Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 LR Wh/km (or Mile) Driving Gradients

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Steve446

Dusty Crophopper, M3 LR 2021 Midnight Silver
I'm planning a springtime road trip to Ireland end April in my M3 LR 2021 and certain routes will have quite significant gradients. It's not the Himalayas but some areas are rather isolated so this will have an impact on charger search and charging times even after regen on any downside. Whilst ABRP is very good at estimating energy consumption for most of the routes I plan, it has a few bugs on certain routes and will not always complete a circuit in remoter areas. I think its database believes in some cases there's no though road (or too many cows and sheep :) ).

I have a reasonable estimation of Wh/km (or Miles if you prefer) from TeslaFi for distance and temperature. Here I'm looking for Wh/km over short gradients; an example would be my experience in Normandy last year - a climb in altitude of about 365 metres over 16 km with a gradient of 4.9% where my M3 LR gave 302 Wh/km (normal for that area was 120-160).

Any suggestions on that would be appreciated!

The car’s navigation system accounts for elevation changes, so maybe just program the route and see what it suggests for stops?
Thanks for that suggestion. I had tried that too but it did didn't seem to work. I planned the route in the app and in the car for the Ireland route but afterwards the car tried to start the trip from my current GPS location (at home in France) and to then drive there via the UK "land bridge" / ferry route via Hollyhead-Dublin. Maybe I did something wrong?

Any other suggestions regards Wh/km or miles with gradients welcome :)