Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super charge speed if battery not pre-conditioned prior to arrival

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MY RWD begun preconditioning the battery for a supercharger stop while I was still in Glasgow heading to Fort William. Took 2 hours with no traffic but I thought it was pretty early.

I find that it stops and starts preconditioning as required (or as the car believes it's required). It doesn't necessarily use power preconditioning for the entire period. I would suggest that people let their car do what it thinks is best on a few trips to see how it works before trying to to second guess the charging strategy. More often than not the car does a good job and ensures that you get fast charges whilst protecting the battery (by maintaining optimum temperatures). Once you have a good handle on how it goes then you can experiment with situation-specific scenarios where you know something that the car doesn't.

Reactions: GRiLLA
2nd charge of the road trip was much slower, assume down to the shorter 15 min drive to the SC (with no pre-conditioning) compared to my previous charge which was after a 2.5hr drive. Still, topped up 20kwh in under 20mins which was fine with me. So, that’s 2 out of 2 positive SC experiences. To be honest I was a bit worried about charging away from home but the SC network makes it so easy there is nothing to worry about.

“The car will make better judgments than you”. Always? Really?

I can easily think of an example where it made a stupid decision that I ignored. Coming west along the m4 it decided to send us past membury westbound, turn around at the next junction, go to eastbound sc because less wait.

Even if this was true I am the one who knows how important our time was, not Tesla. That’s significant extra energy use to save some time.

As it happens westbound sc was virtually empty.

Got this rate from the new additional ones at Hopwood. 2020 M3LR with preconditioning.
1000018765.jpg