers. I did it in 60-65 degree weather at 325 Wh/mi averaging 66 mph, which involved driving 75+ mph for big stretches of time. I did a range charge the first time, and didn't bother with a range charge the second. The big problem is that if you miscalculate and leave too early, then there aren't many good options to add charge. On my way back from Burlington, I only put in 68 kWh or so, so it was a bit tight. I did the 203 miles back to my house using 316 Wh/mi by driving slower in I-85 (68mph) and then driving normal in I-95.

177 miles isn't bad. It's possible to charge to 80% (212 ideal miles), use 375 watts/mile (driving 75 mph + heater) and hit that range. But it's right on the cusp of that. Therefore on an 85, one still has to wait longer to into the charge rate tapering to be comfortable and drive "normal." For 60kWh owners, this is probably deep into a range charge, which means a much longer time at the supercharger before heading out, or drive below speed limit - basically, you have to use probably less than 325 Wh/mi.

There is NO WAY my 60 could do 177 miles between SC. At 325 wh/mi it would take very ion out of my battery. Furthermore my RR has dropped significantly now and driving at highway speeds, even as low as 65 I am getting only about 88% of the RR. My std charge is around 173 at this point which means I can comfortably go about 150 miles at 65mph. So hopefully they will keep the SC within 140 miles of each other.

There is NO WAY my 60 could do 177 miles between SC. At 325 wh/mi it would take very ion out of my battery. Furthermore my RR has dropped significantly now and driving at highway speeds, even as low as 65 I am getting only about 88% of the RR. My std charge is around 173 at this point which means I can comfortably go about 150 miles at 65mph. So hopefully they will keep the SC within 140 miles of each other.

Talked to a member of the supercharging team. He told me the main issue is actually finding a location in Jacksonville that can handle the power required for 8 bays and enforcing the parking restrictions. Jacksonville is the goal and they are countinuing to scower Jacksonville and the surrounding areas. Crossing my fingers.

Talked to a member of the supercharging team. He told me the main issue is actually finding a location in Jacksonville that can handle the power required for 8 bays and enforcing the parking restrictions. Jacksonville is the goal and they are countinuing to scower Jacksonville and the surrounding areas. Crossing my fingers.
hmmm, maybe they need some "on the ground" assistance. I am sure that there are many suitable locations for them. JAX has plenty of open spaces and a pretty good infrastructure as well. Tesla's building out of the charging stations here in the eastern US and the Southern US has been dismal at best to date.

Savannah to St Augustine is 177 miles, so I think that's totally doable at 70 mph. Jacksonville would certainly be better so you don't have to fully range charge in Savannah.

177 miles isn't bad. It's possible to charge to 80% (212 ideal miles), use 375 watts/mile (driving 75 mph + heater) and hit that range. But it's right on the cusp of that. Therefore on an 85, one still has to wait longer to into the charge rate tapering to be comfortable and drive "normal." For 60kWh owners, this is probably deep into a range charge, which means a much longer time at the supercharger before heading out, or drive below speed limit - basically, you have to use probably less than 325 Wh/mi.

It would be ill-advised to plan on a 177 mile trip in a 60 kWh Model S and expect to do 70 mph. If we refer to Tesla's Range vs. Constant Speed chart for an 85 kWh battery in ideal conditions and proportionally decrease the range for a 60 kWh battery the estimated range is about 168 miles when traveling at 70 mph. Even at 65 mph it is not a sure thing with the estimated range at 185 miles.

Many of us in Florida like to use the air conditioning and travel with all the members of the family and their luggage. These ideal conditions don't allow for that. :wink:

Model S Range vs Constant Speed.jpg

As was mentioned the Tesla Supercharger team knows this and they know that this distance is too far for a permanent situation. I am optimistic that they will continue to work this problem and eventually advance the "Jacksonville" Supercharger back onto the planning horizon of the map.

Larry

It would be ill-advised to plan on a 177 mile trip in a 60 kWh Model S and expect to do 70 mph. If we refer to Tesla's Range vs. Constant Speed chart for an 85 kWh battery in ideal conditions and proportionally decrease the range for a 60 kWh battery the estimated range is about 168 miles when traveling at 70 mph. Even at 65 mph it is not a sure thing with the estimated range at 185 miles...

The 60 seems to be more efficient than the 85 and simply scaling the chart for the 85 may not be accurate. I'm not sure if it's just weight savings or something more with the efficiency of the drive system. I have driven my 60 on a 210 mile round trip on a single range charge. This was on mostly 55mph posted roads and I took it easy and stayed around 60mph. Long travel in the 60 is do-able, just takes extra planning. Would be nice to have a SC in Jacksonville so the car can be driven like it should be though :)

Tesla has been less than circumspect about SC locations.

I've had my P85 since early September and have driven fewer than 1400 miles. At least 40% of those have been miles logged by friends who were driving the car.

My commitment to buy the car was made after I was assured by Tesla that there would be a SuperCharger in Orlando by about this time, and that a charger would be in Ocala/Gainesville by Q1 of 2014.

I can afford to leave six figures in the garage, but it doesn't increase my ability to feel that commitments = promises.

(Perhaps that is why Tesla says less and less?)

It would be ill-advised to plan on a 177 mile trip in a 60 kWh Model S and expect to do 70 mph.[...]

As was mentioned the Tesla Supercharger team knows this and they know that this distance is too far for a permanent situation. I am optimistic that they will continue to work this problem and eventually advance the "Jacksonville" Supercharger back onto the planning horizon of the map.

Larry

The 60 seems to be more efficient than the 85 and simply scaling the chart for the 85 may not be accurate. I'm not sure if it's just weight savings or something more with the efficiency of the drive system. I have driven my 60 on a 210 mile round trip on a single range charge. This was on mostly 55mph posted roads and I took it easy and stayed around 60mph. Long travel in the 60 is do-able, just takes extra planning. Would be nice to have a SC in Jacksonville so the car can be driven like it should be though :)
I don't disagree that a 60 kWh Model S is quite capable of traveling long distances with proper planning and it probably is slightly more efficient than a 85 kWh Model S. (It does weigh less, but the motor is the same.)

Nevertheless, I believe my remarks quoted above remain valid. Your experiences of traveling considerably less than 70 mph only underscores my point. It would be ill-advised to plan on a 177 mile trip in a 60 kWh Model S and expect to do 70 mph.

Larry

Nevertheless, I believe my remarks quoted above remain valid. Your experiences of traveling considerably less than 70 mph only underscores my point. It would be ill-advised to plan on a 177 mile trip in a 60 kWh Model S and expect to do 70 mph.
Larry

So today I drove from Savannah Supercharger to St Augustine Supercharger in my 60 kWh. Though it may have been ill advised on I-95 I drove mostly around 70mph ranging 65-75, here are my stats:

Range charged to 193 miles Rated Range.
Drove 171.9 miles.
Travel time 2hrs 37min
Avg speed 66 mph (includes surface streets near chargers)
Consumed 49.1 kWh
Averaged 286 Wh/mile
Arrived with 22miles rated range remaining
Temp was 34 degrees at start, 42 degrees at end, light drizzle last 20 miles with minimal winds.

172 miles is long for a 60kWh on 70mph posted speed roads. On other legs of my trip from the DC area, I was able to travel faster and not have to do a full range charge at the supercharger which really slows things down. Hopefully another charger will go in at some point but the drive can be done in a 60 without driving like a turtle.

172 miles is long for a 60kWh on 70mph posted speed roads. On other legs of my trip from the DC area, I was able to travel faster and not have to do a full range charge at the supercharger which really slows things down. Hopefully another charger will go in at some point but the drive can be done in a 60 without driving like a turtle.

Thanks for your report.

I agree that Superchargers spacing at over 170 miles is a bit long for 60 kWh battery packs particularly when the weather does not cooperate. Despite the fact that the Jacksonville Supercharger is no longer being shown on the interactive map, I expect that Tesla will eventually install a Supercharge in that area and split the distance between the Savannah and St. Augustine Superchargers.

Larry

Yesterday I drove from Orlando to the PSL SC. @65 MPH my 60 ave WPM was 330. Started at 47* and ended at 58* over the 121 miles. Going N from Coral Springs to PSL averaged 305 wpm at a set cruise of 70 mph, but from PSL to Orlando jumped to 358 wpm @ 70 and started with 190 RM ended with only 29 over the 125 miles. With those stats I wouldnt attempt a drive from SA to Savannah in the cold. I think I could stretch it under the right conditions if I set the cruise at 60mph but that would be pretty frustrating. Again, I was amazed that going North under the same conditions, the WPM changed dramatically between the first stretch from CS to PSL and the second stretch from PSL to Orlando.

Yesterday I drove from Orlando to the PSL SC. @65 MPH my 60 ave WPM was 330. Started at 47* and ended at 58* over the 121 miles. Going N from Coral Springs to PSL averaged 305 wpm at a set cruise of 70 mph, but from PSL to Orlando jumped to 358 wpm @ 70 and started with 190 RM ended with only 29 over the 125 miles. With those stats I wouldnt attempt a drive from SA to Savannah in the cold. I think I could stretch it under the right conditions if I set the cruise at 60mph but that would be pretty frustrating. Again, I was amazed that going North under the same conditions, the WPM changed dramatically between the first stretch from CS to PSL and the second stretch from PSL to Orlando.

I've owned my 60kWh for a year and driven 20k miles. I Have done multiple road trips in all sorts of conditions so I was not too worried with this Savannah to St Augustine leg. While driving fast is fun, so is getting there. While you could always slow down if you needed to, I have found that driving 2-3 seconds behind larger vehicles dramatically reduces consumption and removes the headwind variable that probably impacted your trip. Some have raised concerns about objects being kicked up or ability to stop suddenly which are valid but I would argue that one's ability to stop in a model S is better than a large truck's. 2-3 seconds back is a pretty typical following distance on the road and doesn't really feel like "drafting".

Thanks for your report.

I agree that Superchargers spacing at over 170 miles is a bit long for 60 kWh battery packs particularly when the weather does not cooperate. Despite the fact that the Jacksonville Supercharger is no longer being shown on the interactive map, I expect that Tesla will eventually install a Supercharge in that area and split the distance between the Savannah and St. Augustine Superchargers.

Larry

Here's a recent article that supports my opinion that a Supercharger Staion in the vicinity of Jacksonville is not dead.

Proposal for Tesla Supercharger Station in Lake City

Whiteman also included that he has plans proposed for supercharger stations along interstate 10. He said he would like to see one built in Houston, and then on the way to Jacksonville utilize the one built in Lake City. The distances between each supercharger station would be no more than 130 miles in length.

Larry

If you look at the link below, it shows that a SC in the Jacksonville area is expected to be installed by the end of this year. If you switch from the 'Today' and '2016' tabs it pops up. Curious to see if anyone has any info. on this.

Supercharger | Tesla
I don't think that the map has been updated in a long time. It's missing the Columbia, SC location (which is open now) and does not have a pin for coming soon at the Myrtle Beach that is under construction.

with there being SCs in St Aug to the south and Kingsland GA to the north and Lake city to the west I think that the I95 and I 10 routes are well serviced and we won't be seeing one in JAX unless they put one at the new service center that is reported to be opening soon.

Reactions: jbcarioca
with there being SCs in St Aug to the south and Kingsland GA to the north and Lake city to the west I think that the I95 and I 10 routes are well serviced and we won't be seeing one in JAX unless they put one at the new service center that is reported to be opening soon.
I have repeatedly heard rumors about that, but the close proximity of nearby superchargers as you mentioned makes me think that may not happens very soon. There is also the Miami case, similar to that of Jacksonville but with much more destination Tesla tourists. In both cases local Tesla people seem confident there will be Superchargers associated with the Stores/SC's expected. We'll see.