Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla still has build quality concern.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y LR, delivered at Nov. 2023, Manufactured in Austin

Out of the delivery center, I didn't notice anything usually until I drove faster than 50mph. It gives a high-pitch squeak(over my head), depending on the wind, it comes and goes, with higher or lower whistle sound. At first I though it was wind/road noise but soon I realized it's not. Then it becomes consistent, sometimes it comes around as low as 40mph, sometimes it comes around 70mph. I know it's a manufacture defect, but I was busy and usually don't use highway too often so I keep postponing to take it to service. Until this week with software updating issue, I finally scheduled the service.

The technician immediately acknowledged the problem, and he's familiar with the problem since he has seen many problems like this. So basically it is a manufacture defect(not sure only in Austin or Fremont or both) with the either the pillars, windshield glass or even roof glass as he explained. He has done replacing those for few model Ys already. After carefully diagnosing, mine is left A-Pillar causing the problem and they did a replacement of that. It took them half day to figure out exactly which parts causing the problem and another half day to replace it, all based on their previous experience as he claimed. (replacing A-pillar is a relatively small job, if it's roof glass or windshield, it would take much longer and they also need to order the parts first)

Good work of the technician and I am happy that my squeak problem is fixed in such a reasonable time. However, I am kind of disappointed that over these years Tesla still has quality problem like this for a mature product. I never had such issue buying other cars before. Hopefully that's the only one defect, but who knows...

My next door neighbor bought TMY a little later and so far I haven't heard his complains(good). However, one of my friends who bought TMY half year earlier than me, already had TWICE shift gear not working problem -- can't put on D drive. They took it to service center also twice and they didn't find out what's wrong, but they did some firmware update or something like that. So far it hasn't happened yet but still they are worried.

Last edited:
I just took delivery of a new 2024 MYLR and had the infamous whistle at speeds above 46MPH in my case. A quick Reddit search yielded the solution. It was the driver's side mirror black triangle "sail" piece that was slightly loose allowing air to sneak behind it making essentially turning it into a "reed". The tech heard it immediately and stated that the driver's side triangle trim is loose on many of them from the OEM manufacturer. i confirmed it at the showroom by lightly pushing on the display model and it was in deep loose. There is no adhesive connection it to the rubber behind it. So the fix was to remove the mirror assemble, inject a silicone adhesive and replace it back onto the door. It's been fixed since.

What I am now chasing a is a "rustling" wind noise at the top of my driver's side windshield. There is no water intrusion. It does sound like it's allowing some air in at speeds above 50 MPH. I did note that the windshield was installed a little crooked where the gap to the roof glass is wider (7mm) vs the passenger side (4mm). I don't know if that is enough to cause the wind noise. The windshield is sitting slightly higher than the roof which it is supposed to to prevent noise. And I did try to isolate the noise by taping the gap with painter's tape between the top of the windshield and the roof glass and the noise is still there. I might need a service visit soon.

Can anyone measure the gap on their roof from the top edge of the windshield glass to the roof glass and report it here? I'd appreciate it. I am afraid that if the windshield being installed askew would be the cause and the only remedy would be a windshield replacement which might lead to other concerns down the line including potential damage to the interior.

FYI, this was a 1/2024 Austin, TX build. So being a new factory doesn't guarantee a better build.

Attachments

• IMG_1633.jpeg
    IMG_1633.jpeg
    493 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1632.jpeg
    IMG_1632.jpeg
    640 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Reactions: chuanren20
I just took delivery of a new 2024 MYLR and had the infamous whistle at speeds above 46MPH in my case. A quick Reddit search yielded the solution. It was the driver's side mirror black triangle "sail" piece that was slightly loose allowing air to sneak behind it making essentially turning it into a "reed". The tech heard it immediately and stated that the driver's side triangle trim is loose on many of them from the OEM manufacturer. i confirmed it at the showroom by lightly pushing on the display model and it was in deep loose. There is no adhesive connection it to the rubber behind it. So the fix was to remove the mirror assemble, inject a silicone adhesive and replace it back onto the door. It's been fixed since.

What I am now chasing a is a "rustling" wind noise at the top of my driver's side windshield. There is no water intrusion. It does sound like it's allowing some air in at speeds above 50 MPH. I did note that the windshield was installed a little crooked where the gap to the roof glass is wider (7mm) vs the passenger side (4mm). I don't know if that is enough to cause the wind noise. The windshield is sitting slightly higher than the roof which it is supposed to to prevent noise. And I did try to isolate the noise by taping the gap with painter's tape between the top of the windshield and the roof glass and the noise is still there. I might need a service visit soon.

Can anyone measure the gap on their roof from the top edge of the windshield glass to the roof glass and report it here? I'd appreciate it. I am afraid that if the windshield being installed askew would be the cause and the only remedy would be a windshield replacement which might lead to other concerns down the line including potential damage to the interior.

FYI, this was a 1/2024 Austin, TX build. So being a new factory doesn't guarantee a better build.
I suggest you take it to the service center to have them check it up and fix it. That's what I did. You are right, it's no guarantee that newer is better at least for Tesla, kind of disappointed.

Reactions: dsc888

My guess would be a slight mis-alignment of the door window when closed leaving a small gap. If so, it's a quick and easy fix.

Your roof window and windshield look fine and I highly doubt that is an issue or the issue.

Reactions: dsc888
Model Y LR, delivered at Nov. 2023, Manufactured in Austin

Out of the delivery center, I didn't notice anything usually until I drove faster than 50mph. It gives a high-pitch squeak(over my head), depending on the wind, it comes and goes, with higher or lower whistle sound. At first I though it was wind/road noise but soon I realized it's not. Then it becomes consistent, sometimes it comes around as low as 40mph, sometimes it comes around 70mph. I know it's a manufacture defect, but I was busy and usually don't use highway too often so I keep postponing to take it to service. Until this week with software updating issue, I finally scheduled the service.

The technician immediately acknowledged the problem, and he's familiar with the problem since he has seen many problems like this. So basically it is a manufacture defect(not sure only in Austin or Fremont or both) with the either the pillars, windshield glass or even roof glass as he explained. He has done replacing those for few model Ys already. After carefully diagnosing, mine is left A-Pillar causing the problem and they did a replacement of that. It took them half day to figure out exactly which parts causing the problem and another half day to replace it, all based on their previous experience as he claimed. (replacing A-pillar is a relatively small job, if it's roof glass or windshield, it would take much longer and they also need to order the parts first)

Good work of the technician and I am happy that my squeak problem is fixed in such a reasonable time. However, I am kind of disappointed that over these years Tesla still has quality problem like this for a mature product. I never had such issue buying other cars before. Hopefully that's the only one defect, but who knows...

My next door neighbor bought TMY a little later and so far I haven't heard his complains(good). However, one of my friends who bought TMY half year earlier than me, already had TWICE shift gear not working problem -- can't put on D drive. They took it to service center also twice and they didn't find out what's wrong, but they did some firmware update or something like that. So far it hasn't happened yet but still they are worried.
You're talking about something that was so minor you didn't bother to bring it in until over a year later. And, Tesla promptly and correctly fixed it under warranty. I'd be pretty pleased.

"I never had such issue buying other cars before." You should consider yourself lucky. If you look into the stats, other manufacturers have PLENTY of quality issues. And, dealerships will tell you that's the main reason why consumers need dealerships; to protect the consumer from all of the manufacturers' defects.

It sounds like you have an awesome car and received awesome service, especially when compared to the broader automotive industry.

Reactions: holmgang
My guess would be a slight mis-alignment of the door window when closed leaving a small gap. If so, it's a quick and easy fix.

Your roof window and windshield look fine and I highly doubt that is an issue or the issue.
Actually, my doors and windows are well sealed and I can clearly hear it at the top of my windshield like my old ICE cars if I accidentally leave the moon roof open a smidge while driving.

But I agree that the 7mm gaps should not play into it as the door windows have even a larger gap to the B pillar glass and cause no such noise. I will indeed have to book a service appointment to have them figure it out.

I suggest you take it to the service center to have them check it up and fix it. That's what I did. You are right, it's no guarantee that newer is better at least for Tesla, kind of disappointed.
Indeed. Just a bit disappointed that wind noise is still an issue after so many years given that they have been making the Y since 2020 and this is at their newest factory with supposedly latest equipment.

Actually, my doors and windows are well sealed and I can clearly hear it at the top of my windshield like my old ICE cars if I accidentally leave the moon roof open a smidge while driving.

But I agree that the 7mm gaps should not play into it as the door windows have even a larger gap to the B pillar glass and cause no such noise. I will indeed have to book a service appointment to have them figure it out.
Like all cars with frameless doors, sometimes the window can be mis-aligned in the closed position and allow a small gap for air to get through. It is common and wind noise can be hard to locate with our ears, so I thought I would mention it.

Regardless of the source, a service visit is best.

Unless you're just hearing normal wind noise which is more pronounced in an EV as @nate704 mentioned. The ICE engine being loud actually hides a lot of road and wind noise. In an EV, these sounds appear louder to someone new to EV's because they are not used to hearing them. Even though the interior noise is actually much less than an ICE vehicle. The ambient noise in an EV is less and different at the same time. But an EV is not silent by any means as @nate704 noted, especially at higher speeds as wind resistance builds.

Try to apply some masking tape over the gap and re test it. it might not be the culprit of the noise. Is this your first EV? maybe you have too much expectation in terms of noise. It is not ZERO noise car.
I actually tried the tape method last night and it was NOT fixed unfortunately. So yeah, the even windshield to roof glass gaps does not seem to be the cause.

No, this is my 2nd EV. I have a 2021 Model 3 LR and took it out for a drive last night on the freeway and didn't hear the rustling noise at the top of the windshield near the A pillar. I knew that the Y would have more wind noise as it is a CUV with a more upright design but the buffeting is pretty bad as the speeds past 50-60 MPH. I can turn on the radio to hide it but that only works to about 70MPH. I would have to drive another Y to see if it's normal or if it's just mine to be honest.

Like all cars with frameless doors, sometimes the window can be mis-aligned in the closed position and allow a small gap for air to get through. It is common and wind noise can be hard to locate with our ears, so I thought I would mention it.

Regardless of the source, a service visit is best.

Unless you're just hearing normal wind noise which is more pronounced in an EV as @nate704 mentioned. The ICE engine being loud actually hides a lot of road and wind noise. In an EV, these sounds appear louder to someone new to EV's because they are not used to hearing them. Even though the interior noise is actually much less than an ICE vehicle. The ambient noise in an EV is less and different at the same time. But an EV is not silent by any means as @nate704 noted, especially at higher speeds as wind resistance builds.
Thanks for the reply! Being that I come from a 2021 Model 3LR, I do have experience with EVs and the increased perception of noise, creaks and rattles due to lack of engine and exhaust sounds. As I had noted in my reply above, I did tape up my windshield to roof glass gaps last night with painter's tape and went on a freeway drive and it made no difference. So it's looking more likely to be perhaps the side glass or possibly door trim that may be ill-fitting. I did use a flashlight and looked at the window fitment to the weather seal and noted it seems to be consistent along its entire length and vs the passenger side. So it looks like a service appointment is in the cards for me.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
You're past the window 100-mile mark to make a service claim. Repairs, if deemed within spec, will likely be out of pocket.

From what I've seen, the 2024 is a lot better than the 2022; like any manufacturer, some cars will be bad apples.

You're past the window 100-mile mark to make a service claim. Repairs, if deemed within spec, will likely be out of pocket.

From what I've seen, the 2024 is a lot better than the 2022; like any manufacturer, some cars will be bad apples.
I will give it a shot and see what they say. My understanding is that Tesla will fix "noises" such as rattles and squeaks for the first year according to the master tech who worked on my 3 last year. It's at their discretion.