Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP Battery SC Charge Speed - 2023 M3 RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, there was a message on the display saying that the battery is cold so I guess it did not allow full charge speed. I also noticed a buzzing noise while driving to the SC (was my first time using SC) so I assume the noise is because the heat pump was running at high speed.

So there you have it, you probably did not have the maximum power that the charging curve allows because of that. The max is around 170-180kW when the battery is low (lower than 35% for sure) and then it tapers down fairly linearly. You can search Google and you'll find a few curves but there are variations. I tend to trust Bjorn Nyland on Youtube, he has done some tests on that model.

I guess the buzzing noise is from the motor. Tesla can drive the motor in non-efficient way and get about 3.5 kW of heat from it. It is used often during battery preconditioning (not sure if always). Can be checked for example in SMT, you will see Stator temps going up to 90 deg celsius during normal drive while preconditioning.