Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model Y road noise / wind noise Seeking Advice on excessive wind noise!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,I'm new to the forums (this is my first post here!). I acquired a Tesla Model Y Long Range just a week ago. On the delivery day, I encountered an issue with water leaking into the trunk. The staff was apologetic, took the car in, kept it for a few days gave me a loaner, and then returned it. However, upon driving it on the highway, I noticed excessive wind noise and observed numerous scratches on the vehicle. Subsequently, I decided to schedule an appointment with the service team.

During the appointment, a technician drove the car, and I am certain that the road noise is louder than other Teslas. My dad and I compared it to the experience of sitting in a plane when traveling at speeds of 45 mph and above. I also had a Honda civic which sounds less noisy then the Model Y. The technician claims the noise is "normal." I have set up another appointment for next week as they didn't have a loaner available for me during the visit, and we needed the car. They said the loaners are first come, first serve and they removed uber credits because they had a large number of loaners for the customers to use but then they ran out.

I am uncertain about what to do next. The technician mentioned that he didn't hear any whistling noise, they said they will have someone else look over too. Eventhough, we can't hear the whistle, but we can clearly hear the wind & road noise. I have been eagerly waiting to own a Tesla for almost five years, and it's not even been a week, yet I have already encountered several problems. I would try and go to another service center but I had less than 100 mile warranty when i put in the serivce request and now its above 100 miles. I also wanted to know if someone else had these problems; Do they charge service fees if I request to test the wind noise at a different serivce center after my next appointment is over?

I anticipate your replies and thank you in advance.

Get a few free decibel meter apps for your phone and try them out and compare the results. Place the phone in the front and the back of your car and near each door, compare results.

Inspect the trunk seal in case they screwed that up.

Inspect the window glass on the hatch, perhaps they redid the SIKA Flex to adhere the glass to the hatch and screwed that up.

Inspect the roof glass, if that's where the leak was, perhaps they screwed up the sika flex on that.

Get a few free decibel meter apps for your phone and try them out and compare the results. Place the phone in the front and the back of your car and near each door, compare results.

Inspect the trunk seal in case they screwed that up.

Inspect the window glass on the hatch, perhaps they redid the SIKA Flex to adhere the glass to the hatch and screwed that up.

Inspect the roof glass, if that's where the leak was, perhaps they screwed up the sika flex on that.
Okay, Thank you so much! I'm planning on doing a demo drive on a new model y this weekend a few days before the service appointment and I will compare the sound! I think they definitely messed up with the sika flex.
I really appreciate it.
IMG_5668.jpeg
IMG_5667.jpeg
IMG_5666.jpeg
IMG_5665.jpeg