Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Tesla discrete enough?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing you might consider is getting a nice license plate frame with something like "100% Electric" and "Designed and Build in America" or "American Made" engraved on it. Many people who don't know what it is assume it's an exotic foreign car.

This might sound like a weird question, so here is some background information to understand why I'm asking this.

I work as a consultant in mechanical engineering within the automotive industry. I'll probably order a Tesla this month, but I'm having some doubts about how it will be perceived by my customers. Where I work people generally don't have particularly expensive cars. The average would probably be a car that is 1/4th of the cost of the Tesla. My main concern is that it could annoy some people that a consultant shows up with a too expensive car. Has any of you ever gotten any remarks by customers etc or gotten the feeling that it's too flashy?

This is an age old problem. I first started working as a consultant in the late 70s, always a high-earning profession, and always wise not to flaunt it - especially among clients. But, I think this also comes down to the ENTIRE image you present. If you have a new high-end sports car every year, you are flaunting it! If you drive a high-end sports car and also wear armani and rolex, you are flaunting it! If you drive a high-end sports car and every few months tell the details of your vacation to the Maldives, Kenyan safari, or Bali; you are flaunting it!

However, in this consultant's opinion, if you are working with engineers and you show up with a miracle of modern engineering that just happens to be a high-end sports car, and you otherwise comport yourself discreetly... I expect they would be excited WITH you!

100% okay. Be proud of the American cutting-edge green nature of this automobile.

One thing you might consider is getting a nice license plate frame with something like "100% Electric" and "Designed and Build in America" or "American Made" engraved on it. Many people who don't know what it is assume it's an exotic foreign car.
I just reread the original post and noticed that he lists his location as "Europe." So maybe hold back on the American thing just a bit. Perhaps a little advance scouting with the clients would be in order here. "Hey, what do you think about that new Tesla? It's got some really cool technology." Judge the reaction from there.

I just reread the original post and noticed that he lists his location as "Europe." So maybe hold back on the American thing just a bit.
Lol. I did not notice that. There was mention of taking a Toyota to a GM meeting, etc. so it did not occur that he was not in the US.

That changes things a bit for me. I'm not sure I would drive an awesome American made car to European Automobile companies as a consultant.

These thoughts are helpful

I am new to the forum and have thought about a Model S for months. I finally took the plunge and have a pearl white 85 pano coming on November 15th. I have thought about the issues in this thread a lot and appreciate the comments.
And the following fit me also:

I totally agree with the statement about "I would never have spent this much money on a regular car".
Amen. ICE vehicles half the cost of my MS were too expensive.

I don't need the Tesla Model S.
check

I cannot afford the Tesla Model S.
Yet, I found a way after few months' serious thought.

Yet I must have it.
Amen again.

I can't wait...

For what it's worth I have a Model S on order but will continue driving my 5 year old Peugeot 308 to see my clients. Reasoning is simple - if you have a flashy car, they will think you're making too much money from them, and will squeeze you down on price for anything. It probably isn't even a conscious decision but it's there for sure.

To answer some of the questions, I work as a consultant, but as some have noticed not in the US. I work in Europe mainly for a truck manufacturer. I just ordered a black S85, with standard rims, and pano-roof, hopefully it will be discreet enough :)