Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Tesla discrete enough?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same concern as I run a portfolio management company. I did not want to have the flashy or "aggressive" look. I make enough money to afford these cars so why should I not enjoy it? The Tesla is a very practical car for it's price range. I think it is much more discreet than similar cars in it's range such as a M5.

I totally agree with the statement about "I would never have spent this much money on a regular car". In fact, I don't even own a car, and haven't had one for two years. If it wasn't for the Tesla Model S (which just went into production yesterday, yay yay yay!), I would probably keep using buses, trains, taxis and my pair of size 11s beneath me.

I don't need the Tesla Model S.

I cannot afford the Tesla Model S.

Yet I must have it.

This may seem OT, but on the road simply turning off the front LED driving lights makes the car a lot more discreet. From the front the driving lights are instantly identifiable; without them, Model S looks like a Ford Fusion from any distance.

This may seem OT, but on the road simply turning off the front LED driving lights makes the car a lot more discreet. From the front the driving lights are instantly identifiable; without them, Model S looks like a Ford Fusion from any distance.

This reminds me of when my MS was less than a week old and I almost flashed my lights at a Ford Fusion because I thought it was another Tesla.

I agree with @william13: clients want to hire successful consultants. Not only does the Model S show that you're financially secure, but also that you recognize quality engineering.

The key is how YOU carry it off. Be honest about why you bought the car. If you don't brag about the car or talk about except when asked, it won't reflect poorly on you at all.

Also if people like you and respect you they are unlikely to care about what you drive. If you are unpleasant or arrogant then driving a fancy car might me seen as flaunting your wealth. All about perspective.

It is not discrete. Gets lots if attention.
I am a doctor in a small town, so I was concerned of what people thought too. And everyone knows it's my car, but never had a negative comment, but lots of questions about the car and how I like it and plenty of compliments.
Don't worry about the envious or jealous individuals. If you want it and can afford it, go for it, you won't be sorry

@OP:
If you roll up in a new Ferrari it screams a lot of things (literally and figurately) to customers/clients. If you roll up in a meticulously maintained piece of machinery that's 20 years old, a different message is sent (a good one). If you roll up in a Prius or Leaf, yet another message is sent. If you take all the good sentiment (and discard the bad) of these 3 examples, that's a reasonable capture of the sentiment that I get in the vibe from others.

Some people know it costs more, but that takes a backseat (hah, car pun!) to "that is sweet, when did you get it?" and other questions for people that know of Tesla. For people that don't know of Tesla, it somewhat forces you to do a little education -- and your approach to that conversation and which topics to hit first makes the difference.

Generally they don't notice the vehicle unless they see me pull up or we take my car to lunch.

Oh that's nice of you. I guess you take the car to an SC for "lunch" ;-)

Sorry, I just was in the mood this morning.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have a lot of possessions, but the ones I have, I would rather have nice ones which are unique and fit my taste and will last.

+1 absolutely

If you are having concerns about it then you may be right. I like unique things, it just how I am. But I do know that customers (and coworkers) do notice things like cars, clothing and watches. It could be looked down on as customers feel pricing is high and they are paying for your nice things rather than the services rendered.

My MC Red gets noticed every where I go. Just the car being silent gets it noticed.

There is a big difference between buying a car to be flashy and buying a car for the pure joy of it. My observation is that many people with no brains and /or no interest in cars who want to show off typically buy a brand new Bentley, Merc S, Ranger Rover, X6 M or something like that. Show up in one of those and you probably burn bridges with your clients if you work in a "discreet" industry.

I have made a different observation with the Model S owners who I have met. Many of them bought the car out of the sheer playfulness, curiosity, joy of driving and because of a true interest in cars, with little interest in showing off.
The people who don't understand this difference probably have no influence in your client's company and their opinion will have no impact on your business.
The decision makers and influencers among your clients will know. The Ms will be a relationship builder with them and they will understand that you have a true passion for cars, which is the correct thing to have in the automotive industry, no?

In case somebody asks about the price (the key people already know, only ignorant people will ask this), start with saying that the gas savings bring the total ownership cost down to about the same as owning a regular car.

Last edited:
I work as a consultant in mechanical engineering within the automotive industry.

While a lot of the discussion here has focused on the general discretion of the car, I think that the emphasis (mine) above is more important for this discussion.

Tesla is bucking the trends and pushing for all-electric, whereas the industry as a whole seems to want to push the transition step (hybrids) more than the culmination. Most of the primary automotive manufacturers have divested themselves of all engineering but the engine itself.

If you are regularly consulting with the primary makers (GM, BMW, Hyundai, etc) then I would most emphatically not recommend bringing attention to the car which was created to force their hand into electric. If you're dealing with secondary makers (makers of windshields, transmissions, wheels.. whatever else) then the more eloquent arguments above point to "don't worry about it".

While a lot of the discussion here has focused on the general discretion of the car, I think that the emphasis (mine) above is more important for this discussion.

Tesla is bucking the trends and pushing for all-electric, whereas the industry as a whole seems to want to push the transition step (hybrids) more than the culmination. Most of the primary automotive manufacturers have divested themselves of all engineering but the engine itself.

If you are regularly consulting with the primary makers (GM, BMW, Hyundai, etc) then I would most emphatically not recommend bringing attention to the car which was created to force their hand into electric. If you're dealing with secondary makers (makers of windshields, transmissions, wheels.. whatever else) then the more eloquent arguments above point to "don't worry about it".

If that were true he couldn't drive a Japanese car to a GM meeting/job because the Japanese were the ones who forced GM's hand into making quality cars. OP would need one car of each brand that he works for :)

Keep your old car for a while and continue to drive it to work until you see how much attention your Tesla gets while you play with it on the weekend. One of our guys showed up in his new Panamera which raised a few eyebrows at my office. He doesn't drive it to work anymore.