Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having problem to download latest OTA update, anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model Y behaves strangely this time while previous 2 updates were smooth and fine. I don't know what's wrong and need suggestions.

It's the latest "recall", nothing important, just text is too small or whatever. Software is 2024.2.2.1

Here is what happens, it's been almost 3 days now, it tried to download the software, but no progress. My Model Y connects to Wi-Fi(with good signal) as usual. It stays in downloading status just like that. The worst thing is, it eats battery so bad, I lost 5% per day because of this! I can't do anything, can't make it going forward, can't stop it either! I have restarted the router, the Telsa software system, nothing helps. I never had such problem and I don't think anything I changed it either.

Any help on this one? Should I take to the service?

Reactions: Kurt-D-Yguy
My model Y behaves strangely this time while previous 2 updates were smooth and fine. I don't know what's wrong and need suggestions.

It's the latest "recall", nothing important, just text is too small or whatever. Software is 2024.2.2.1

Here is what happens, it's been almost 3 days now, it tried to download the software, but no progress. My Model Y connects to Wi-Fi(with good signal) as usual. It stays in downloading status just like that. The worst thing is, it eats battery so bad, I lost 5% per day because of this! I can't do anything, can't make it going forward, can't stop it either! I have restarted the router, the Telsa software system, nothing helps. I never had such problem and I don't think anything I changed it either.

I think that prior to taking it in for service, you should plug into your charger and try again. Were you at a low SOC?

I would go into service mode and kick off a software reinstall. That will reinstall the version you already have, and should clear the pending update. (And maybe then they will offer you the next version, 2024.2.3, which hopefully will download better for you.)
Thanks a lot for your suggestion! Reinstall software in service mode seems working! At least now the problem seems to be gone, no more updating so far, car is back to normal.

Reactions: JonB65 and MP3Mike
I am on the same boat. 2024.2.2.1 is stuck at 100% from last three days. Opened multiple service requests with Tesla but no one bothered to contact.
Is Reinstall Software in Service Mode a safe thing to do? It pops up so many warnings!

Screenshot_20240206-161720.png

I am on the same boat. 2024.2.2.1 is stuck at 100% from last three days. Opened multiple service requests with Tesla but no one bothered to contact.
Is Reinstall Software in Service Mode a safe thing to do? It pops up so many warnings!

View attachment 1016631
So far I don't see anything wrong with software reinstalling. It actually installed the latest version(which was stuck for a few days) for me and keeps all previous personal settings.

View attachment 1016631
I had the same issue and I contacted local service centre and scheduled for service repair. After one day they found out some internal issue and told me they need to replace my car computer.

• Helpful
Reactions: AbraDabra007

View attachment 1016631
I would recommend to try soft reset and hard reset few times and try to install the SW again making sure you are in a good Wi-Fi location.
Soft reset( pressing the two scroll buttons on steering wheel)
Hard reset( going into controls and powering down the car for 120sec before waking up again )
Hope this helps

i
I had the same issue and I spent two days figuring out things by trying all different troubleshooting techniques. Finally scheduled a service repair and found out the issue was something different causing the SW update to run into loops. They told
me they will replace my car computer ( covered under warranty). Car feels all new again.

Update: Tesla service guy (quite technical) called me yesterday and did a remote "re-hand shake" and this solved the issue overnight.
BTW, I asked the service guy about Software Re-Install and he quite strongly advocated against it. He said lot of cars got bricked by that process and the customer is always on their own for any repair costs including swap of computer if needed. I have no ways to verify that but it sounded quite scary.

Update: Tesla service guy (quite technical) called me yesterday and did a remote "re-hand shake" and this solved the issue overnight.
BTW, I asked the service guy about Software Re-Install and he quite strongly advocated against it. He said lot of cars got bricked by that process and the customer is always on their own for any repair costs including swap of computer if needed. I have no ways to verify that but it sounded quite scary.
Thanks for the update! Glad it's been solved by re-hand shake.

I had a similar issue but my cars under warranty so they replaced the computer without any cost and gave me the reason that SW update was stuck in some repetitive loop and computer panel had some internal issue.

Having this issue as we speak. 4 days ago, after car was sitting at the airport for a week, it began downloading software update 2024.2.3 and went into a continuous loop of downloading 0-100% without ever installing. After 2 days I contact customer support and they tried to resend the update and again it went into same downloading loop (excellent wifi here). Went into service mode and tried to push last successful update back onto the car 2024.2.2.1 and for the last 2 days this version has been stuck in the same download loop as 2024.2.3. Called customer support again today and they told me its on their end and they see that it is queued and that because there are a lot of people updating currently it might take a few days? Sounded kinda weird to me especially since its downloading just not installing.

Its not really a big deal to me except I am also losing ~5% battery per day with this continuous download loop and I am also concerned if its something with the computer itself especially since it previously successfully downloaded and installed 2024.2.2.1. Have tried to schedule service through the app and through customer service and have not gotten any response. Super annoying.

Having this issue as we speak. 4 days ago, after car was sitting at the airport for a week, it began downloading software update 2024.2.3 and went into a continuous loop of downloading 0-100% without ever installing. After 2 days I contact customer support and they tried to resend the update and again it went into same downloading loop (excellent wifi here). Went into service mode and tried to push last successful update back onto the car 2024.2.2.1 and for the last 2 days this version has been stuck in the same download loop as 2024.2.3. Called customer support again today and they told me its on their end and they see that it is queued and that because there are a lot of people updating currently it might take a few days? Sounded kinda weird to me especially since its downloading just not installing.

Its not really a big deal to me except I am also losing ~5% battery per day with this continuous download loop and I am also concerned if its something with the computer itself especially since it previously successfully downloaded and installed 2024.2.2.1. Have tried to schedule service through the app and through customer service and have not gotten any response. Super annoying.
My problem came back again after I entered service mode and 'fixed' it last week! So requested a service(it only allows me to submit as a concern if I chose software update issue). Then I called service center and talked to them. They told me that: yes, they have received a few calls/cases with exactly issue which I am experiencing now, they know this issue but don't know why. It needs engineer to investigate. So I reserve an appointment which is Friday(earliest).

Currently, they told me they pushed another update to me to test it works or not, just tested, it's the same as before. You are right, it should not be queue problem in server side because mine also downloaded at 100% but stuck right there, without initialization of installation at all. Now I also suspect it could be the hardware failure somewhere. Will figure it out this Friday.

Finally, after a third attempt at contacting customer support and explaining the issue they scheduled me for a service appointment on the 23rd of February. After the service appointment was scheduled, the local service center messaged me through the Tesla App pretty quickly telling me to do a "hard reset" (steering wheel scroll wheel buttons) which I explained I had already done. They advised that the issue would be resolved by doing this. Obviously I already knew it wouldn't fix the issue because I had already tried this. I did it again to please them and told them again it didn't work and they passed it off to their virtual technicians. The virtual technicians sent the latest available firmware version to my car and this time it successfully installed (software version 2024.2.2.1). After it was installed I asked a couple of more questions in regards to why it was version 2024.2.2.1 that was installed and not 2024.2.3 and they said "the software development team was able to identify significant corruption in the version 2024.2.3 and that the latest version is 2024.2.2.1".

I am not sure why this took almost a week and 3 separate phone calls to service support but the problem has been fixed (for now). Hopefully this will help some of you if you're running into similar issues.

For some data, I was losing ~5% battery overnight while it was stuck in the downloading loop. Car was still functioning normally other than that but the Tesla App and what the screen in the vehicle was showing matched the entire time.

2023 MYLR

- KC

• Helpful