Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 4.4 seconds vs 5.6 seconds alone worth $10k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have really been struggling with this decision as well. Somedays I wake up with a Yes in mind and others with a No. One point that hasn't been made is resale value. On resale do you effectively get 5k of your 10k investment back?

Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into it....

+1 struggling to decide between 4.4 vs 5.6.

I plan to keep this car for a long time so I think I should go all out and get the deluxe version. Yet, how many times am I really going to go 0-60 in 4.4 secs (probably a few times just to show off, but after that I'll probably just revert to my normal driving habits in which case 5.6 secs is still more than enough)?

Then I start thinking if I keep the car a long time, it might have a chance to become a classic. And should that be the case, would it make a difference if it was performance or non-performance?

Decisions, decisions.

5.6s will already be the fastest car I've ever owned, so my default position is not to get the perf model. I do keep thinking about it though.

It's a tremendously personal and subjective decision, I don't know that there's any objective metric that'll help sway your decision.

If I were already getting the Sig, it'd be some what of a no-brainer at just $10k more. Unless of course you're stretching yourself thin to get the Sig, which begs the question, "why get the Sig if you're stretching yourself thin?". Personally I'd downgrade the Sig to the regular Perf, because as we all know there's a premium you're paying just for the right to have one of the first ones off the assembly line. Rather wait a couple more months for a regular Perf at about the same cost as a Sig.

The 10 K also includes the carbon fiber accents. Take a look at the interior pictures. Since I would be getting the leather, 21's, and all the other things, the it really comes out to 8.5 K, the carbon fiber is the way to go. If you really have to justify it, for that money you are getting something as fast as a Porsche 911 Carrera for the same price.

Personally, I like the carbon fiber better so it's definitely the way to go

Last edited:
Anyone have a guess as to what the battery longevity is between the Performance vs. Standard? Assuming that 99% of the time you're going to drive whichever one you have the same way.

I'm coming from an ICE car already in that 0-60 range and for me this become a replacement for the previously planned replacement. A car that will likely cost around the same when introduced, if not a few grand more. If you just look at the cost as being for speed, it misses the real value of the upgrade. You are getting a Sig interior (maybe not all the color choices), 21" turbines, Upgraded nappa leather (piping and alcantara), auto air suspension, and CF inside and out for that price. It's a great deal when you consider what is in the price/performance range for any other car (ICE or not). A Porsche Carrera is also more expensive and much less practical.

For me? I'm too addicted to the performance to not pull the trigger.

Anyone have a guess as to what the battery longevity is between the Performance vs. Standard? Assuming that 99% of the time you're going to drive whichever one you have the same way.

According to the Features page, "Model S Performance accelerates to 60 miles per hour in 4.4 seconds. If driven the same way as Model S, both cars achieve the same efficiency thanks to the unique powertrain design."

I'm sure they mean, "if driven the same way as the standard Model S ... "