Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 RWD LFP Model 3 Defrost Mode Wall Connector observed shore power usage and questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The onboard charger can provide up to 32A on this vehicle; therefore, the Wall Connector can deliver a max of 240V*32A of power to the vehicle or (7.7kW). None of the seats or steering wheel where being heated during this test but the rear window defogger was enabled.

I monitored the shore power drawn through my version 3 Tesla Wall connector in Defrost Mode with the following results.

The maximum monitored AC voltage/amperage while in Defrost Mode was 241V at 28A or about 6.75kW. These readings came from both the service mode charging screen in the car and my Wall Monitor iPhone app and they agreed.

I believe the rear motor can draw somewhere between 3.5-4kW to create waste heat. Not sure what the maximum power draw is for the Heat Pump? I read somewhere it is about 3.5kW? Given this 6.75kW power draw has anyone monitored about what portion of that power is split between the rear motor and the Heat Pump (via SMT)? If the Heat Pump can draw the entire 6.75kW, maybe the rear motor is not involved at all?

For a second test the maximum measured power readings heating the cabin with the temp set to <Hi> were 244V at 16A or 3.9kW. Again, I assume a portion of the energy drawn from shore power was for the rear motor and the remainder for the Heat Pump? SMT could provide these parameter readings?

The onboard charger can provide up to 32A on this vehicle; therefore, the Wall Connector can deliver a max of 240V*32A of power to the vehicle or (7.7kW). None of the seats or steering wheel where being heated during this test but the rear window defogger was enabled.

I monitored the shore power drawn through my version 3 Tesla Wall connector in Defrost Mode with the following results.

The maximum monitored AC voltage/amperage while in Defrost Mode was 241V at 28A or about 6.75kW. These readings came from both the service mode charging screen in the car and my Wall Monitor iPhone app and they agreed.

I believe the rear motor can draw somewhere between 3.5-4kW to create waste heat. Not sure what the maximum power draw is for the Heat Pump? I read somewhere it is about 3.5kW? Given this 6.75kW power draw has anyone monitored about what portion of that power is split between the rear motor and the Heat Pump (via SMT)? If the Heat Pump can draw the entire 6.75kW, maybe the rear motor is not involved at all?

For a second test the maximum measured power readings heating the cabin with the temp set to <Hi> were 244V at 16A or 3.9kW. Again, I assume a portion of the energy drawn from shore power was for the rear motor and the remainder for the Heat Pump? SMT could provide these parameter readings?
Forgot to mention that the traction battery cell temps were around 50F so no active battery warming should have been involved in my previous post. I raised the SOC level to 100% and verified my normal max charge rate of 31mph then lowered it back to 50% prior to the above energy usage tests. It would be interesting to compare these test results if the traction battery cells temps were below 32F.