Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model X slowing down Model S production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just wondering why producing 5 production Model X would slow down Model S deliveries by 1 month?... Don't they have a brand new line with new workers? And suppliers should be just fine for the Model S.
It is likely that a lot of Model S orders were finalized once the Model X was revealed and some uncertainty over any possible new features for the S were eliminated and/or people decided they didn't need to wait for the X deliveries after all.

Was that part of your decision for the Oct 1 order? In any case, congratulations.

Was that part of your decision for the Oct 1 order? In any case, congratulations.

Kind of. I was waiting for the new autopilot hardware, but there were no signs of that in the Model X, so I ordered... I'm happy with the current Model S, especially while $2,000 referral discount is still available.

PS. I have clicked order in about 30 hours after reveal, so probably that was't quick enough.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering why producing 5 production Model X would slow down Model S deliveries by 1 month?
Likely because many people were waiting for the X reveal before placing an S order just in case the X had some feature that would cause them to decide to go for the larger vehicle instead of the sedan. When the X did not have a higher level of Autopilot sensors (as far as we know) and was not able to carry larger items than the S (as many expected it would) then they went ahead with the S. And some X reservation holders cancelled and bought an S. Hence the uptick in S orders that Elon mentioned this week, hence the increase in S wait times.
IMO, the X is targeted at a "family" demographic, not a "haul big stuff" demographic. So it is not the "does it all" SUV EV that some expected. But there are likely still 20,000+ X orders so the production line will be super busy with both models for many months to come. And Tesla remains production constrained, not demand constrained for the foreseeable future.

I ordered an 85D a couple of days before the Model S event (but that fell within the change period, just in case). They called on Friday and said the car would be done earlier than predicted. You might get a similar call as well, next week. Or you might not-- you never know with Tesla.

It does seem that, with the Model S (after they've worked through the big backlog related to a new model), they tend to err by delivering early, rather than late.

My DS communicated with me and asked what time was best. I am away this weekend and suggested that if I couldn't get it by Thursday then I would wait til next week. That didn't seem to be a problem, and I know Bert, also on here, noted that his was waiting for him for 10 days at delivery before he could take it home.

The DS communicated with me very early in the process as well, to see if there were any dates I would be traveling, in case it is delivered early.

Personally, my guess (regardless of what Elon says) is that orders are or have been slowing down a bit. There might have been a small boost from X orders converting to S orders, but that's not really good news for Tesla.

This does seem to be the one area where Tesla under-promises and over-delivers!

Actually according to Musk there's been a big jump for the S since the X launch.
I would agree with that. I had an X reservation, but after carefully considering my changing family's needs, I went with the S. After the X reveal, I was pleased that I'd chosen wisely; and also surprised that I could have such a car custom-built for me in less than a month. But, I suppose there are very few parts to put together in an EV. A beauty!

I think that there may have been "some" refinements, at least to the autopilot sensors on the Model X that may offer the potential for increased functionality of the autopilot system in the future. If you look closely at the pics of the Model X on the Tesla webpage you will see that they have two triangles by the rearview mirror facing forward. I assumed Tesla added stereoscopic cameras instead of the one like on our MSs, one would assume they may have also improved other components of the system as well.

You can assume all you want, but the Founders Xs which have been delivered have the same autopilot hardware as the S, at least externally.

I think that there may have been "some" refinements, at least to the autopilot sensors on the Model X that may offer the potential for increased functionality of the autopilot system in the future. If you look closely at the pics of the Model X on the Tesla webpage you will see that they have two triangles by the rearview mirror facing forward. I assumed Tesla added stereoscopic cameras instead of the one like on our MSs, one would assume they may have also improved other components of the system as well.

It is likely that a lot of Model S orders were finalized once the Model X was revealed and some uncertainty over any possible new features for the S were eliminated and/or people decided they didn't need to wait for the X deliveries after all.

I'm in that boat. I was waiting for the Model X launch to see if anything got added to the S. I'm still in waiting mode (mostly for personal reasons I suppose) but I have my model X reservation and still plan on going with the S. Part of me is still clinging to the hope that the Model S nose cone might change based on the new look of the X. Maybe that's ridiculous and I should just go ahead and order.