Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intelligent supercharger routing FAIL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So ... we know the navigation intends to do. And does not do (yet).

The workaround is as muleferg noted above (thanks for that)

- navigate to your desired destination
- press Trip
- remove all charging stops
- navigate to the next convenient charging stop using your own judgement

When arriving there: repeat above sequence.

This has worked well for me. Eventually an update will fulfill all our routing dreams (including multiple stops und routing options)

I believe it has a strong priority for making you end up at your destination with as close to a full charge as possible, even if that means driving you almost right past your destination.

Photo-May-27,-2-49-46-PM-2.jpg

I believe it has a strong priority for making you end up at your destination with as close to a full charge as possible, even if that means driving you almost right past your destination.

And in some cases, that would be the right thing to do. The problem is that the Nav system doesn't know if you have a destination charge waiting, so it takes the action that is the least likely to get you into trouble. The last trip I didn't have a destination charge point, and going past the destination and then back meant I had 100 miles of range rather than 40.

ha, i've got an even better one now. from Binghamton the distance I had probably 125 rated miles on the screen but instead of taking me 58 miles directly to my destination, it wanted me to go directly past that plus another 100 miles to the paramus supercharger (which clearly shows I wouldn't have made it since i'd arrive with -21% charge) and turn around and head back 100 miles on the same exact route that I just came from.

No joke, the "intelligent nav" was trying to force me to run out of juice. FAIL.

badnav2.JPG

To me, going past your destination to a Supercharger and doubling back only makes sense if you are going up to 15-20 miles past your destination, so 30-40 miles round trip back to your destination. Beyond that, you would be better off just plugging into 120v rather than spending and hour or more driving around. And hopefully you have a better option than 120v at/near your destination!

Hopefully 6.2-.236's inclusion of destination charging in trip planning will help with these fails.

I just consider it the Segment Planner. Was it that difficult to make it possible to insert a waypoint? Even if the waypoint is only being able to select a specific SC it would have been much more useful to, you know, plan-a-trip. I'm over the initial shock of not being able to avoid tolls or highways. In the mean time I will keep my fingers cross for the big 7.0.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "I win" for most ridiculous routing by Trip Planner. :)

Here is the routing from my house to Mobile, AL supercharger using Trip Planner - keep in mind it is picking this route when I have 221 miles rated range as my current state of charge (more than enough to reach Mobile via direct routing as seen below):

IMG_0123.jpg

4,565 miles to reach Mobile, AL - here is the direct route:

IMG_0124.jpg

Hmmmmm.... I wonder which way to go....

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "I win" for most ridiculous routing by Trip Planner. :)

Here is the routing from my house to Mobile, AL supercharger using Trip Planner - keep in mind it is picking this route when I have 221 miles rated range as my current state of charge (more than enough to reach Mobile via direct routing as seen below):
4,565 miles to reach Mobile, AL - here is the direct route:

...(deleted picture showing 142 mile routing to Mobile, AL)...

Hmmmmm.... I wonder which way to go....

That is especially curious when you consider that it is 167 miles from Corsicana, TX to Ardmore, OK, and 156 miles from Ardmore, OK to Perry, OK, while your direct routing to Mobile, AL was 142 miles.

Perhaps, the 198 miles from Baton Rouge, LA to Mobile, AL broke the chain, but that is just stupid. Calling this routing algorithm "Alpha" is being generous, "Beta" is just a dream of Elon.

I don't have a picture, but here is my one contribution. I don't use it that often because I'm 130 miles to the nearest supercharger.

I needed to get from home to the body shop in Plano (sigh, see my other thread). 109 miles direct to the body shop, due west. I think I had 240 miles or so on my rated miles. Instead, it says I should drive 130 South/Southwest to the Corsicana supercharger (5 minutes charging required) then the 75 miles due North up to the body shop in Plano. Completely ridiculous and throws out almost all confidence in the nav system.

And yes, NOLA_Mike, that is unequivocally the epic win (err...Fail) for the navigation system. You get the prize.

As ridiculous as that routing is, I at least "get" most of it, once it started you out going West instead of East. But once it would have had you up by Michigan, why not cut down straight through Indiana and Kentucky? What I'm saying is there's not just the one catastrophic mistake being made, and then everything after that actually makes sense. There are multiple huge mistakes.

Mind blown!!

That is AWESOME. Talk about a road trip!! lol maybe it's tesla's way of saying "get out and drive a little!!" lol

BOOM! LOL - I just can't stop chuckling when I look at that route. The software engineers should post that on their wall of shame... * :)

*(Note that before someone comes here and blasts me for insulting Tesla software engineers this is all meant in good fun. I have written software - I know what it's like.)

Mike

BOOM! LOL - I just can't stop chuckling when I look at that route. The software engineers should post that on their wall of shame... * :)

*(Note that before someone comes here and blasts me for insulting Tesla software engineers this is all meant in good fun. I have written software - I know what it's like.)

Mike

I've noticed that routing TO a SuperCharger sometimes works differently than routing to a destination beyond the same SC. See what happens if you pick Pensacola instead.

Beta software can be entertaining