Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The BIG QUESTION FOR MODEL S AND ALL OTHER TESLA MODELS … ITS A COMPUTER SYSTEM PROBLEM AS WELL AS A CHARGING QUESTION since I’m an expert systems!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First the main system that monitors all the information… this system is NOT immune to an EMP BURST should that occur. Next the system probably isn’t doing what we call mirroring so should the system itself is compromised ALL TESSLAs would become BRICKS! Tesla should create on-board mini back up systems which pull be independent of the main system (probably in California). Next, the proof of this is in the ‘Supercharging’ algorithms. If a long trip is attempted and the car is charged independently or even at a residence that charge is NOT recorded. Thus if in between Supercharge station the mileage to the next Supercharge Station is not recorded… thus pulling the car over to the side of the road which not only dangerous but also obtuse in the algorithm itself (it happened to us on such a long trip in Texas… needed a flat top tow to the next Supercharger! Unacceptable). If the main computer system is hacked in California then it could compromise every Tesla driving in the World… big concern and Tesla has the poorest customer service available on the planet! We own a 2014 and to fix a flat tire on the car at so-called service center cost over 500 bucks… outrageous of course for a flat tire. And the tires are of course “special” tires!
We had the Tesla since 2016 and minor fixes are major expenses… yet we like the Tesla better than any of the other EVs on the market. With that said I do hope (because that is the only thing Tesla owners can do is … hope when it comes to customer service) Tesla might read these blog… comments and address the problems outlined… but we will not hold our breath…
Mr James J Irwin

The MCU is redundant (at least for many years), so critical systems are mirrored.

Recharging the car is always recorded by the car and figured in calculations.

We own a 2014 and to fix a flat tire on the car at so-called service center cost over 500 bucks… outrageous of course for a flat tire. And the tires are of course “special” tires!

They are not "special" tires, and you can take your car to any corner tire shop to fix a flat. Going to Tesla for that is 100% on you. Not Tesla's fault.

But for the rest of it:

200w.gif

The MCU is redundant (at least for many years), so critical systems are mirrored.

Recharging the car is always recorded by the car and figured in calculations.
I’m afraid you would be wrong about charging out side the system occurs. You provide no proof that the algorithm records all charges made outside the main system. Since the TRUTH is in the actual action and experience. Obviously you are not a systems expert and your observations are not correct. Next you claim that mirroring occurs but provide no proof of that. Next, you do not address the problem of someone hacking the system and crating chaos for the Tesla drivers. Furthermore you have no proof of that as well! Next, there is no on board back up system for the car itself if such should occur. Seems your comment has no validity my friend… are you a Tesla owner? How long have you driven the Tesla? What model do you own. I am glad you have had no problems. But until it occurs your comments need rethinking.. but thanks for them they show that you are considering the problems and possible failures.. I look for future solutions.. what is your intent? Thanks anyway for your time and comment.
Mr Irwin

They are not "special" tires, and you can take your car to any corner tire shop to fix a flat. Going to Tesla for that is 100% on you. Not Tesla's fault.

But for the rest of it:

200w.gif
Ok thanks for the update on the tires, any shop.. so I definitely will check that out, much appreciated. Does that void the lifetime warranty? That was my impression.. but you’ve saved me 500 bucks it true. Next, the app system does not allow for a simple question as this.. but it too could be modified for the customer don’t you think? As an old CIO I probably would have required the programming folks improve the app as well as other software problem before the problem occurs. Thanks for your comment about the tire… but Tesla warranty could be in the mix, so I hope you are correct and I do thank you for it.
Mr Irwin
So the service app does have issues apparently… and yes if I would have realized that the ónice is on the customer it would have been in the tire shop by now… thanks again and the warranty (lifetime) will take a back seat.
It would also be a good customer idea to have an electrical schematic for the car, and perhaps you know where the 12volt fuse box is on the model S?

I’m afraid you would be wrong about charging out side the system occurs. You provide no proof that the algorithm records all charges made outside the main system. Since the TRUTH is in the actual action and experience. Obviously you are not a systems expert and your observations are not correct. Next you claim that mirroring occurs but provide no proof of that. Next, you do not address the problem of someone hacking the system and crating chaos for the Tesla drivers. Furthermore you have no proof of that as well! Next, there is no on board back up system for the car itself if such should occur. Seems your comment has no validity my friend… are you a Tesla owner? How long have you driven the Tesla? What model do you own. I am glad you have had no problems. But until it occurs your comments need rethinking.. but thanks for them they show that you are considering the problems and possible failures.. I look for future solutions.. what is your intent? Thanks anyway for your time and comment.
Mr Irwin
Is that buttered popcorn🫣

Reactions: drb3333
Ok thanks for the update on the tires, any shop.. so I definitely will check that out, much appreciated. Does that void the lifetime warranty? That was my impression.. but you’ve saved me 500 bucks it true. Next, the app system does not allow for a simple question as this.. but it too could be modified for the customer don’t you think? As an old CIO I probably would have required the programming folks improve the app as well as other software problem before the problem occurs. Thanks for your comment about the tire… but Tesla warranty could be in the mix, so I hope you are correct and I do thank you for it.
Mr Irwin
So the service app does have issues apparently… and yes if I would have realized that the ónice is on the customer it would have been in the tire shop by now… thanks again and the warranty (lifetime) will take a back seat.
It would also be a good customer idea to have an electrical schematic for the car, and perhaps you know where the 12volt fuse box is on the model S?
Oh, before I forget theses tires are ‘chambered’ tires FYI!

First the main system that monitors all the information… this system is NOT immune to an EMP BURST should that occur. Next the system probably isn’t doing what we call mirroring so should the system itself is compromised ALL TESSLAs would become BRICKS! Tesla should create on-board mini back up systems which pull be independent of the main system (probably in California). Next, the proof of this is in the ‘Supercharging’ algorithms. If a long trip is attempted and the car is charged independently or even at a residence that charge is NOT recorded. Thus if in between Supercharge station the mileage to the next Supercharge Station is not recorded… thus pulling the car over to the side of the road which not only dangerous but also obtuse in the algorithm itself (it happened to us on such a long trip in Texas… needed a flat top tow to the next Supercharger! Unacceptable). If the main computer system is hacked in California then it could compromise every Tesla driving in the World… big concern and Tesla has the poorest customer service available on the planet! We own a 2014 and to fix a flat tire on the car at so-called service center cost over 500 bucks… outrageous of course for a flat tire. And the tires are of course “special” tires!
We had the Tesla since 2016 and minor fixes are major expenses… yet we like the Tesla better than any of the other EVs on the market. With that said I do hope (because that is the only thing Tesla owners can do is … hope when it comes to customer service) Tesla might read these blog… comments and address the problems outlined… but we will not hold our breath…
Mr James J Irwin
If there is an EMP burst that large, I think we have other things to consider than just Teslas. Not sure what what the whole recording supercharging distance thing is about either.

Obviously you are not a systems expert

Actually, I am. I've designed and built some of the largest databases and transactional systems in the world. I can practically guarantee you've had the benefit of my work in one form or another.

Your ASSumptions here are mostly incorrect.

Given an EMP pulse, yes, the car would be stranded. So would pretty much every other vehicle built since, 1982 or so.

Any kind of fault-tolerant system design wouldn't be immune to it - both would be in the direct path of such an EMP event.

The onboard systems - especially those that control drive systems - are redundant. Primary and secondary processors cross-validate results.

But don't let facts get in the way of an unhinged rant.

Mr Irwin
I'm not sure what you're trying to say exactly but on my 15 85D MCU1 AP1 I can take a trip and it tells me how far to the destination and the charge level when I get there. And that definitely updates if charged at a 3rd party. It still has a current charge level and what it will be when you get there, just like if you went down a big hill, charge goes up and numbers update...

Sure, It's definitely possible that if Tesla got hacked at the right level the cars could be bricked or otherwise controlled. But that's true for all sorts of car companies and all sorts of other electronics. It's just the state of the world. If you want the computers to help you out and do all the things for you then you have to give up levels of privacy and standalone reliability.
Oh, before I forget theses tires are ‘chambered’ tires FYI!
What " chambered" tires are you buying? I just buy standard Nokian, Michelin, Kumho, etc tires. They have one single chamber that holds air, exactly like every other car I've owned...

Reactions: gillmj24
When I saw this thread title, and the first post content, I was extremely close to considering the post spam (from a moderation level I mean). I havent seen anything that changes that opinion, either, but we generally like to be hesitant on taking mod action like that.

I would suggest the OP dial it back a bit though, and I would also suggest to everyone else that unless something changes in the posting style it would likely be best to not engage in obvious bait.

Reactions: dbldwn02 and Utumno
When I saw this thread title, and the first post content, I was extremely close to considering the post spam (from a moderation level I mean). I havent seen anything that changes that opinion, either, but we generally like to be hesitant on taking mod action like that.

I would suggest the OP dial it back a bit though, and I would also suggest to everyone else that unless something changes in the posting style it would likely be best to not engage in obvious bait.
Advice heeded, post deleted.

Reactions: drb3333
Status
Not open for further replies.