Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm starting to think OTA updates aren't such a good thing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure they do test, and a regression like this one would be a "test escape" that should trigger a review and new test method to catch it in the future.

I'm not a Tesla insider, but I work in software development. Requiring software to be 100% bug-free is unrealistic, but rapid iteration can get fixes out more quickly.

Whichever way you cut it I think many car manufacturers (not just Tesla) are wrong to tightly couple software iteration with hardware functionality.

It’s a car, not a software application. Properly tested, paid for and working features should come before agile software development. If that means it takes longer to release then so be it imo.

Quite agree.

I’ve worked in mission critical systems (the sort that would make potentially worldwide news if they seriously malfunctioned) and have friends/colleagues who have worked on even more safety critical systems (the sort that would kill people if they malfunctioned) and I am sure none of us that worked on these would agree that fail fast, fix fast is how you should develop these types of systems.

From my point of view, I put car systems, especially automated driving, in the same category.

But I am sure some may think of it as an app or website etc where something not working is merely an inconvenience, at worse a soon forgotten loss of brand reputation.

Just because you can doesn’t mean that you should. It’s only a matter of time before that realisation dawn on most.

Braking summon or Spotify is very different from a software defect that threatens lives. Agile methodology requires thorough test, and I'm sure that mission-critical functions are tested extensively and rarely tinkered with.

Does anyone know of a Tesla software update that endangered safety? (Not including "phantom braking" and "all of FSD" lol)

Braking summon or Spotify is very different from a software defect that threatens lives. Agile methodology requires thorough test, and I'm sure that mission-critical functions are tested extensively and rarely tinkered with.

Does anyone know of a Tesla software update that endangered safety? (Not including "phantom braking" and "all of FSD" lol)

I don't think any of the releases have endangered lives or messed with safety (that we know of), but a few of them have increased the risk of potentially costly incidents.

Not to mention that the releases are known to alter the way existing features function, which means constant relearning of how certain things work.

Last edited:
I’ve disconnected my car from Wi-Fi after the last update nightmare, which erased all settings and profiles (except keys and odometer), and now forces me to have those unbelievably stupid wipers on auto mode any time TACC or AP is on.

Presume Tesla will complain if I ever need service but until then I’m not bothering with updates until something which sounds really appealing comes along.

It’s interesting that they broke it in the same way about 18 months ago. It’s surprising that it’s so vulnerable to minor changes elsewhere in the code, and perhaps more so that Tesla doesn’t have a test vehicle that they put through the basics before releasing the update to the world.

I don’t remember Summon working on my car the few times I’ve tried to use it recently. It’s never been particularly useful, but the last 2 or 3 times it’s just not done anything (it makes the noises like it will, but it doesn’t move)
I can can confirm that summon now does absolutely sod all on my car car too. Apart from make some noises and turn lights on and off!

It used to move.

Anyone put in a service request?

EDIT

I’ve put one for what it’s worth 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel
I very rarely use summon but it has got me out of trouble in the occasional car park, so I would be irritated if I needed it to save the day and it didn't.

That said, about a year ago maybe - my summon randomly stopped working. I had a service tech coming down for something else anyway so I showed him, he reported back and a few days letter I got the usual cop out message of "known bug, firmware update future blah blah"

I think a couple software updates later it did start working again so.... yeah.

Reactions: ringi
I have had an issue with the sound in my SR+ only coming from the dash speakers until I momentarily switch off bluetooth then on again.
After I do that it all works as normal and Service/Support have informed me that it is a known issue that will be sorted from firmware .26 so I just have to wait.

I haven't seen others complaining about this and suppose that its an issue between my S22 moby and the car, maybe only certain configs.

“(insert person epithet of choice), should never do an update until I check the forums to see what worked or not.”
— Owner of vehicle trying to get car out of garage after previous evening’s software update.

“What? Haven’t seen that but I’m certain that’s to be fixed in a coming update.”
— Any Tesla employee actually reached by owner to discuss any problem.

“Ooops”
— Scrum team lead after watching the cap over the missile silo fail to open just after engine ignition. In the previous software version, the silo opened before ignition but that team was diverted to deliver a new anime product to help button pushers pass the wait time between nuclear wars.

I can can confirm that summon now does absolutely sod all on my car car too. Apart from make some noises and turn lights on and off!

It used to move.

Anyone put in a service request?

EDIT

I’ve put one for what it’s worth 😂
Tried summon in the supermarket car park.
Standard summon - zippo
come to me summon - full lock the wrong way and a half inch reverse. I was stood in front!!

Autopark worked first time. First time in a long time!

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel
I would agree. in the 6 months i've had the car, 2 sets of OTA updates have caused my auto unlock when the phone is near feature to stop working. The first time I couldn't even unlock with the key card and had to resort to unlocking from the app. Both were sorted with a further update a few days later. But i don't understand how they can break working features!

Quick update on summon.

my service request has confirmed that a software bug is causing summon to start and complete without moving the car.

At the moment, they don’t know if it’s an app or car issue.

An update to cure it will need to be released…

One minor thing I’d not spotted before:

in summon my iPhone shows a “come to me” button.
In my wife’s identical phone, same app version, the button says “go to target”

What do others have? App version 4.23.2