Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Adapter Holster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading a tips and tricks post for the MS and there was a note in there that the glove box has a place to secure the J1772 adapter. It said that it could be secured in the front left of the glove box, but I didn’t see/feel anything that seemed to do the job. So, first question is if there is supposed to be a place for the adapter to stay?

While looking for that, I thought that the small area beneath the MCU would also be an ideal spot. If I had a 3D printer, I’d look to fashion something. Has anyone tried to make such a holster to keep the adapter inside without rolling around?

I believe that the newer cars are missing the spot in the glove compartment. I know my 2015 has one though. That said, though, I just keep my adapter in the bag with my mobile connector and it’s adapters and that goes in the cubby behind the charging port in the back. I don’t use my mobile connector or the J1772 adapter enough to make them super accessible. I think I’ve used the J1772 adapter three times in the 7 months I’ve owned my car.

Was keeping it in the bag until I considered changing it within the last week or so. Had an i3 before, so the JuiceBox I already have for charging always requires the adapter.

May give the cup holder a try; pretty much as convenient and use that storage less than the under-screen compartment.

I keep mine in the cupholder as well. While not great if I have a passenger that also has a drink, it works fine 80% of the time. The rest of the time I just let it roll around or throw it in the frunk. I only need it when i'm at my apartments... Just about every other time i charge is at a Tesla destination charger or a supercharger, so unless I'm home for more than a weekend (very, very, very rare) it's not a big deal to just keep it in the cupholder.

Mine has the holder in the left of the glove box. Since discovering it (thanks to a tip on here somewhere) that's been my J1772's home and a good and handy one. I only need the adapter a few times per year and that is a much more convenient spot than in the trunk or frunk.