Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there battery pre-heating possibility?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, and I think it also turns off, or scales back pack heating even when you're driving the car too.

That's strange, because I turned range mode off yesterday, precisely to check this. And this morning, with an outside temp just above freezing (2 C), I found my battery with regen limited at 30 Kw even if the car had been charging for the previous 6 hours and I pre-heated the cabin...

This does not indicate regen interferes with the battery heating process, since it is exactly the same behaviour as when I had range mode on.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I've experienced. Range mode does only the minimal amount of pack heating to keep the battery in a safe temperature range. Of course, as you drive more, if there is extra motor heat, it will heat the battery to higher than minimum, but I've found a big difference in the regen line position when charging and preheating with range mode on or off.

I checked the Model S users manual, and also the on screen prompt message when enabling range mode, and both say it changes the way climate heats/cool the cabin. But nothing else.

Are we really sure there is a relation between range mode and battery pre-heating?

Are we really sure there is a relation between range mode and battery pre-heating?

Given a similarly cold ambient temperature (my car parks outside) if I have range mode on the regen line is much closer to zero--or even no regen available--than if I have range mode off. This has been consistent behaviour for the past two years. I don't know how much more evidence is required, and I'm not the only person to notice this. Just reading the manual should be a clue that it's been dumbed down as much as possible.

Given a similarly cold ambient temperature (my car parks outside) if I have range mode on the regen line is much closer to zero--or even no regen available--than if I have range mode off. This has been consistent behaviour for the past two years. I don't know how much more evidence is required, and I'm not the only person to notice this. Just reading the manual should be a clue that it's been dumbed down as much as possible.

Well, I've only tried one night, so I'll leave range mode off for now, and will keep looking at how the regen presents in the morning with similar temperatures. I have not seen a clear difference so far, but I might soon join your club :)

That's strange, because I turned range mode off yesterday, precisely to check this. And this morning, with an outside temp just above freezing (2 C), I found my battery with regen limited at 30 Kw even if the car had been charging for the previous 6 hours and I pre-heated the cabin...

2 C is actually quite mild (I think I'll break out the shorts and t-shirts when it gets that high here!) and I've found that the car's characteristics are quite different above the freezing mark. Try it at - 25 C and I think the difference between Range Mode ON and OFF will be apparent.

2 C is actually quite mild (I think I'll break out the shorts and t-shirts when it gets that high here!) and I've found that the car's characteristics are quite different above the freezing mark. Try it at - 25 C and I think the difference between Range Mode ON and OFF will be apparent.

Norwegian winters are not what they used to be... 2 years ago we still had -15 C in March, but now we barely go below -5C (at least in the South of Norway).

Anyway, thanks for the tips. When temps go below freezing again, I'll keep an eye on regen in the mornings :)

This does not indicate regen interferes with the battery heating process, since it is exactly the same behaviour as when I had range mode on.

- - - Updated - - -

I checked the Model S users manual, and also the on screen prompt message when enabling range mode, and both say it changes the way climate heats/cool the cabin. But nothing else.

Preheating the cabin, and thus the battery, won't get you regen beyond that 30kw limit. But if you had not preheated the cabin with range mode off, or had preheated it with range mode on you probably would have seen that limit even lower, provided your charge had not recently completed.

You need to understand that the battery has to heat to charge, and if the charge is completing close to the time that you are going to begin your drive, then the range mode being on or off is irrelevant, because the fact that the car was charging will have heated the battery.

If you want to prove to yourself that range mode does allow for the battery to be heated compare what happens when there is no battery charging taking place at close to the same time. (Make sure any charging has stopped several hours before.) Then, in cold conditions, compare how much regen you have if you preheat the cabin for 30-45 minutes with range mode off vs. range mode on. With range mode on, if it is cold enough, you should have no regen, or next to no regen. With range mode off you should have 30 KW of regen available, or close to it.

2 C is actually quite mild (I think I'll break out the shorts and t-shirts when it gets that high here!)

Yes, I think Eastern Canada is one of the rare places on Earth where Winters have been colder than average the last two years. When the Model 3 comes out and they are manufacturing 500,000 UMCs per year, an option should be offered to have a cable which doesn't become rigid at -20C.

Yes, I think Eastern Canada is one of the rare places on Earth where Winters have been colder than average the last two years.

Apparently a couple of weeks ago it was colder here than where the rovers are on Mars. Last winter we had "frostquakes" which I'd never heard of before. It was caused when the frost got so far down into the ground that the expansion would cause massive "crack" and "boom" sounds when it let go. On more than one occasion, I flew out of bed thinking a tree had fallen on the roof or a car had crashed into the house. At least we're not getting the crazy snow like the northeast US and Canadian maritimes.

Interesting post on cold weather driving:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/.../194-Cold-Weather-Driving

- - - Updated - - -

Cooling system P85 on 5.12.jpg

This schematic (hidden diagnostic menu) give some informations on temperature management.

Attachments

• Cooling system.png
    Cooling system.png
    431.2 KB · Views: 92
Interesting post on cold weather driving:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/.../194-Cold-Weather-Driving

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 105755

This schematic (hidden diagnostic menu) give some informations on temperature management.

The link above doesn't seem to work. I would have tried to follow it, to see if it provided additional information, before asking for the following. I'm wondering if someone might offer some insight into what the schematic means. What information can we take away from this?

Thanks.

Hmmm, I recently have an overnight stay where I was up a mountain and the temps were about 20 degrees F and I arranged for it to finish charging to 100% about departure time. If I had done 95% would I have not gotten the barber poll on departure?